RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Moonbeam to solve CA massive budget problem in a few month

Of course, Im not going to sign any bills until we get the budget solved and that may take me a couple of months.

Governor Moonbeam

Not Banned

better than most of the drivel we get

cut taxes, cut spending, force govt to live within its means and reduce fees

govt living within its means right now means firing teachers, closing Hwy rest stops, reducing aid for folks, raising tuitions

hey jackwads, fees have been raised because the govt hasn't been able to pass a tax hike in years and they need revenue. you have a handful of congressmen holding the entire state for ransom which is why our budget is 5 months late every year
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    cut taxes, cut spending, force govt to live within its means and reduce fees

govt living within its means right now means firing teachers, closing Hwy rest stops, reducing aid for folks, raising tuitions

hey jackwads, fees have been raised because the govt hasn't been able to pass a tax hike in years and they need revenue. you have a handful of congressmen holding the entire state for ransom which is why our budget is 5 months late every year
    I guess the solution is to keep borrowing, and inflate the debt away by printing money, all while hoping the currency doesn't implode.

Excellent plan.

So far so good (said the man as he fell past the 20th floor).
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    I guess the solution is to keep borrowing, and inflate the debt away by printing money, all while hoping the currency doesn't implode.

Excellent plan.

The problem is the proposition system itself. The Government is required to fund many of these items since they were initiatives passed by the voters (without a requisite tax increase that represents the real cost). So were in a conundrum. Need a majority in the legislature, or proposition to raise taxes..neither of which will ever happen. Or we have to start cutting essential services... Fire Dept...Police...etc.

Were hosed.
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    If I were elected governor, my first act would be to layoff all law enforcement officers,shutter the prisons, and cut off unemployment and welfare benefits to balance the budget. Then, I'd sit back and watch the conservative baby boomers, corporate officers, and "patriots" stain their pants when they miss the peace the bulk of their tax dollars provides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spinner
    If I were elected governor, my first act would be to layoff all law enforcement officers,shutter the prisons, and cut off unemployment and welfare benefits to balance the budget. Then, I'd sit back and watch the conservative baby boomers, corporate officers, and "patriots" stain their pants when they miss the peace the bulk of their tax dollars provides.
    Governors get to do all that? It ain't the same as Emporer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spinner
    See, the thing is, we'd all jump in our G-5s and zip to the Caymans to visit our money, where we'd watch the Demopocalypse on pay-per-view.
    Hell is other posters

Not Banned

se Bent's response

Quote Originally Posted by Andy69

Excellent plan.

we have simple majority to raise spending (by initiative) but 2/3 majority (in state Congress) to raise taxes to pay for it
    so there are 9 state congressmen who simply refuse to raise taxes
    so they do an end around to raise fees to generate some of it

the rest they just cut essential services, we are not in a 'tighten your belt' mode
    we are losing valuable assets (teachers for one)
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    As for ballot initiatives, we voters have only ourselves to blame.

High speed train from LA to SF (Prop 1A, 2008)? We really need that? $9.95 Billion borrowed money? I wonder how much of that $9.95 Billion has been spent? What for? Consultants? Experts? $9.95 Billion doesn't sound like a lot of money when logically, I'd expect a lot of people to lose their homes/business/etc, to eminent domain. And this state has very expensive real estate.

Random Examples: In Home care full of fraud. City of Bell scandal.

A Random Observation while driving by: The city of Rosemead's mailboxes are spray painted (not even the right color blue, originally they are epoxy painted) and adjacent light posts, sidewalks, etc. are also over sprayed blue. So who's brother got that contract and hired hack amateurs to do the work? Money was spent, but look at how they spent it.

More taxes? Are you kidding? We can give 100% of our income to government and they will manage to squander it away, if not out-right steal it.

I don't think anyone knows if we have a spending problem or "revenue" problem... I think we have distribution problem. It's too easy to commit fraud in this state and there is minimum enforcement.

I have no problem forking out more money in taxes if it's actually spent on what it's supposed to be spent on. But why should I, knowing that my contribution is being used to reward bad behavior and fraud?

Our priorities are all whacked.

Another example: City of San Gabriel mayor gets arrested in a domestic violence case with his alleged girlfriend. DA is slapping him with 2 felony counts and one misdemeanor. He'll probably do more jail time than some convicted rapist who just got let out due to prison overcrowding and the fact that his last crime (the reason why he was in prison again) got categorized as "non-violent".

tk

waterproof*
    you people should look at my Canada thread...
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    The problem is the proposition system itself. The Government is required to fund many of these items since they were initiatives passed by the voters (without a requisite tax increase that represents the real cost). So were in a conundrum. Need a majority in the legislature, or proposition to raise taxes..neither of which will ever happen. Or we have to start cutting essential services... Fire Dept...Police...etc.

Were hosed.
    Exactly and this can be traced way back to the voter outrage of the 1970's and the much ballyhooed Proposition 13 ,,, the No more taxes but not action to cut spending Howard Jarvis Act. .

Let's face it, pogo was right. The majority of voters, regardless of their political persuasion, are either selfish, or short-sighted, or both.