Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 133
  1. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post
    .
    .

    yeah, I saw this too.

    NBC screwed up, acknowledged the error and said they would get to the bottom of it.

    I guess I don't see the issue. this is how it is supposed to work.
    It takes 10 minutes to get to the bottom of it. NBC should have resolved this 10 minutes after the first instance. That's the issue.

  2. #27
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    175
    Well isn't that easy to type in a google search, must have hurt your brain coming up with that one. I'm sure all of those sites are 100% accurate too. Let's see if there are just as many results for....

    NBC news distortions: nbc news distortions - Google Search

    MSNBC news distortions: msnbc news distortions - Google Search

    CNN news distortions: cnn news distortion - Google Search

    Perhaps you should come up with just one, just one example where fox did the equivalent to what NBC did in this specific example. Where they (1) edited a tape to make it sound rascist, (2) didn't come clean about it until another news agency busted them, and (3) haven't been able to come up with any excuse as to why or how it happened.

  3. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t View Post
    I could come with a dozen examples and you still wouldn't find any problem with it. Life's too short.
    Humor me. One or two words for each example is all I need.

  4. #29
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    One man's distortion is another man's objectivity. Depends on your point of view and degree to which you believe that the ends justify the means.

  5. #30
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,980
    Quote Originally Posted by AM999 View Post
    One man's distortion is another man's objectivity. Depends on your point of view and degree to which you believe that the ends justify the means.
    I report, you decide.

  6. #31
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    175
    Funny how they can't come up with even one equivalent example.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    55,132
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I report, you decide.
    So far this thread seems to show that approxiomately one in four news distortions can be credited to FOX.

    (Kansas is fighting quicksand)

  8. #33
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Funny how they can't come up with even one equivalent example.
    Former President Carter Rightly Attacks Fox News Distortions; OReilly Defends Fox With Lies - Political Ruminations

    O'Reilly: "Carter can simply not back up what he says." On the September 21 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly aired snippets from an interview in which Carter offered criticism of Fox for having "attempted to twist around what [Obama's[ religious faith is and whether or not he's an American" and their tendency to "inject race" into their coverage of Obama. O'Reilly then criticized Carter for "not telling the truth":

    O'Reilly cropped video to hide Carter's statement that Fox "called Obama a racist" -- a clear reference to Beck. While O'Reilly claims that Carter "can simply not back up what he says" and says that "it is beneath a former president to accuse FNC of injecting race into the political process," O'Reilly crops Carter's quote to cover up the fact that he said that Fox has "actually called Obama a racist on television.

    On the July 28, 2009, edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends, Glenn Beck said that Obama "has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture" and "is, I believe, a racist," a statement he subsequently claimed to stand by, in spite of growing criticism. Beck's comments were condemned by a wide variety of media figures. A year later, Beck "amend[ed]" his statement and said he meant to attack Obama's theology.

    See also: Fox's news programs echo its "opinion" shows: Smears, doctored videos, GOP talking points | Media Matters for America

    or: Sorry, O'Reilly: Fox Has Long Been A Home For Race-Baiting Attacks | Media Matters for America

    or even: Fox News Channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Part of the reason people aren't flocking to educate you about Fox News is that it won't do much good; you can always hide behind "it's not equivalent," or Fox's own favorite "those are pundits, not news (even when the "pundits" appear on "news" shows) defense.

    There was a reason Fox dropped its old "fair and balanced" slogan. But if you want to believe Fox is a paragon of objective journalism, go for it. They report (sort of) and you decide.

  9. #34
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    175
    Well you are right to state that's not news and not an equivalent example. Try again.

    By the way, you spend far too much time on the political portion of this forum judging by all of your posts. You do realize this is mostly about bicycling right? Perhaps you should balance out your posts and actually talk about bikes once in a blue moon. You seem a little obsessed.

  10. #35
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    So far this thread seems to show that approxiomately one in four news distortions can be credited to FOX.

    (Kansas is fighting quicksand)
    Your math appears a bit off, if you read between the links.

    It's late, I'm not that interested in dogging Fox. Heck, I don't watch any TV news (too much time for too little information, IME), but what I have caught of Fox has been unimpressive. To each his own, I guess.

    A lot of people, including me, had KY picked as the champs in their bracket, but tonight (particularly the first half) showed that we weren't so much excellent prognosticators, as the Wildcats were just that much better than everyone else. Truly some incredibly talented players they have.

    You're lucky, I doubt you have to listen to their obnoxious crowing too much down in West Texas, but here, we're overrun by Big Blue Nation, and you just know the majority of those fans have never stepped foot anywhere near campus. They really are the Phillies fans of college basketball.

    Lexington furniture ensembles, beware tonight!

  11. #36
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    Well you are right to state that's not news and not an equivalent example. Try again.

    By the way, you spend far too much time on the political portion of this forum judging by all of your posts. You do realize this is mostly about bicycling right? Perhaps you should balance out your posts and actually talk about bikes once in a blue moon. You seem a little obsessed.

    What are you the RBR forum police? Mind your own posts, moreon.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Live Steam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    The damage can't be undone.
    No it can't and I'm sure the damage you're referring to is the damage they inflicted upon decency. Those that are investigating this, will know the reality, and unlike those that choose only to see their perception of it, will act according to what the law provides. The rest will just react according to their prejudice.

    This was an unfortunate incident of happenstance. Wrong place at the right time for two people.
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

    Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

    - the rydster

    Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

  13. #38
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    What are you the RBR forum police? Mind your own posts, moreon.
    And this is the point were we realize you have an obsession at over 9000 posts averaging 2.5 per day and virtually all of them lefty rants. You need meds. Do you even own a bike?

  14. #39
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,495
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker

    The reason is because it is such an egregious act; it is race baiting at it's worse. This was not a mistake, and once it is released on the air it can not be taken back. There will now be a large contingency that believe that what NBC released was the real tape and the real tape has been edited. Further NBC only admitted fault after it had been realized by FOX. It doesn't take a lot of integrity to admit distorting the news when you've been caught red handed. And while distorting the news is quite common on both sides, rarely does it border on falsifying evidence and inciting a race riot..NBC's "my bad" hardly address the damage that they may already be done.


    I don't think I've ever seen this many assumptions in one post.

    (and the "both sides do it" false equivalence is always good for laughs)

  15. #40
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,495
    .
    .
    .

    has O'Reilly done any interviews with "gangsta rappers" lately?

    I always thought that was odd considering the median age of his audience is 71.

    I wonder what that's all about...

  16. #41
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,495
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill

    Can you provide an example of race-baiting on Fox? From what I've seen, Fox has a diverse group of journalists and broadcasters, I don't think they'd stick around if they felt like they were part of any kind of race-baiting.


    there has been plenty of race-baiting from FOX.

    none of it would convince a regular viewer though.

    if someone believes the president has a "deep-seated hatred for white people, or the white culture" then posting a screenshot isn't likely to register. it's a fact, according to them.

    more than anything though, it's the whole media paradigm that FOX viewers have bought into. regular FOX viewers understand that the network reports the "news"--and the facts in that "news"-- differently. they understand that. now, if someone thinks that 99% of the media outlets are wrong, lying, "want to destroy America", etc, there's literally no way to convince them otherwise. you'll never convince a regular FOX viewer that the network is right-wing counter programming to actual news.

    people like David Frum, David Brooks, Bruce Bartlett and others understand that FOX isn't news. Tucker Carlson used to understand it (but he's been fired by the other two networks since then).

  17. #42
    Hide Age and DOB
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Former President Carter Rightly Attacks Fox News Distortions; OReilly Defends Fox With Lies - Political Ruminations

    O'Reilly: "Carter can simply not back up what he says." On the September 21 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly aired snippets from an interview in which Carter offered criticism of Fox for having "attempted to twist around what [Obama's[ religious faith is and whether or not he's an American" and their tendency to "inject race" into their coverage of Obama. O'Reilly then criticized Carter for "not telling the truth":

    O'Reilly cropped video to hide Carter's statement that Fox "called Obama a racist" -- a clear reference to Beck. While O'Reilly claims that Carter "can simply not back up what he says" and says that "it is beneath a former president to accuse FNC of injecting race into the political process," O'Reilly crops Carter's quote to cover up the fact that he said that Fox has "actually called Obama a racist on television.

    On the July 28, 2009, edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends, Glenn Beck said that Obama "has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture" and "is, I believe, a racist," a statement he subsequently claimed to stand by, in spite of growing criticism. Beck's comments were condemned by a wide variety of media figures. A year later, Beck "amend[ed]" his statement and said he meant to attack Obama's theology.

    See also: Fox's news programs echo its "opinion" shows: Smears, doctored videos, GOP talking points | Media Matters for America

    or: Sorry, O'Reilly: Fox Has Long Been A Home For Race-Baiting Attacks | Media Matters for America

    or even: Fox News Channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Part of the reason people aren't flocking to educate you about Fox News is that it won't do much good; you can always hide behind "it's not equivalent," or Fox's own favorite "those are pundits, not news (even when the "pundits" appear on "news" shows) defense.

    There was a reason Fox dropped its old "fair and balanced" slogan. But if you want to believe Fox is a paragon of objective journalism, go for it. They report (sort of) and you decide.
    There is one glaring difference, even when opinion makes it's way into a FOX news report, it is not presented as news. Your incident is a good example. No one believed that Beck was presenting news when he said Obama was a racists, nor was Carter presenting news when he said Fox News was racists, nor was Oreilly presenting news when he said Carter was wrong. It was understood that Oreilly was editing Carters statements from the get go (he didn't play the entire interview) and the fact that Oreilly left out a possibly damaging comment is still not news. NBC while claiming to be an objective reporter of the news, actually tampered with evidence for the specific purpose of presented it as evidence showing a subject in a shooting was racist. As far as I can remember this incident has no parallel.
    E fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli straniero.

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    14,739

    Talking Yeah, I own a bike, son.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    And this is the point were we realize you have an obsession at over 9000 posts averaging 2.5 per day and virtually all of them lefty rants. You need meds. Do you even own a bike?
    Please allow me to add fodder to the argument.

    Zimmerman called 911 way too many times! Several residents of the neighborhood exclaimed they weren't hearing of "a rash of breakins" in the neighborhood, and were puzzled as to why Zimmerman was so zealous in preventing something that was not happening. This is another item that points to the obvious: Zimmerman was acting on dislike of "coons," to use his word, or racial prejudice. So NBC may have simplified or misquoted the words, but they still got it right.

    Look, PO is a great forum for focusing on current events. There are quite a few intelligent posters here, including XXL, the man you're dissing, and of course the teeny-bopper pretenders trying to show how cool they are!

    Damn the site was down all day for me. Gawd I missed the fun around here!

  19. #44
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Can you provide an example of race-baiting on Fox? From what I've seen, Fox has a diverse group of journalists and broadcasters, I don't think they'd stick around if they felt like they were part of any kind of race-baiting.
    Media Matters has all the dirt on Fox. That's what they do. If a minority is criticized that's an example of racism. This is the business of the racialist industry which is alive a well. I agree with you on Fox. They appear to the right but that's relative to the majority of the so called "main stream media." Some of the opinion shows are very much to the right - Hannity and Beck when he was there.

    Check out the book "Left Turn." Predictably condemned by many on this forum who of course haven't and won't read it because of the publisher but interesting and well docuented IMO as well as Dr. Byron B. Bright, the respected lefty political science prof at UCLA. It's not so much distortion in what is covered but indeed what IS covered that the bias manifests itself in. "Gray Lady Down" and "Journalistic Fraud" are specific to the NY Times but unfortunately were brought to market by unapproved publishers.

  20. #45
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,218
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Former President Carter Rightly Attacks Fox News Distortions; OReilly Defends Fox With Lies - Political Ruminations

    O'Reilly: "Carter can simply not back up what he says." On the September 21 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly aired snippets from an interview in which Carter offered criticism of Fox for having "attempted to twist around what [Obama's[ religious faith is and whether or not he's an American" and their tendency to "inject race" into their coverage of Obama. O'Reilly then criticized Carter for "not telling the truth":

    O'Reilly cropped video to hide Carter's statement that Fox "called Obama a racist" -- a clear reference to Beck. While O'Reilly claims that Carter "can simply not back up what he says" and says that "it is beneath a former president to accuse FNC of injecting race into the political process," O'Reilly crops Carter's quote to cover up the fact that he said that Fox has "actually called Obama a racist on television.

    On the July 28, 2009, edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends, Glenn Beck said that Obama "has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture" and "is, I believe, a racist," a statement he subsequently claimed to stand by, in spite of growing criticism. Beck's comments were condemned by a wide variety of media figures. A year later, Beck "amend[ed]" his statement and said he meant to attack Obama's theology.

    See also: Fox's news programs echo its "opinion" shows: Smears, doctored videos, GOP talking points | Media Matters for America

    or: Sorry, O'Reilly: Fox Has Long Been A Home For Race-Baiting Attacks | Media Matters for America

    or even: Fox News Channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Part of the reason people aren't flocking to educate you about Fox News is that it won't do much good; you can always hide behind "it's not equivalent," or Fox's own favorite "those are pundits, not news (even when the "pundits" appear on "news" shows) defense.

    There was a reason Fox dropped its old "fair and balanced" slogan. But if you want to believe Fox is a paragon of objective journalism, go for it. They report (sort of) and you decide.
    Beck & O'Reilly are opinion guys. Beck admitted that his opinion of Pres. Obama was wrong and changed labelled him a liberation theologist. These are opinions and not deliberate distortions of the news which is what the Today show did by cutting out the 911 operator's question to Zimmerman which he answered - "I think he is black."

    So Fox dropped the "fair and balanced" slogan because they realized that they are not "fair and balanced" ??

  21. #46
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,495
    .
    .
    .

    this sh:t is embarrassing to even discuss.

    glad to hear that Glenn Beck--a fundamentalist Mormon obsessed with eschatology and Bircher-era conspiracy theories--doesn't think The President of The United States is a racist anymore--just a "liberation theologist."

    good we got that cleared up!

  22. #47
    ___________
    Reputation: bricoleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,495
    .
    .
    .

    text + pic = FAIL
    .
    .
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  23. #48
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    And this is the point were we realize you have an obsession at over 9000 posts averaging 2.5 per day and virtually all of them lefty rants. You need meds. Do you even own a bike?
    And it is at this point where we realize you haven't read the posting guidelines, noob:

    Guidelines for posting in P.O.

    "Rule 1) Don't attack people that post here. Calling names is right out. So is overtly challenging their sincerity, honesty, or intelligence.

    In addition, NEVER take someone's comment in PO about some public figure or public event as the basis for inferring something unpleasant about their personal life or secret desires. Just don't go there."

    Now go read the rest of the rules so you can stop being such an asshat.

  24. #49
    RIP Funny Penguin
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    15,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus90 View Post
    And this is the point were we realize you have an obsession at over 9000 posts averaging 2.5 per day and virtually all of them lefty rants. You need meds. Do you even own a bike?

    Hmmm...what kind of meds does he need? Can you be more specific? Because half of a personal attack isn't nearly as satisfying than just going out there like a true internet big shot and going the entire way.

    As I am sure many will attest if you look into our histories you will find that many of us have been on this site for going on a decade. We have no need to discuss whether or not 21 mph in a stiff head wind up hill for a total newb is an adequate speed or not any longer. So just recognize, if you are going to spend anytime down here...that bringing up whether someone rides...is an immediate fail, in PO argumentative circles.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  25. #50
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,980
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    There is one glaring difference, even when opinion makes it's way into a FOX news report, it is not presented as news. Your incident is a good example. No one believed that Beck was presenting news when he said Obama was a racists, nor was Carter presenting news when he said Fox News was racists, nor was Oreilly presenting news when he said Carter was wrong. It was understood that Oreilly was editing Carters statements from the get go (he didn't play the entire interview) and the fact that Oreilly left out a possibly damaging comment is still not news. NBC while claiming to be an objective reporter of the news, actually tampered with evidence for the specific purpose of presented it as evidence showing a subject in a shooting was racist. As far as I can remember this incident has no parallel.
    ORLY?

    Roger Ailes Admits To 'Course Correction' At Fox News Channel - Deadline.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook