Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

The most SHOCKING AR15 story in the media!

Chief: Rochester man scares off burglars with AR 15 rifle | www.WHEC.com

RIT Students Accosted By Gunmen In Their Home - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

BTW, I went to RIT....

The thing I'm shocked at is it even made the news.......

Note however the editorial comment at the end of the channel 10 story by the 'news man'.

Expect even fewer of this type of story in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low drag View Post
    Chief: Rochester man scares off burglars with AR 15 rifle | www.WHEC.com

RIT Students Accosted By Gunmen In Their Home - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

BTW, I went to RIT....

The thing I'm shocked at is it even made the news.......

Note however the editorial comment at the end of the channel 10 story by the 'news man'.

Here's my AR15.

Photobucket
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

John Kenneth Galbraith

RoadBikeReview Member
    an ar-15 is a piss poor home defense weapon IMHO , shotgun or pistol a much better choice.

Unless your home defense is more interested in long range encounters. So if your main hallway is 100 meters long, then i would use the other choices aviable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    an ar-15 is a piss poor home defense weapon IMHO , shotgun or pistol a much better choice.

Unless your home defense is more interested in long range encounters. So if your main hallway is 100 meters long, then i would use the other choices aviable.
    Strictly speaking the AR15 (with typical 5.56 cartridge) is a much better choice than a shotgun, and that is in my well informed opinion.
    It is not my first choice but if over penetration of walls is one of your top concerns then an AR15 is an excellent choice. That is way many SWAT teams in the US have switch from 9mm submachineguns to short barrel AR15s.

But like I said in my first post, my only shock is it made the news.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Its no real shock, people use guns responsibly every day to defend themselves in thier home. Its when some nut job takes one and goes kills 20 plus innocent people cause he is mad att he world that we have to find a way to curtail.

Thats why i said, you can defend yourself equally well with a 7 shot 45, or a 5 shot pump action, or even a ar 15 with a ten round clip. Its allows you ample home defence and allows us on the outside world a chance to survive if you go all crazy like. My chances are much better if you only have ten rounds to shoot before reloading then if you are settign there with a 20,30,50, or 100 round mag.

I get the guns, i shoot an m-16 for the air force, its great fun, i get that. All im saying is trying to limit the damage a bad guy can do while still allowing you ample firepower to defend your home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think the AR15 is a horrible weapon for home defense. Shorter than a shotgun, without such a spread and eleventy times more accurate than most people could ever shoot a pistol under real life stress. Throw in some night vision optics and it gives the shooter a nice upper hand when defending their home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The choice of personal defense weapon is so ... personal. Every person and every physical location presents good and bad elements. My choice won't be yours. And your choice won't be her's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pretty fun, all this talk about which gun would be the best for home protection.

The gun used to scare the perps away was UNLOADED. That's my kind of deterrent!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Pretty fun, all this talk about which gun would be the best for home protection.

After all those guys shot at you and before karma got even?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    After all those guys shot at you and before karma got even?
    Yep. I reckon. I seriously don't think the gun the kid in black with the red eyelashes held me up with, was loaded. Then again, he was in stealth mode, operating on pure adrenalin. Gunshots would have blown his cover. He disappeared in 5 seconds, like Jackie Chan. He got the ten bucks out of my wallet, but not my mother's silverware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

The last time I saw a scientific survey by a criminologist they (team) learned that in less than 2% of civilian self defense situations with a gun a shot was fired. Meaning that in over 98% of the cases the presents of the gun was enough to stop the crime. That less than 2% number includes shoot and kill, shoot and wound as well as shoot and miss.

gazing from the shadows
    Meanwhile, the 6th person in a week has been shot at a gun show.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Its no real shock, people use guns responsibly every day to defend themselves in thier home. Its when some nut job takes one and goes kills 20 plus innocent people cause he is mad att he world that we have to find a way to curtail.

Thats why i said, you can defend yourself equally well with a 7 shot 45, or a 5 shot pump action, or even a ar 15 with a ten round clip. Its allows you ample home defence and allows us on the outside world a chance to survive if you go all crazy like. My chances are much better if you only have ten rounds to shoot before reloading then if you are settign there with a 20,30,50, or 100 round mag.

I get the guns, i shoot an m-16 for the air force, its great fun, i get that. All im saying is trying to limit the damage a bad guy can do while still allowing you ample firepower to defend your home.
    As I said, the shocker is the media covered it.

I only posted it here because the anti gun crew here says no AR15 is used in home defense. Now I get the 'it's not the best choice' bit.

Maybe it's all he had?

Besides, after a major event like Katrina or the King Riots when the police FAIL to protect the community as a whole, the AR15 is my best choice. (I say protect the community as a whole because the police are not responsible to protect individuals - look up Warren Vs DC)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Its when some nut job takes one and goes kills 20 plus innocent people cause he is mad att he world that we have to find a way to curtail.
    My apologies, I missed this!
    So when someone used illegal cocaine derived drugs (how many times a minute?) you think we should stop legally using cocaine derived drugs for legal purposes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I just heard on the news that the proposed AWB, exempts government officials (congress people etc) law enforcement and retired LEO. Humm. Sounds like some are more equal than others. How Orwellian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    OK, off the specific topic but I want to try to outline the so-called liberal mindset on gun control using free speech.

We all know it is illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater (or other large gathering of people- for example a congressional town hall meeting). Clearly this has the potential to kill or injure large numbers of people.

So applying the so-called liberal mindset, don't punish the offending person. No one is allowed to speak at a gathering of a large number of people, say more than 7, not one word! In particular no one may speak at a meeting with a government official like a congressman. BUT government officials will be exempt from this so they can conduct their business.

Would you like me follow the so-called liberal mindset on the 2th Amendment to interpret the 4th Amendment? We all know bad guys hide behind the 4th Amendment and that leads to the harm and death of untold numbers of people. Shall I? It would be fun.

Master debator.

Not too smart. If you're going to point a gun at someone, you'd best be ready to shoot. The thing better be loaded, otherwise that empty gun might end up on the floor next too your dead body.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep. I reckon. I seriously don't think the gun the kid in black with the red eyelashes held me up with, was loaded. Then again, he was in stealth mode, operating on pure adrenalin. Gunshots would have blown his cover. He disappeared in 5 seconds, like Jackie Chan. He got the ten bucks out of my wallet, but not my mother's silverware.
    You got robbed by a drag queen?

Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Not too smart. If you're going to point a gun at someone, you'd best be ready to shoot. The thing better be loaded, otherwise that empty gun might end up on the floor next too your dead body.
    I think a few years back, some thugs tried to rob a Walgreen's with an unloaded shotgun. They didn't seem to inform anyone that the shotgun wasn't loaded and a local man who had a conceal and carry shot them.

Then again, another local man had a shotgun and a baby. Cops shot him. That one was probably suicide by cop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just heard on the news that the proposed AWB, exempts government officials (congress people etc) law enforcement and retired LEO. Humm. Sounds like some are more equal than others. How Orwellian.
    Just be nice to retired LEOs, congressmen, and govt. officials.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    You got robbed by a drag queen?

I think a few years back, some thugs tried to rob a Walgreen's with an unloaded shotgun. They didn't seem to inform anyone that the shotgun wasn't loaded and a local man who had a conceal and carry shot them.

Then again, another local man had a shotgun and a baby. Cops shot him. That one was probably suicide by cop.
    Sweet.

The ninja wannade who forced his way into my back door and held me up with a funky .22 pistol was dressed in black and wearing a black ski mask. All I could see were his eyes, light blue with red eyelashes. i probably could have identified him in a line up on that alone.

Well, sure, point an unloaded gun at someone and expect the worst. If you're on the wrong side of the law, that is.

Gun nuts obsessed with "protecting" themselves always assume the perp is armed and dangerous and would kill without a second thought. That's very seldom true. Simply pulling out a gun without firing it is, as the stats above show, effective 95% of the time. Petty thieves just don't want to mess with someone who pulls a gun and they don't wait around to see if its loaded.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 01-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

On the contrary:

Considering how many mancards have been issued in recent weeks, we should expect a great deal many more stories of some type involving them in the future.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Gun nuts obsessed with "protecting" themselves always assume the perp is armed and dangerous and would kill without a second thought. That's very seldom true. Simply pulling out a gun without firing it is, as the stats above show, effective 95% of the time. Petty thieves just don't want to mess with someone who pulls a gun and they don't wait around to see if its loaded.
    you appear to be pretty cavalier with other people's lives as YOU play the probabilities.

everyone, criminals and citizens alike, should understand that if you are pointing a gun at someone, your intent appears to be deadly force to all outside observers. no one is going to spend much time analyzing the statistics and the probabilities at this point, nor should they. the act of pointing a gun is an unmistakable act of aggression.

this is why brandishing is never a good idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem is that what punishment can you hand out that is fair for taking a life? Or twenty lives? Can I excute a guy twenty times?

Like I said, I enjoy shooting, it's fun and challenging. Explain to me how that is limited by the size of the magizine? An at 15 is still awesome fun with ten rounds as it is with 30. All I'm asking is that you acknowage that a person with a 100 round clip is dissprortionaly more dangerous then a person with ten ten round clips. Having to reload more means someone has a chance to actually disarm or even shoot the bad guy. But are you honestly going to try and return fire with someone laying down 100 rounds at a time?

The Supreme Court has allready upheld the right of the government to with hold certain weapons. Machine guns, rocket launchers, and Sam missles come to mind.
    A mag limit is a fair trade off to keep your at 15's

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem is that what punishment can you hand out that is fair for taking a life? Or twenty lives? Can I excute a guy twenty times?

Like I said, I enjoy shooting, it's fun and challenging. Explain to me how that is limited by the size of the magizine? An at 15 is still awesome fun with ten rounds as it is with 30. All I'm asking is that you acknowage that a person with a 100 round clip is dissprortionaly more dangerous then a person with ten ten round clips. Having to reload more means someone has a chance to actually disarm or even shoot the bad guy. But are you honestly going to try and return fire with someone laying down 100 rounds at a time?

The Supreme Court has allready upheld the right of the government to with hold certain weapons. Machine guns, rocket launchers, and Sam missles come to mind.
    A mag limit is a fair trade off to keep your at 15's
    It's a one sided trade. What kind of deal would you be willing to make for your 1st am. rights? Burn a flag, go to jail be ok if they promise not to take any more? How about your right to vote? You can vote in the local all elections but State and National only every other cycle? That should be enough voting to satisfy the most avid political groupie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have to agree with you, in principle. However, 96% of the time it's not necessary to prove that the gun is loaded. The troublemaker will flee without you having to fire off a round, as the stats show.

I must confess I didn't think the ninja teeny bopper pointing his gun in my face asking for all my money was actually prepared to shoot me. That's why I lead him out the back door, instead of the kitchen, and yanked his arm, throwing him into the garage door, whence he turned around and STRUCK ME WITH THE BUTT OF THE PISTOL instead of firing off a shot, then ran off. Call it "cavalier" if you want, I was right.

Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast