Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,228

    NUMBERS: Fact-checking the Obama administration

    FactCheck.org : Obama?s Numbers (Quarterly Update)

    Summary

    Reviewing some key statistical measures of Barack Obama’s presidency so far, we find:



    • The economy has added more jobs since Obama took office than it did in his predecessor’s entire eight years in office.
    • Despite the improved economy, the number of people receiving food-stamp assistance has continued to grow, and now more people have been added to the food-stamp rolls under Obama than under any single previous president.
    • Federal spending under Obama has grown faster than inflation, but far more slowly than it did under President Bush.
    • Federal debt held by the public has grown by 90 percent since Obama took office.
    • Obama has ordered seven times more drone strikes than Bush in the covert conflicts in Pakistan and Yemen, according to independent estimates.
    • Domestic oil production has soared; oil imports have dropped by one-third; new cars are getting 17 percent better mileage; and wind and solar power have increased 157 percent.



    More, including sources cited, at the link. Enjoy.

  2. #2
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,228

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,554
    With the exception of drone strikes, BO has nothing to do with any of these matters.

    It is good to see liberals whining about the republicans force feeding fiscal responsible to the Dems while dems pretend they deserve credit for the result.

    I guess that party leaders can get away with this when their constituents are dumber than a bag of door knobs.

    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    FactCheck.org : Obama?s Numbers (Quarterly Update)

    Summary

    Reviewing some key statistical measures of Barack Obama’s presidency so far, we find:



    • The economy has added more jobs since Obama took office than it did in his predecessor’s entire eight years in office.
    • Despite the improved economy, the number of people receiving food-stamp assistance has continued to grow, and now more people have been added to the food-stamp rolls under Obama than under any single previous president.
    • Federal spending under Obama has grown faster than inflation, but far more slowly than it did under President Bush.
    • Federal debt held by the public has grown by 90 percent since Obama took office.
    • Obama has ordered seven times more drone strikes than Bush in the covert conflicts in Pakistan and Yemen, according to independent estimates.
    • Domestic oil production has soared; oil imports have dropped by one-third; new cars are getting 17 percent better mileage; and wind and solar power have increased 157 percent.



    More, including sources cited, at the link. Enjoy.

  4. #4
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    41,119
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    wow, no sense of irony in this one

    yeah, feeding the poor was of little concern to Jesus
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: pulser955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    [*]Domestic oil production has soared; oil imports have dropped by one-third; new cars are getting 17 percent better mileage; and wind and solar power have increased 157 percent.[/LIST]
    That's only because every one had to get there turbines up by the end of Dec. 2012 to get the tax credit that ended. It's been extended a year but that's useless for the industry. I keep reading this all over the place. Things like Wind energy was is the fastest growing segment of our energy production. Or all the new energy installations last year were wind. But no one will report that the industry had fallen off a cliff this year with out a long term tax credit for energy producers. My former company Vestas is expecting new orders in the US to drop by 85 to 90% this year. The industry has also had to layoff large parts of its work force.

  6. #6
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,228
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    With the exception of drone strikes, BO has nothing to do with any of these matters.

    It is good to see liberals whining about the republicans force feeding fiscal responsible to the Dems while dems pretend they deserve credit for the result.

    I guess that party leaders can get away with this when their constituents are dumber than a bag of door knobs.

    Right. That's why you're so easy on him.

  7. #7
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,228
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    wow, no sense of irony in this one

    yeah, feeding the poor was of little concern to Jesus
    Hey, Swifty said Obama had nothing to do with this. Despite him being the Messiah and all, too. He's strictly drone strikes.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Hey, Swifty said Obama had nothing to do with this.
    Do you agree?

    Which of the 17/18 stats addressing in the picture below does Obama get major credit?



    It's interesting that the box shows 5 energy related stats, yet no mention of gas prices increasing 92%.

  9. #9
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    41,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    Do you agree?

    Which of the 17/18 stats addressing in the picture below does Obama get major credit?



    It's interesting that the box shows 5 energy related stats, yet no mention of gas prices increasing 92%.
    I thought Presidents had no control over gas prices

    well that was what was said during the last administration
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I thought Presidents had no control over gas prices

    well that was what was said during the last administration
    Were you saying Presidents have no control over gas prices during the Bush administration? I see you've been here since 2002. Perhaps you could provide some posts defending Bush with regard to rising gas prices.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bill2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,234
    The Republican Majority in the House and the Cloiture-wielding Republican Minority in the Senate deserve all the credit. You will see this in 2014, when voters elect even larger Republican Majorities in both chambers.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    Were you saying Presidents have no control over gas prices during the Bush administration? I see you've been here since 2002. Perhaps you could provide some posts defending Bush with regard to rising gas prices.
    the only thing I remember is some crying that Bush's invasion of Iraq would drive global gas prices sky high, which I don't believe actually happened.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    With the exception of drone strikes, BO has nothing to do with any of these matters.

    It is good to see liberals whining about the republicans force feeding fiscal responsible to the Dems while dems pretend they deserve credit for the result.

    I guess that party leaders can get away with this when their constituents are dumber than a bag of door knobs.
    Hey, to a superannuated sack of potato chips pablum spewer sucking on the tit of Social Security, progress hurts when the opposition party is holding the reigns, eh? Solar energy, reducing oil imports, stimulus spending, drawing down two costly wars, winning positive world opinion, is all to Obama's credit, despite grumbling from the Party of No. Furthermore, Obama has leveled off deficit spending.

    If a responsible Democrat takes over in 2016, the deficit will continue dropping. So far Republican presidents have been terrible doing that. The last one gave the fat cats tax cuts and like a drunken sailor blew the surplus starting two horrible wars one of which continues to drain the country, famously saying "deficts don't matter!" Pathetic.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    All in all, I'd give Obama a solid B for his performance, so far.

  15. #15
    Pencil of death
    Reputation: Bluenote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,010
    The tough part about all this - how much of it is Obama. How much of it is Congress. How much of it is capitalism / crony capitalism.

    And what, if any of it, would have been better under John "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" McCain and Mitt "47%" Romney?

    Unfortunately, sometimes elections are a choice between a guy who will do OK and a guy who is extreme, incompetent, corrupt, etc...

    Not saying McCain or Romney are any if those things. But what I am saying is in 2008 and 2012 I asked myself a hard question - it's all about the economy, stupid - so who will do better? Or who will do least harm?

    I don't think Obama has done a particularly good job with the economy. But he hasn't done a bad job, he's been very timid and safe.

    The financial crisis was very, very bad. He was level headed about it and put policies in place that avoided a full scale melt down.

    Winding down two wars is saving us some serious cash.

    I would like Republicans to quit being 'the party of no.' I would like a bipartisan jobs bill. I would like stronger regulation of banks, particularly the kind of investment vehicles that led to the economic meltdown. I would like better laws on age discrimination.

    I would like long term resolution on a Federal Budget and entitlement spending. Businesses would like to know where they stand. Will the Government take itself to the brink, again and shut down? Or lower its bond rating? Will social security actually be there when I retire?

    It ain't gonna happen. But you know what will happen? All this SSDD partisan garbage.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

    "I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

    "1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

    "Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    And what, if any of it, would have been better under John "the fundamentals of the economy are strong" McCain and Mitt "47%" Romney?

    Unfortunately, sometimes elections are a choice between a guy who will do OK and a guy who is extreme, incompetent, corrupt, etc...

    Not saying McCain or Romney are any if those things.
    But you said it anyway.

    The rest of your post was excellent. It's too bad so much of what is posted here includes unnecessary insults... even veiled ones.

  17. #17
    Pencil of death
    Reputation: Bluenote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    But you said it anyway.

    The rest of your post was excellent. It's too bad so much of what is posted here includes unnecessary insults... even veiled ones.
    My statement was very, very, clear. I very, very clearly said - Romney and McCain were not those things.

    If you choose to take my words out of context and get Outraged! tm about them, that's your business.

    I'm not getting into some stupid, time wasting, asinine, name calling personal pissing match.

    My post stands for itself. I trust the readers to look at this mini string and make up their own minds.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

    "I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

    "1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

    "Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

  18. #18
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    41,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    Were you saying Presidents have no control over gas prices during the Bush administration? I see you've been here since 2002. Perhaps you could provide some posts defending Bush with regard to rising gas prices.
    there were plenty of actual things Bush did to be upset about. One didn't need to look for things he wasn't connected to. Though having 2 Oilmen in the WH did nothing for alternative energy development. But hey wars for dollar hegemony are, I guess a decent alternative
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,554
    If pigs could fly perhaps they too could bring down the deficit.

    On one side of their orifice, libs want to promote / force the notion that the path to prosperity is to increase government spending with more porkulus. On the other, they want to pretend that they are fiscal conservatives.

    The only reason the deficit is coming down is because the republican House is stuffing fiscal responsibility down the whining throats of the democrats and the president.

    I hope that someday droolers will learn that the presidency is not the legislative branch of the government. It seems, however, that it may be too complicated of a concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post

    If a responsible Democrat takes over in 2016, the deficit will continue dropping.
    So far Republican presidents have been terrible doing that. The last one gave the fat cats tax cuts and like a drunken sailor blew the surplus starting two horrible wars one of which continues to drain the country, famously saying "deficts don't matter!" Pathetic.
    Last edited by SwiftSolo; 05-27-2013 at 09:22 AM.

  20. #20
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    16,228
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    If pigs could fly perhaps they too could bring down the deficit.

    On one side of their orifice, libs want to promote / force the notion that the path to prosperity is to increase government spending with more porkulus. On the other, they want to pretend that they are fiscal conservatives.

    The only reason the deficit is coming down is because the republican House is stuffing fiscal responsibility down the whining throats of the democrats and the president.

    I hope that someday droolers will learn that the presidency is not the legislative branch of the government. It seems, however, that it may be too complicated of a concept.
    Your president and party just had eight years not so long ago, with six of it in full control, plus a budget surplus passed off to 'em by Clinton.

    What'd they do with that?

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Your president and party just had eight years not so long ago, with six of it in full control,

    What'd they do with that?
    Eight years, with six of it in full control?

    Interesting interpretation.

  22. #22
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,070
    I wonder what Freud would have to say about these comparisons of political views to (oral) bodily functions: orifice, throat, drool.

    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    If pigs could fly perhaps they too could bring down the deficit.

    On one side of their orifice, libs want to promote / force the notion that the path to prosperity is to increase government spending with more porkulus. On the other, they want to pretend that they are fiscal conservatives.

    The only reason the deficit is coming down is because the republican House is stuffing fiscal responsibility down the whining throats of the democrats and the president.

    I hope that someday droolers will learn that the presidency is not the legislative branch of the government. It seems, however, that it may be too complicated of a concept.

  23. #23
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    41,119
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    If pigs could fly perhaps they too could bring down the deficit.

    On one side of their orifice, libs want to promote / force the notion that the path to prosperity is to increase government spending with more porkulus. On the other, they want to pretend that they are fiscal conservatives.

    The only reason the deficit is coming down is because the republican House is stuffing fiscal responsibility down the whining throats of the democrats and the president.

    I hope that someday droolers will learn that the presidency is not the legislative branch of the government. It seems, however, that it may be too complicated of a concept.
    yeah because that GOP Congress and Senate and President from 2001 - 2008 did a really good job keeping spending down.....
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    yeah because that GOP Congress and Senate and President from 2001 - 2008 did a really good job keeping spending down.....
    You might want to re-check your facts. The Dems controlled the Senate for most of 2001 and all of 2002. The Dems gained control of The House in January of 2007.

  25. #25
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    41,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    You might want to re-check your facts. The Dems controlled the Senate for most of 2001 and all of 2002. The Dems gained control of The House in January of 2007.
    the 2008 was a typo. It should have been 2006. Okay the 107th was a split (50 -50 isn't a majority of either party, except the vote in a tie - Cheney) in the senate the 108th was all GOP. And yes they still did an awesome job reigning in spending
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fact-checking the VP debate...
    By xxl in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 06:55 AM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 12:05 PM
  4. Fact Checking Rick Perry Pnozi Scheme Allegation
    By troutmd in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 05:58 PM
  5. Fact Checking the 'Pubs
    By Cyclo-phile in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook