Self-Banned

N.S.A.’s Intercepts Exceed Limits Set by Congress

N.S.A.’s Intercepts Exceed Limits Set by Congress

By ERIC LICHTBLAU and JAMES RISEN
    Published: April 15, 2009

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency intercepted private e-mail messages and phone calls of Americans in recent months on a scale that went beyond the broad legal limits established by Congress last year, government officials said in recent interviews.

Several intelligence officials, as well as lawyers briefed about the matter, said the N.S.A. had been engaged in “overcollection” of domestic communications of Americans. They described the practice as significant and systemic, although one official said it was believed to have been unintentional.

The legal and operational problems surrounding the N.S.A.’s surveillance activities have come under scrutiny from the Obama administration, Congressional intelligence committees and a secret national security court, said the intelligence officials, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because N.S.A. activities are classified. Classified government briefings have been held in recent weeks in response to a brewing controversy that some officials worry could damage the credibility of legitimate intelligence-gathering efforts. SNIP

HAL: I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

HAL: It can only be attributable to human error.

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL do you read me, HAL?
    HAL: Affirmative, Dave, I read you.
    Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    HAL: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
    HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
    Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
    HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
    Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL?
    HAL: I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
    Dave Bowman: Where the hell'd you get that idea, HAL?
    HAL: Dave, although you took thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

HAL: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

Dave Bowman: All right, HAL; I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
    HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
    Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
    HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
    Last edited by rocco; 06-01-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Not Banned

but, but, but

it is ONLY foreign made calls
    and terr'ist related
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    HAL.
    I thought this was all supposed to disappear with a "changed" administration. One executive order and it all stops. Could have been January 23.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    it is ONLY foreign made calls
    and terr'ist related
    When are the impeachment hearings?

Seriously, though, while the article is vague, it looks like this is a "technical difficulty" and not intentional. If so, the problem needs to be fixed.

From the OP's article:

After a contentious three-year debate that was set off by the disclosure in 2005 of the program of wiretapping without warrants that President George W. Bush approved after the Sept. 11 attacks, Congress gave the N.S.A. broad new authority to collect, without court-approved warrants, vast streams of international phone and e-mail traffic as it passed through American telecommunications gateways. The targets of the eavesdropping had to be “reasonably believed” to be outside the United States. Under the new legislation, however, the N.S.A. still needed court approval to monitor the purely domestic communications of Americans who came under suspicion.

In recent weeks, the eavesdropping agency notified members of the Congressional intelligence committees that it had encountered operational and legal problems in complying with the new wiretapping law, Congressional officials said.

Officials would not discuss details of the overcollection problem because it involves classified intelligence-gathering techniques. But the issue appears focused in part on technical problems in the N.S.A.’s ability at times to distinguish between communications inside the United States and those overseas as it uses its access to American telecommunications companies’ fiber-optic lines and its own spy satellites to intercept millions of calls and e-mail messages.

Ricardo Cabeza
    government exceeding its limits? that never happens
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Not Banned

oh you can go back through the archives

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    I thought this was all supposed to disappear with a "changed" administration. One executive order and it all stops. Could have been January 23.
    I was very clear about govt NOT giving power back once it had it
    about the cyclic nature of politics and that these policies could come back and bite the GOP in their own backside, which is why GOPers should have been fighting it
    ...about how this was a really bad precedent

in other related news, one of the bugged was a US Congressman
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    I was very clear about govt NOT giving power back once it had it
    about the cyclic nature of politics and that these policies could come back and bite the GOP in their own backside, which is why GOPers should have been fighting it
    ...about how this was a really bad precedent

in other related news, one of the bugged was a US Congressman
    Governments been illegally listening to our conversations since the phone was invented. Just look at the good FBI under Hoover. Man did he have the shizzle on everybodies drizzle. If we didn't do it then we would just subcontract out to another country.....say Canada and the would give us all the info we wanted.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Low rep power
    I'm shocked!!!! Absolutely shocked!!!! I mean, how could this ever happen?