Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,556

    Phony Outrage: Another Obama Martha's Vineyard vacation

    I never knew being an advocate for the 99% means you can take 1%er style vacations... but the 1% covers couples making $250k or more... more like .01%er vacation.

    Think John Kerry would let the Obamas go on a ride on his yacht?

    Why not vacation back in Chicago?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bill2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,632
    Who's outraged?

  3. #3
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,556
    Just the pundits on Faux
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  4. #4
    What did you say? Huh?
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    18,155
    So...instead of being outraged over something like the failure of the Amash Amendment, and voicing opinion on it. A topic which in broad daylight validates all your rantings about the broken nature of the 2-party facade government...you choose to post threads about where Obama spends his vacation.

    Got it. Your sense of civic mindedness and importance is noted.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  5. #5
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    So...instead of being outraged over something like the failure of the Amash Amendment, and voicing opinion on it. A topic which in broad daylight validates all your rantings about the broken nature of the 2-party facade government...you choose to post threads about where Obama spends his vacation.

    Got it. Your sense of civic mindedness and importance is noted.
    ....so where's your thread that you created about your outrage?

    Wait.... you didn't create one yet, or seem to post about it on related threads prior to your outrage on this thread.

    and.. yes, I did do a quick search on PO forum... prior to making this claim.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  6. #6
    What did you say? Huh?
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    18,155
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    ....so where's your thread that you created about your outrage?

    Wait.... you didn't create one yet, or seem to post about it on related threads prior to your outrage on this thread.

    and.. yes, I did do a quick search on PO forum... prior to making this claim.
    I've all but quit posting in here regularly, that is why. Unlike yourself. PO has become an echo chamber about guns and not much else. Why bother coming in here regularly?
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  7. #7
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I've all but quit posting in here regularly, that is why. Unlike yourself. PO has become an echo chamber about guns and not much else. Why bother coming in here regularly?
    Like I said... if you going to attack me about what I should be outraged about. Then you should of put your money where your fingers are typing it, and created a thread about the subject.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  8. #8
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    42,621
    Presidential Vacations is really something the GOP shouldn't complain about

    besides Kerry has money to burn and is offering his yacht. That's a cheap vacation
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    54,335
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Presidential Vacations is really something the GOP shouldn't complain about

    besides Kerry has money to burn and is offering his yacht. That's a cheap vacation
    Payback

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Presidential Vacations is really something the GOP shouldn't complain about
    The thing about Obama's vacations is they tend to have an elitist, jet-setter flavor.

    He goes to Hawaii every Winter. As far as I know, he doesn't have any family there. Maybe some distant cousins.

    Then there's the Summer jaunt to The Vineyard. And Spain.... and Aspen... and The Bahamas.

    Bush spent his vacations on his ranch and at his parent's house in Maine.

    Obama (and family) jet set around, while the White House tours are shut down. Seems like he's milking this gig for his own selfish pleasures, while the masses deal with tough times.

    To me, it's not a big deal. But I still think it has a "let them eat cake" ring to it. Not very Presidential.

  11. #11
    Master debator.
    Reputation: nOOky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,321
    I don't care where he goes on vacation, in fact the longer he is gone the better off the country probably is. I hear the Ivory Coast is lovely this time of year.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

  12. #12
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    The thing about Obama's vacations is they tend to have an elitist, jet-setter flavor.

    He goes to Hawaii every Winter. As far as I know, he doesn't have any family there. Maybe some distant cousins.

    Then there's the Summer jaunt to The Vineyard. And Spain.... and Aspen... and The Bahamas.

    Bush spent his vacations on his ranch and at his parent's house in Maine.

    Obama (and family) jet set around, while the White House tours are shut down. Seems like he's milking this gig for his own selfish pleasures, while the masses deal with tough times.

    To me, it's not a big deal. But I still think it has a "let them eat cake" ring to it. Not very Presidential.
    I agree that the President's vacations have an elitist flavor. But, it it any less elitist to vacation at a seaside compound that your family owns or a ranch that you own than to go to a place that you do not own?

    The problem with presidential "vacations" is that any time the President leaves the White House/Camp David bubble, there are significant security and travel costs that really are no different whether he vacations at an elite place or at Motel 6. In fact, I would guess that it is easier to provide security for the President at an elite enclave on an island than it would be to provide security if he decided to camp in a National Park or go to the Jersey Shore. If presidents really were concerned about saving taxpayer dollars, they never would leave the White House. Then, the pundits would say that the President is out of touch with the rest of the country. Presidential lifestyle expenditures have been used by political opponents throughout history -- Martin Van Buren was criticized by William Henry Harrison's campaign in 1840 for having gold spoons in the White House even though they were bought by previous presidents; the criticism's of Nancy Reagan's china pale in comparison to those of Mary Lincoln's spending. But, when presidents go downscale, they are criticized, too. People poked fun at Jimmy Carter when he wore a cardigan and advocated turning down the thermostat in winter or when he carried his own bags.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    54,335
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I agree that the President's vacations have an elitist flavor. But, it it any less elitist to vacation at a seaside compound that your family owns or a ranch that you own then to go to a place that you do not own?

    The problem with presidential "vacations" is that any time the President leaves the White House/Camp David bubble, there are significant security and travel costs that really are no different whether he vacations at an elite place or at Motel 6. In fact, I would guess that it is easier to provide security for the President at an elite enclave on an island than it would be to provide security if he decided to camp in a National Park or go to the Jersey Shore. If presidents really were concerned about saving taxpayer dollars, they never would leave the White House. Then, the pundits would say that the President is out of touch with the rest of the country. Presidential lifestyle expenditures have been used by political opponents throughout history -- Martin Van Buren was criticized by William Henry Harrison's campaign in 1840 for having gold spoons in the White House even though they were bought by previous presidents; the criticism's of Nancy Reagan's china pale in comparison to those of Mary Lincoln's spending. But, when presidents go downscale, they are criticized, too. People poked fun at Jimmy Carter when he wore a cardigan and advocated turning down the thermostat in winter or when he carried his own bags.
    Somehow I think security might be a bit more difficult at Waikiki than at a personal ranch that already has some degree of security installed.

    I think the President and his family are entitled to lives and to enjoy the perks of the office. The Obamas seem to feel pretty much the same way.

  14. #14
    DBT
    DBT is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    The thing about Obama's vacations is they tend to have an elitist, jet-setter flavor.

    He goes to Hawaii every Winter. As far as I know, he doesn't have any family there. Maybe some distant cousins.

    Then there's the Summer jaunt to The Vineyard. And Spain.... and Aspen... and The Bahamas.

    Bush spent his vacations on his ranch and at his parent's house in Maine.

    Obama (and family) jet set around, while the White House tours are shut down. Seems like he's milking this gig for his own selfish pleasures, while the masses deal with tough times.

    To me, it's not a big deal. But I still think it has a "let them eat cake" ring to it. Not very Presidential.
    The leader of the FREE world should not have freedom to vacation where he chooses? Only his own house or to a family reunion?

    The President (no matter which letter follows his/her(?) name) is never actually on vacation.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    The thing about Obama's vacations is they tend to have an elitist, jet-setter flavor.

    He goes to Hawaii every Winter. As far as I know, he doesn't have any family there. Maybe some distant cousins.

    Then there's the Summer jaunt to The Vineyard. And Spain.... and Aspen... and The Bahamas.

    Bush spent his vacations on his ranch and at his parent's house in Maine.

    Obama (and family) jet set around, while the White House tours are shut down. Seems like he's milking this gig for his own selfish pleasures, while the masses deal with tough times.

    To me, it's not a big deal. But I still think it has a "let them eat cake" ring to it. Not very Presidential.
    have you been to Marth'a vineyard? I have. It's not that cool. Am I an elitist?
    Have you ever been to hawaii? I go almost every year. Am I an elitist?
    I'm going to Lake Tahoe next week...am I an elitist?

    this sounds more like "I don't get out much" than anything else...
    Not banned yet.

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    have you been to Marth'a vineyard? Yes. I have. It's not that cool. Am I an elitist?
    Have you ever been to hawaii? No. I go almost every year. Am I an elitist? It's starting to sound like it.
    I'm going to Lake Tahoe next week...am I an elitist?

    this sounds more like "I don't get out much" than anything else...
    A week in the mountains and a week at the beach is the extent of my summer vacationing. I'm good with that.
    Maybe you are an elitist jet-setter. I wouldn't know. But from your bragging about your travels, it sounds like a possibility.

    I always get a kick out of vocal greenies who log bookoo miles vacationing. What's your carbon footprint?

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: troutmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,742
    Obama should stay at home in a trailer, drink cheap a$$ beer, and post on the political forum so no one can claim he's an elitist
    Do Not Respond List:

    AM999
    Hello Kitty
    SANDAN

    ***********************

    We cannot Moderate every thread or every post. By and large, if we receive no complaints about a post and it slips down past the current crop of active threads, we will not retroactively edit it. Feel free to use the “report post” button if you see something that merits attention. As before, direct insults towards other member will be an immediate time-out. Most other things will be edited and discussed.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Obama should stay at home in a trailer, drink cheap a$$ beer, and post on the political forum so no one can claim he's an elitist
    Trailer for sale or rent

    Rooms to let fifty cents

    No phone no pool no pets

    I ain't got no cigarettes

  19. #19
    Lost in Space...
    Reputation: headloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    Obama (and family) jet set around, while the White House tours are shut down. Seems like he's milking this gig for his own selfish pleasures, while the masses deal with tough times.

    To me, it's not a big deal. But I still think it has a "let them eat cake" ring to it. Not very Presidential.
    Are his vacations really that elitist relative to anyone else at his level of power? It seems to me that it's all just a product of the 24hr news cycle and without merit. I don't know, I guess I'm blind to this issue... call it the boy-who-cried-wolf-effect, since such a stink was made over his trip to Africa which was a very sensible trip for a growing trading partner with a huge population. Maybe some of his other trips were "elitist" but it's hard to tell the good from the bad when you have Faux bad mouthing any and all trips he makes.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Ah but, two hours of pushing broom

    Buys a eight by twelve four bit room

    I'm a man of means by no means

    King of the road

  21. #21
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    Are his vacations really that elitist relative to anyone else at his level of power? It seems to me that it's all just a product of the 24hr news cycle and without merit. I don't know, I guess I'm blind to this issue... call it the boy-who-cried-wolf-effect, since such a stink was made over his trip to Africa which was a very sensible trip for a growing trading partner with a huge population. Maybe some of his other trips were "elitist" but it's hard to tell the good from the bad when you have Faux bad mouthing any and all trips he makes.
    Ironic, that when Bush #43 was president, the media complained about all of Bush's vacations.

    For example Here's what Jay Carney wrote about Bush when he was at Time:
    Bush, on Vacation, Pushes for Photo Ops: Caring or Cynical? - TIME

    Flash forward, 10 years....


    It's only fair when the media criticizes Bush taking too many vacations... some of us can do the same for Obama. Plus, when was the last vacation where Obama invited various world leaders?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Let'sRide View Post
    Maybe you are an elitist jet-setter. I wouldn't know. But from your bragging about your travels, it sounds like a possibility.

    I always get a kick out of vocal greenies who log bookoo miles vacationing. What's your carbon footprint?
    am I a vocal 'greenie'? who knew!!?

    so you've been to the Vineyard too? maybe you're an elitist, by your own definition.

    I suggest everyone travel more. It helps destroy one's preconceptions and biases.
    Next year's destinations include New Orleans for Jazz Fest and a couple weeks in Nepal. Quite cheap vacations if you do them right.
    Not banned yet.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    54,335
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    am I a vocal 'greenie'? who knew!!?

    so you've been to the Vineyard too? maybe you're an elitist, by your own definition.

    I suggest everyone travel more. It helps destroy one's preconceptions and biases.
    Next year's destinations include New Orleans for Jazz Fest and a couple weeks in Nepal. Quite cheap vacations if you do them right.
    Define quite cheap?

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bahueh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    15,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Define quite cheap?
    frequent flyer miles for one ticket to NOLA...extended family to stay with while there.
    Maybe $600 total plus food/drinks for 3-5 days for 2 people.

    Nepal airfare is a killer...maybe $1600/person. ONce there, about $8-10/person/day. Trekking is generally free. We have friends/acquaintances in Katmandu to stay with.
    Save up for a year, its quite doable. I'm a DINK, so sue me.
    Not banned yet.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Snakebit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    54,335
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    frequent flyer miles for one ticket to NOLA...extended family to stay with while there.
    Maybe $600 total plus food/drinks for 3-5 days for 2 people.

    Nepal airfare is a killer...maybe $1600/person. ONce there, about $8-10/person/day.
    Save up for a year, its quite doable. I'm a DINK, so sue me.
    Well, don't get kidnapped by a Yeti.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. martha and the muffins
    By easyridernyc in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
  2. Take THAT, Martha Stewart...
    By Opus51569 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 07:46 PM
  3. Phony outrage surrounding ACORN can kiss my arse.
    By DrRoebuck in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
  4. MS Tour the Vineyard
    By teamvwracing in forum New England
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 01:41 AM
  5. Martha convicted
    By DougSloan in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook