Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

OBAMA: the best speech of his Presidency

If you haven't watched it, follow BO's speech to the Israels on the news today. Clearly the best speech of his time in office.

He seems genuinely interested in ending their altercations with the Palestinians and repairing his image. His focus was on lifting the status of the oppressed.

It left me wondering why he expends so much energy attempting to instigate class warfare in this country. His efforts here seem focused on reducing the wealth of the successful instead of opportunity for those young people who have the drive and determination to strive to become successful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    It left me wondering why he expends so much energy attempting to instigate class warfare in this country. His efforts here seem focused on reducing the wealth of the successful instead of opportunity for those young people who have the drive and determination to strive to become successful.
    The issue couldn't possibly be perception of the listener

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    No, I think he's spot on.

banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    You mean he doesn't try to make scapegoats of the wealthy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    No need --- Romney/Ryan have done an exception public service in that cause already.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

John Kenneth Galbraith

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    No need --- Romney/Ryan have done an exception public service in that cause already.
    How so?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I think Obama sees the USA as bad place filed with bad people who's actions have been in the past been to stomp on all the "little people" He feels that he must punish those that have succeeded because they only way they achieved was by standing on the back so of people to keep them down.

Lifting the status of the oppressed is fine if they are in fact oppressed and you don't attempt to pushing those not doing the oppression. I will say that I have not heard the speech so I can't comment on it directly.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I think he has a tendency toward this rhetorically, yes. But I don't think that amounts to exenpding 'so much energy attempting to instigate class warfare in this country', nor that it follows he is focused on reducing wealth/not focused on opprotunity for young people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Clearly the best speech of his time in office.
    I was pleased that young Israelis heard a rational leader speak sincerely of the issue confronting them.

He speaks that way here.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires and Clive Bundy scam us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I like his point from years ago that the Repubs tried to use against him in the elections, "that the US should not be a mirror" of Israel, they can have different opinions and we do not back them blindly on all things right or wrong. Think if you lived in the mid-east( not Israel) and every time Israel did or said something, the US backed them each time.....makes us look bad too.
    Gary Fisher Cronus(CF)
    Jamis Expert MTB

S&W & Ruger LCR in .38 Special
    CZ 75BD & 2075 RAMI in 9mm
    Ruger 10/22 rifle
    Democrat!

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    If you haven't watched it, follow BO's speech to the Israels on the news today. Clearly the best speech of his time in office.

He seems genuinely interested in ending their altercations with the Palestinians and repairing his image. His focus was on lifting the status of the oppressed.

So you don't mind it when he stands up for the downtrodden in other countries, so long as he doesn't do it here?

"I think JoePAz sees..."

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz

I think Obama sees the USA as bad place filed with bad people who's actions have been in the past been to stomp on all the "little people" He feels that he must punish those that have succeeded because they only way they achieved was by standing on the back so of people to keep them down.

why is so much right-wing political discussion about what goes on in peoples' minds?

that's the worst kind of "analysis."

RoadBikeReview Member

when do you think these "achievers" are going to stop telling us all about how much they've achieved and how successful they are...and start explaining why they're not creating jobs and opportunity?
    Not banned yet.

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    No, he doesn't. Many voted for Obama. Guess they didn't feel scapegoated.

On the other hand, lots of the unemployed and poorly educated in the South voted overwhelmingly republican.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    He framed well the obligation of friends to speak honestly. He left the friendship in no doubt. The audience seemed to appreciate and even enjoy his speech. I imagine he was a breath of fresh air in that caustic environment. We can hope he inspired at least a few young Israelis on both sides to work for peace.

Iraq's Supreme Leader was none too happy with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

why is so much right-wing political discussion about what goes on in peoples' minds?

that's the worst kind of "analysis."
    I knew some of you here would be upset by my interpretation of root cause of his actions. Make no mistake that his actions time and time again prove to me that he wants to punish the rich for their wealth. From the "Spread the wealth around" comments of the 2008 elections, to the "Getting the most fortunate Americans to pay their fair share" to "If you have business, you didn't build that!" comments and support of the occupy movement and desire to raise taxes again on wealthy after getting higher taxes in January. Obama seeks to punish the successful in America. Many of you here really believe a rich CEO is only rich because he is abusing the fruit of the labor in his company. Therefore it would see it fair to "Nail the rich" and their ill gotten gains.

This is really no wild insight, but simply connecting the dots of the man's words and actions combing with thinking of those who support those words an actions.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    So you don't mind it when he stands up for the downtrodden in other countries, so long as he doesn't do it here?
    I would imagine that they feel that the wealthy are the downtrodden here...

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz

I knew some of you here would be upset by my interpretation of root cause of his actions.

not "upset," I just think it's odd. trying to divine someone's intentions isn't easy, and sometimes it's impossible. going further, and trying to read their mind--ie, "I Obama sees"--is even less useful.

but that's all they talk about on FOX "news" and talk-radio, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to see it repeated here.

fwiw, comments like "Bush thought..." or "Bush saw..." are equally useless.

it's unfortunate that right-leaning commentary, in this country, is so dependent on entertainers. as a result, some 20%-30% of the population ends up misinformed, relying on cartoonish narratives and talking points.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post
    Obama
    From the comments section:

"Although I disagree with the politics of sswallonie, the more correct way to say it is, "I could NOT care less." Sswallonie is correct by stating it this way, especially when writing. By leaving out "not", you are actually saying that there is still room for you to care even less. Although both ways are acceptable and convey the same meaning, one way is more correct."

Buzzkills everywhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was shocked at his speech! At no time did he blame George Bush for the problems in the middle east.

So what gives... who's the new speech writer? We all realize of course that BO hasn't written even one of any public speech given. Even his little seemingly off the cuff humorous remarks.... are read from the prompter.

Even the supposed interactions with the audience are staged.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    There was no teleprompter.

Obama writes his own and passes them around for comments.

Quote Originally Posted by dave cutter

derp

banned
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    when do you think these "achievers" are going to stop telling us all about how much they've achieved and how successful they are...and start explaining why they're not creating jobs and opportunity?
    Not creating jobs? I think the total number of private jobs has increased four million in the last three years.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    No, I think he's spot on.
    Tens shocked.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast