RoadBikeReview Member

The Paragon of virtue

John Conyers, a 21 term Congressman from Detroit and the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee, and the guy who has said he would begin impeachment proceedings if the Dems win the House, has a complaint filed against him by his staffers. Seems he forced them to babysit AND to work on political campaigns, namely his wife's.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/...ion=cnn_latest

Seems that corruption is alive and well on both sides of the aisle.
    A church that doesn't provoke any crisis,
    A Gospel that doesn't unsettle,
    A word of God that doesn't get under anyone's skin,
    A word of God that doesn't touch the real sin of society around it,
    What kind of Gospel is that?

Oscar Romero

Bickety bam!
    Jun 2004

Bad stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by moneyman
    John Conyers, a 21 term Congressman from Detroit and the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee, and the guy who has said he would begin impeachment proceedings if the Dems win the House, has a complaint filed against him by his staffers. Seems he forced them to babysit AND to work on political campaigns, namely his wife's.

Seems as though he should be called out on this as well. But, if this guy gets called on the carpet for this, then the others should get called out on their stuff, but as we know, there is a certain detente in the House right now, whereas, you don't tell on me, and I won't tell on you, which is really stupid, and wrong.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolialover
    Seems as though he should be called out on this as well.
    The only defense reps have is "both sides do it". They try to paint both sides with a broad brush. However "it" is not the same in every case.

Abuse staff to wring work out of them? Bad, especially for a (I assume) pro labor democrat. But does that compare to selling favors worth millions to donors? Does that compare to taking bribes to secure MILITARY contracts in time of WAR?

Nope. But they don't want people to think about what they have done, just "a pox on both their houses".

The corruption on the right is much worse, and hurts us much more. Follow the money, and remember that money follows power.

SOME people on both sides have problems, because they are people. But the corruption on the republican side is much worse, and has a much more detrimental effect on the nation.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Sticky Valentine
    I don't think you'll find anyone on here who is a self proclaimed liberal defending what this guy is doing. I don't know why people think that this makes everything okay. Eff em all, if they're corrupt, then they're corrupt and should be dealt with.

Like Hoo says too though. It's bad, and it's effed up. But it doesn't affect many people beyond those directly involved, unlike so many other schemes and shady dealings.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Master of flip comments

Yes, corruption exists on both sides. However, I don't think you'll find anyone here excusing Conyers for these acts like you and your kind have excused Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice/Delay for all the lying, corruption, and sleaze. Also, don't forget the thousands of our men and women soldiers that have been killed.

It kills me when this sort of thing is trotted out, like this excuses anything.

Soon to be banned
    Baby sitting vs millions in bribes. I'd say that's about equal...

Did the babysitter die?

Was there sex involved?

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gregario
    Yes, corruption exists on both sides. However, I don't think you'll find anyone here excusing Conyers for these acts like you and your kind have excused Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice/Delay for all the lying, corruption, and sleaze. Also, don't forget the thousands of our men and women soldiers that have been killed.

It kills me when this sort of thing is trotted out, like this excuses anything.
    Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice/Delay - lying, corruption, and sleaze?.... Ha! That's the short list...

Self-Banned
    Could it be that moneyman is trying to posit himself as "The Paragon of virtue"?

Daylight Fading

Can we please stop using the "pox" phrase?

Nope. But they don't want people to think about what they have done, just "a pox on both their houses".

Seriously. Just stop.

So sayeth the Bob. (sorry Funk)

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah I know what you mean, but if you don't believe it's corrupt and equally so on bot sides of the aisle, you're delusional!

Hillary Clinton may want to run for president as a banner-carrier of populist fervor -- can Democrats run as anything else these days? -- but her corporate ties may trip her campaign before it even gets running. The New York Times reports today on her cozy relationship with Corning, a major employer in New York and one of her biggest contributors. It turns out that the benefits have flowed bidirectionally between Hillary and Corning:
    In April 2003, a month after Corning's political action committee gave $10,000 to her re-election campaign, Mrs. Clinton announced legislation that would provide hundreds of millions in federal aid to reduce diesel pollution, using, among other things, technology pioneered by Corning. It was one of several Congressional initiatives Mrs. Clinton has pushed that benefit the company. And in April 2004, Mrs. Clinton began a push to persuade the Chinese government to relax tariffs on Corning fiber optics products, inviting the Chinese ambassador to her office and personally asking President Bush for help in the matter. One month after the beginning of that ultimately successful effort, Corning's chairman, James Houghton, held a fund-raiser at his home that collected tens of thousands of dollars for her re-election campaign.
    It is part of a senator's job description to help a major employer in his or her home state, and it is not unusual for that employer to encourage that help or to reciprocate with campaign contributions.
    As an aside, I love how Mike McIntire and Raymond Hernandez throw that last sentence in their report. I suppose when Jack Abramoff does this on behalf of native Americans, it shows how the dirty lobbyists have corrupted the American political process. However, when Corning cuts out the middleman and shoves money into Hillary's coffers just before and after she initiates official actions on their behalf, suddenly that's just how the game is played! Had this story been about a GOP Senator and involved any lobbyist for Corning, those two paragraphs would have been the lead on a front-page political scandal story. And perhaps they still should be.
    Putting that aside for the moment, the revelation of Hillary's shilling for corporate America will not go down well with the MoveOn/International ANSWER crowd that appears to run her political party these days. It's bad enough that Hillary used to sit on Walmart's board of directors and took lots of political donations from the Waltons on Bill's behalf during that period. This already has stuck in the craw of union organizers, and the Wal-Mart baggage became so heavy that Hillary has recently taken to scolding her former bestest buddies in public.

Now she has helped grease the skids for Corning with the same Chinese whose cheap labor threatens the American labor market and applies downward pressure on wages. (It also reminds one of her association with Wal-Mart and their extensive business dealings with Chinese manufacturers.) Corning sent $46,000 to Hillary's re-election campaign in the spring of 2004 after her intercession with the Chinese ambassador in attempting to reverse their tariffs on Corning. Her constituents may wonder how Hillary has so much clout with China, but veteran Clinton watchers already know the answer to that question.

This kind of corporate flacking might make sense for someone who believes in free-market solutions. However, as HillaryCare readily proved, that doesn't describe the junior Senator from New York at all. She has until recently often argued for greater regulation and expansion of government at the expense of free trade. That reached its apex in the health-care reform that she and her husband tried to implement in the first two years of his presidency. Her single-payor system attempted to essentially nationalize health care and put the government in charge of its rationing, along the same lines as Canada and the UK.

It seems as though Hillary's Corning ties will create hard questions about her run from both the right and the left. The latter will reject her association with corporate America, while the former will want to know exactly why Corning sent all that money in close connection with legislative activities on their behalf. The Hillary/Corning relationship has something unethical to offer all sides.
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

Thus: even Zarathustra
    it was pointed out if clinton was to be remembered for one thing in the course of his presidency he went to bat for, it would be "free trade"on a global basis. support for and development of the WMF, WTO, and IMF.

nafta and now cafta & china for instance, do just what is needed for us multi national corporate interests, profit from a labor pool that is underpaid in weak currency, avoiding pollution and worker rights at the same time. it also serves well to have a work force in which the people in need of a living exceed the number of jobs available, a true buyer's market to keep wages low, here in the us and abroad.

all this drives home the fact that the so called elected representitives in the us are working for the sake of corporate interest at the expense of the voting public.

all of the naive partisan posturing and misguided party loyalties do make this an easier job, as emotional issues then conveniently overshadow issues of substance, so the business at hand can be conducted as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    Yeah I know something unethical to offer all sides.
    Last edited by odeum; 04-14-2006 at 12:27 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    Gee Steam, I am sure it is coincidence, but your post shares some phrases EXACTLY with a post from Captain's Quarters. Stealing other's work without giving them credit? Trying to hide the fact that you have no ideas of your own?

LAZY!

Both sides might have their hands out, but the money is flowing to those with power. That is how one gets a return on one's investment.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Look I don't care what you think of the source or that fact that I didn't specifically cite it. You obviously had no trouble figuring it out. No ideas of my own? I have posted plenty only to get some lame idiot asking for a source.

So you want to weigh how much everyone gets in order to judge the degree of guilt? That is plainly obvious. So if and when the libs get ' the power' back we can expect their corrupt greed to go higher? You are a hypocrite.
    - From my beer koozie

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

RoadBikeReview Member
    So you agree that those that took bribes in the form of political donations to help Native American causes were guilty but Hillarity is only protecting American workers by doing similarly?
    - From my beer koozie

- the rydster

- Snakebit

Quiet, daddy's drinking

You so funny Steam.

Look I don't care what you think of the source or that fact that I didn't specifically cite it. You obviously had no trouble figuring it out. No ideas of my own? I have posted plenty only to get some lame idiot asking for a source.

So you want to weigh how much everyone gets in order to judge the degree of guilt? That is plainly obvious. So if and when the libs get ' the power' back we can expect their corrupt greed to go higher? You are a hypocrite.

I can always count on you to put a smile on my face. Let's see here, obsession with Hillary and then libs, corrupt greed and hypocrite in the same paragraph. Please stop it Steam, you're killing me.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.

Legal Notice: General disclosure of non offensive intent.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

Self-Banned

Wake up! Hello! The dr. wasn't criticizing the source; he was specifically criticizing you for cribbing other peoples writing and not providing citations. Duh! Just because the dr. "had no trouble figuring it out" doesn't make it OK. Duh! Furthermore your excuse, "I have posted plenty only to get some lame idiot asking for a source" is so flimsy as to be transparent. It only serves to underscore that you don't have any of your own ideas, you have no respect for anybody else and that you are no paragon of virtue. "Hypocite"? Holy moly! Pot meet kettle! This goes on low-light reel for sure. Don't worry though because you and your crew should be having 6 disc box set out from the archives any time now and maybe this one will just get lost in all of that "virtue". BJII had said the other day that it would be fun to revisit some of the things the usual suspects have said over the last couple of years and I've been think much the same. Perhaps we can repost those jems under the title "The Paragons Of Virtue". We'll be sure to give moneyman the citation for the idea.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder
    I can always count on you to put a smile on my face. Let's see here, obsession with Hillary and then libs, corrupt greed and hypocrite in the same paragraph. Please stop it Steam, you're killing me.

It's performance art as comedy... He doesn't simply tell jokes; he's the manifestation of jokes.

Shirtcocker

duh...as if we didn't know there are crooked politicians--what does this crooked politician have to do with Bush's impeachment though? Is this another attack the messenger ploy by Rove? Dig up dirt on anyone who opposes you?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    duh...as if we didn't know there are crooked politicians--what does this crooked politician have to do with Bush's impeachment though? Is this another attack the messenger ploy by Rove? Dig up dirt on anyone who opposes you?

Let it bleed. Let's hear about all of the dirt wherever it might be. Let's burn this muthafcuker down!

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    Let it bleed. Let's hear about all of the dirt wherever it might be. Let's burn this muthafcuker down!
    Yeah really. I think the Pubs feel we'll defend this dude because he's a Dem--not me--a scumbag is a scumbag and if he did something wrong then get him out of there. Same with Georgie and company.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Yeah really. I think the Pubs feel we'll defend this dude because he's a Dem--not me--a scumbag is a scumbag and if he did something wrong then get him out of there. Same with Georgie and company.

What's funny is that the Kool-Aid Kids will keep clucking on like we defend the corruption while they defend the corruption as though we're the ones defending the corruption.

Oh you headless chicken
    Can those poor teeth take so much kicking?
    You're always so charming
    As you peck your way up there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well go back and check my prognostications vs. the rabid libs who have been claiming the sky is falling for the last 7 or so years I've been posting here. I give you a head start - try to see who was claiming that our troops would be wiped out because of the chemical weapons Saddam was going to use against them. Kinda' strange they would make that claim since they all knew prior that he had none.

I could go on, but it would be pointless. A mob has no reason. They are just a mob and your part of it.
    - From my beer koozie

- the rydster

- Snakebit