Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

To the people in no helmet required states

I am talking about the states where no helmet is required for motorcycles.
    Does this mean the same for bicycles?
    Does the mentality carry over?

Moderatus Puisne
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Just moved to MN - surprises me to see all these motos sans lid!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    i live in WI and there is no law requiring motorcycle or bicycle helmets. I didn't know there were laws in other places requiring people to wear bike helmets. Doesn't seem like a law that would be enforced very often if it was in place unless the biker was already running stop lights, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Here in Virginia there is a helmet law for motorcycles and one for people under a certain age on bikes. I think people under 15 or 16 have to wear a helmet when on a bike but everybody has to wear one when on a motorcycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Same in Canada. I believe it's 16 and under are required when riding a bicycle and everyone is required on a motorcycle. People who ride both, especially a motorcycle without one are absolute dumbasses.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    Pretty much. I'm here in Kansas, and helmets are worn by almost none. Really though, it depends on the rider.

It seems to me the more recreational the purpose is the more likely the person embraces safety out of the people I know.

That being said, I also work on an Air Force base, and they require that motorcycle wearers have at the minimum: a helmet and a reflective vest. This policy does not go to bicyclers though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    here in NY helmets are required for motorcycles and for bikes when the rider is 14 and under (something like that.

however, if you're out riding on the road with traffic and don't have a helmet on, I hope you haven't reproduced so that your genes can be wiped from the pool. just sayin'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Helmets are like seat belts. Once you're used to using them you feel vulnerable without.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not aware of any state that requires adults on bicycles to wear helmets. Some require children under a certain age to do so; the cutoff age varies (13 and under here in Connecticut). Connecticut does not require moto helmets, and my unscientific impression is that the percentage who go helmetless is similar for moto and bicycles, though in spite of the law it is my impression that more adults than kids wear helmets when bicycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    after working for years in trauma departments in California, I cannot fathom who would ride a bike without a helmet. Paramedics and physicians tell almost every single serious accident survivor they owe their new lease on life to their helmet. I wish people in these states would be smart.

is super good looking.
    A helmet saved my life when I first learned how to use front brakes in mountain application. I slid off a cliff and onto my head, and walked away with a pounding headache.

Thank you helmets for existing and being extremely affordable and very stylish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In PA, there is a law requiring children 12 and under to have a helmet. That's it. No helmet law for motorcycles. That's pretty new, maybe 5-10 years.

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    I hate the "you owe your life to your helmet" argument. I have been hurt with and without a helmet. The most serious head injury I have sustained while cycling was with a helmet. There is no way to accurately gauge whether or not the helmet lessened the injury any aside from maybe a couple of layers of skin being saved. A good deal of the cyclists killed every year are wearing helmets. When you get struck by a car, the helmet probably is not going to keep you from severe injury.

I think they do prevent some of the less serious injuries and I do wear one 100% of the time. But really I think their value is over-rated. Life saving devices... no, NIMHO (and I was a nationally certified EMT so I have SOME basis for my opinion.

Massachusetts does require a helmet for motorcycles, and one for bicycles for riders under the age of 16 (this goes for any wheeled device such as a scooter, or skateboard). In my town there is a skate park directly behind the police station. On any given summer day you can see a dozen kids under age 16 NOT wearing them... So zero enforcement is going on in regards to bicycles.
    Last edited by torch511; 03-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howdoesseanroll View Post
    after working for years in trauma departments in California, I cannot fathom who would ride a bike without a helmet. Paramedics and physicians tell almost every single serious accident survivor they owe their new lease on life to their helmet. I wish people in these states would be smart.
    This is an endless argument, but I basically agree with you, and I'd bet the great majority of people who post here ride with a helmet at least most of the time.

I bought a Bell Biker (the first real bicycling helmet) in 1978, and have worn a helmet for almost all my riding since then, probably at least 75,000 miles.

I think I've had my helmet actually hit the ground in a crash only three times. One of those times the helmet was crushed enough in one spot to make me pretty certain that it saved me from a serious injury. This happened 10 miles into a century, and the helmet cushioned the impact enough that I did not know my head had hit the road. I didn't discover the damage to the helmet until I took it off at the end of the ride.

Anecdotal, but enough evidence for me to strap on the lid before every ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My home town made bike helmets manitory for all. Not a state law.
    Helmets for moto's is a state law.

We also have laws on the books that you cannot park your horse on Main Street, one can beat your wife with a wooden rod no larger than 1" in diameter and prostitution is legal.

Goverment get out of my life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I believe there is a bike helmet law here in Utah for children only, not sure of the age.

No helmet law for motos. Not sure if there is a law re: children helmets on motos.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

'11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    In WA, there isn't a state law regarding cycle helmets, but many counties do. Unless you know the county borders by heart, it's simpler to wear a helmet all the time.

Other places I've lived:
    UK requires motorcycle helmets but not cycle helmets.
    Australia requires both.
    Indonesia requires motorcycle helmets but not cycle helmets. In one of the islands about 20 years ago, there was a court case where a pillion passenger was prosecuted for not wearing a helmet. The problem for authorities was that he was dead, in a coffin and on his way to his funeral.

I think charges were dropped in the end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSpokes View Post
    Same in Canada. I believe it's 16 and under are required when riding a bicycle and everyone is required on a motorcycle. People who ride both, especially a motorcycle without one are absolute dumbasses.
    Why is someone who rides a bicycle without a helmet an "absolute dumbass"?

Just Plain Bitter
    In the state of California if you are under the age of 18 a bicycle helmet is required. We have Police officers in my city that sit down the street from the middle school and write tickets before and after school. There is no adult helmet requirement on bicycles but I would have to say that the majority of people riding bicycles do wear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I'm not aware of any state that requires adults on bicycles to wear helmets. Some require children under a certain age to do so; the cutoff age varies (13 and under here in Connecticut). Connecticut does not require moto helmets, and my unscientific impression is that the percentage who go helmetless is similar for moto and bicycles, though in spite of the law it is my impression that more adults than kids wear helmets when bicycling.

Rockland County NY requires helmet use for everyone including adults. I think I recall that it was the only place in the US that required adult use but that was a while ago and it may have changed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The city of Bellevue Washington requires them. I have been stopped twice, well not really stopped but yelled at by two different cops to wear a helmet from now on.
    One of them was on a bicycle and as he was coming out of a city park he yelled at me as I went by. Another was in his car going the other way and he yelled at me to get a helmet.
    Both of these occurrences were about one minute from my house so I can't even go to the store without my helmet.

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by rward325 View Post
    In the state of California if you are under the age of 18 a bicycle helmet is required. We have Police officers in my city that sit down the street from the middle school and write tickets before and after school. There is no adult helmet requirement on bicycles but I would have to say that the majority of people riding bicycles do wear them.
    Sorry If I'm sidetracking the thread but I'm glad I left CA when I did... seems like since I left I've heard nothing but horror stories of that state trying to fix their budget crisis with outrageous traffic tickets.

A buddy of mine just got a $800 ticket for driving 45mph in a 45mph zone. The catch? It was near a high school (school zone) with a "child" present (A "child" is a person under 18 in CA, as in this helmet rule).

The officer wrote it up as going 20mph in a school zone. In court instead of throwing it out the judge merely cut it to $350.

I almost always wear helmets, and have crashed many times (all but once was 100% my fault), but have never hit my head due to a crash. If I ever do, the helmet may help slightly but I agree the effectiveness of a thin layer of foam is way overblown. That said, enough people seem to think they are effective IMO it's a good idea just in case I'm ever seriously injured by another at-fault party, my claim/complaint won't get denied because I wasn't wearing a helmet (even if it's completely irrelevant to the case)
    Last edited by PhotonFreak; 03-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Florida - under 21 must wear helmet on MC. Anyone without MC insurance has to wear a MC helmet. Anyone under 16 has to wear a bike helmet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Here in far west Texas, most motorcycle riders do not wear helmets. There is no helmet law for adults.

Most cyclists wear helmets. The ones that don't wear helmets get harassed by everyone.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Here in Italy children up to a certain age must wear helmets. No requirement for adults on bicycles- I'd say maybe 20% wear helmets. On motorcycles and Vespa helmets are required for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast