Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

The October Surprise

Can there be any better illustration for Americans concerning the Romney/Ryan/GOP view of our nation then Sandy?
    Photobucket

Romney/Ryan/GOP want you to rebuild it..

Obama/Biden want to rebuild it with you.

I think we all can agree on one thing --- the 2012 election is a clear choice.
    Last edited by troutmd; 10-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    If you don't get an answer to your question it doesn't necessary mean you made one or that you deserve one.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    the 2012 election is a clear choice.
    Yep!

Kinda crass of Obama to politicize a natural disaster.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    wait ... troutmd is Obama?!?!?!

dude, nice fork, but you need to take off those reflectors. And maybe get a fit done.

I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Since when do you give ashit about flood victims?

If a natural disaster strikes your area...

Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
    Yep!

I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    Since when do you give ashit about flood victims?

If a natural disaster strikes your area...

If you don't get an answer to your question it doesn't necessary mean you made one or that you deserve one.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010

Vote for either a liar or a liar???
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    But it's okay when their side does it though. It's all about intent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... or one how says "Do it yourself" or the other saying "We are in this together."

Its refreshing that both sides seem to be trying to keep politics out of Sandy. But given the prior statements during this campaign, its really not necessary to determine their respective "I" v. "We" core values.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    ... or one how says "Do it yourself" or the other saying "We are in this together."

Its refreshing that both sides seem to be trying to keep politics out of Sandy. But given the prior statements during this campaign, its really not necessary to determine their respective "I" v. "We" core values.

So it's symbolism over substance now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    So it's symbolism over substance now?
    No --- just holding people accountable for their respective positions craved out during the long campaign.

Like I said --- this election provides a clear choice between two different visions and values for America.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To be fair, Romney is shown as saying he believes "sending funds back to the states" is the way to go dealing with disaster relief. Leftist media interprets that as meaning the fed, eliminating FEMA, would abandon financing the states' relief efforts and let them pay for it themselves.

Did he really mean the fed should not put up money for the states to clean up their disasters? Or that the fed should send money to the states to spend where necessary to clean up their disasters, which is what is happening right now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Can there be any better illustration for Americans concerning the Romney/Ryan/GOP view of our nation then Sandy?
    Photobucket

Romney/Ryan/GOP want you to rebuild it..

Obama/Biden want to rebuild it with you.

Please, stop this nonsense! This is a terrible play on a human tragedy. Instead of trolling, why not do something positive and ask folks to make a contribution to the American Red Cross or some other reputable organization which will help those effected.

Both candidates have had the dignity to stop the campaigns due to this tragedy. Perhaps we should do the same.

Anyone not making a positive contribution in light of this tragedy (and using this event to only further political comments) shame on you. Perhaps you have no shame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    To be fair, Romney is shown as saying he believes "sending funds back to the states" is the way to go dealing with disaster relief. Leftist media interprets that as meaning the fed, eliminating FEMA, would abandon financing the states' relief efforts and let them pay for it themselves.

Did he really mean the fed should not put up money for the states to clean up their disasters? Or that the fed should send money to the states to spend where necessary to clean up their disasters, which is what is happening right now?
    Let's leave Romney's FEMA comments on the sideline for a moment and come back to them later in this post.

Several months ago, when President Obama made the "You didn't build that" comment, the Romney campaign said he was completely wrong. The Romney campaign hammered away that it was individuals and entrepreneurs who build business ... not government. The Dems countered with examples of government infrastructure, research funding, and support for education as critical to business development.

In the subsequent news cycle each side craved out their core value --- one giving priority to the individual (the "I" clan), and the other supporting a government and business partnership (the "We" brotherhood).

Now fast forward a few months to Hurricane Sandy and today. Apply these two core values --- one of the position that individuals build things and the other we are in this together.

I hope I have made myself clear as to the purpose of my OP.

Now for the promised comment on Romeny & FEMA.

The way I interpret Romney's FEMA comments made some time ago during the primary season is he articulated standard GOP policy --- big government is bad so small government must be better ... and private industry is much better. And then the old GOP tag line of "send it back to the states to handle." Nothing really new --- just more of the same Republican core value.

While Mitt has distances himself from his VP's budget proposal in a most convenient manner, nevertheless Paul Ryan's budget proposes cutting FEMA by 40%. This budget proposal was adopted by the GOP controlled House - where funding government is controlled. I've always tried to place a greater importance on what people do then say, so Ryan's 40% FEMA cutting budget, and its subsequent adoption by the House speaks volumes to me.

So on the wings of The Black Swan, this 2012 election October surprise turns out to be this clear choice: Small v big government and/or I did it not government v. we are in this together. But not in some abstract way, in dramatic/painful reality before the nation's very eyes

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post

Examples? An example?

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    That's huge....as smoking guns go....

RoadBikeReview Member

Point well taken.

Let's leave Romney's FEMA comments on the sideline for a moment and come back to them later in this post.

Several months ago, when President Obama made the "You didn't build that" comment, the Romney campaign said he was completely wrong. The Romney campaign hammered away that it was individuals and entrepreneurs who build business ... not government. The Dems countered with examples of government infrastructure, research funding, and support for education as critical to business development.

In the subsequent news cycle each side craved out their core value --- one giving priority to the individual (the "I" clan), and the other supporting a government and business partnership (the "We" brotherhood).

Now fast forward a few months to Hurricane Sandy and today. Apply these two core values --- one of the position that individuals build things and the other we are in this together.

I hope I have made myself clear as to the purpose of my OP.

Now for the promised comment on Romeny & FEMA.

The way I interpret Romney's FEMA comments made some time ago during the primary season is he articulated standard GOP policy --- big government is bad so small government must be better ... and private industry is much better. And then the old GOP tag line of "send it back to the states to handle." Nothing really new --- just more of the same Republican core value.

While Mitt has distances himself from his VP's budget proposal in a most convenient manner, nevertheless Paul Ryan's budget proposes cutting FEMA by 40%. This budget proposal was adopted by the GOP controlled House - where funding government is controlled. I've always tried to place a greater importance on what people do then say, so Ryan's 40% FEMA cutting budget, and its subsequent adoption by the House speaks volumes to me.

So on the wings of The Black Swan, this 2012 election October surprise turns out to be this clear choice: Small v big government and/or I did it not government v. we are in this together. But not in some abstract way, in dramatic/painful reality before the nation's very eyes
    Deeds, passing legislation to cut FEMA budget by 40%, speak louder than words. And the words change by the week, so nobody knows what the hell these two, Mitten and Rand, er Ryan, actually mean. Their words are so conflicted, confusing and impossible to follow, but their actions aren't. We can only hope the voters are paying attention..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    George Bush caused Sandy because he hates New Yorkers!

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    and look at this show stopper!

Mr. Obama told his team that their top priority is to make sure all available resources are provided to state and local responders as quickly as possible, and "directed them to identify and resolve any potential bottlenecks or shortfalls should they arise."

Directed his team?!?!?! Why doesn't that elitist do it himself!
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    and look at this show stopper!

Mr. Obama told his team that their top priority is to make sure all available resources are provided to state and local responders as quickly as possible, and "directed them to identify and resolve any potential bottlenecks or shortfalls should they arise."

Directed his team?!?!?! Why doesn't that elitist do it himself!
    I dunno but maybe pointing out the true, core differences facing American's as they get prepared to vote has some people worried..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dunno but maybe pointing out the true, core differences facing American's as they get prepared to vote has some people worried..
    You may notice that FEMA isn't actually running the effort on the ground, that job falls to State and local govt just like it did in La. If this effort goes smoothly it will be due to the fact that those State and local systems are well prepared, have a plan in place and efficiently execute those plans. Obama and company will provide materials and assistance as requested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I can agree with you on that.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

The states need to be charge of cleaning up and responding. Each state knows best what is critical needs are. Federal funding however is important because it allow each of the 50 states to be backed up by each other. In a small state disaster relief can easily overcome state resources both finacially manpower/equipment. Having the feds involved helps spread the burden around. However the actual management of the detailed activies should be at the state and local level.

I don't believe that Obama's actions or Romney's would be very different right now. As President you clearly offer any and all resources needed to allow the state and local goverment to respond. In fact that is about all you can do. The locals are ones running the efforts hour by hour.
    Last edited by JoePAz; 10-31-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Yep.

The current occupant of the WH is worried, big time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Deeds, passing legislation to cut FEMA budget by 40%, speak louder than words. And the words change by the week, so nobody knows what the hell these two, Mitten and Rand, er Ryan, actually mean. Their words are so conflicted, confusing and impossible to follow, but their actions aren't. We can only hope the voters are paying attention..
    Agree --- their actions do provide an indelible insight into the principles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast