Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eminence grease

Republicans try a little reverse psychology

A political masterstroke - denigrate your candidates chances and puff up Obama in order to make him overly confident.

The Romney campaign is so, very, crafty.

Link: First on CNN: Romney memo seeks to lower debate expectations – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Actual letter:

To: Interested Parties
    Date: September 27, 2012
    Re: 2012 Presidential Debates

In a matter of days, Governor Romney and President Obama will meet on the presidential debate stage. President Obama is a universally-acclaimed public speaker and has substantial debate experience under his belt. However, the record he's compiled over the last four years – higher unemployment, lower incomes, rising energy costs, and a national debt spiraling out of control – means this will be a close election right up to November 6th.

Between now and then, President Obama and Governor Romney will debate three times. While Governor Romney has the issues and the facts on his side, President Obama enters these contests with a significant advantage on a number of fronts.

Voters already believe – by a 25-point margin – that President Obama is likely to do a better job in these debates. Given President Obama's natural gifts and extensive seasoning under the bright lights of the debate stage, this is unsurprising. President Obama is a uniquely gifted speaker, and is widely regarded as one of the most talented political communicators in modern history. This will be the eighth one-on-one presidential debate of his political career. For Mitt Romney, it will be his first.

Four years ago, Barack Obama faced John McCain on the debate stage. According to Gallup, voters judged him the winner of each debate by double-digit margins, and their polling showed he won one debate by an astounding 33-point margin. In the 2008 primary, he faced Hillary Clinton, another formidable opponent – debating her one-on-one numerous times and coming out ahead. The takeaway? Not only has President Obama gained valuable experience in these debates, he also won them comfortably.

But what must President Obama overcome? His record. Based on the campaign he's run so far, it's clear that President Obama will use his ample rhetorical gifts and debating experience to one end: attacking Mitt Romney. Since he won't – and can't – talk about his record, he'll talk about Mitt Romney. We fully expect a 90-minute attack ad aimed at tearing down his opponent. If President Obama is as negative as we expect, he will have missed an opportunity to let the American people know his vision for the next four years and the policies he'd pursue. That's not an opportunity Mitt Romney will pass up. He will talk about the big choice in this election – the choice between President Obama's government-centric vision and Mitt Romney's vision for an opportunity society with more jobs, higher take-home pay, a better-educated workforce, and millions of Americans lifted out of poverty into the middle class.

This election will not be decided by the debates, however. It will be decided by the American people. Regardless of who comes out on top in these debates, they know we can't afford another four years like the last four years. And they will ultimately choose a better future by electing Mitt Romney to be our next president.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I wonder if Mittens wants to bet anyone $10,000 on the outcome.

Call me a Fred
    Mitt Romney's vision for an opportunity society with more jobs, higher take-home pay, a better-educated workforce, and millions of Americans lifted out of poverty into the middle class.
    Mitt has never articulated and details on how he will make his vision something other that a dream. Is going to raise the minimum wage to achieve his dream of higher take-home pay and lifting millions of Americans out of poverty and into middle class? Is he going to federally subsidize tuition to better educate the workforce? What, exactly, is he going to do, other than dream?
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    Mitt has never articulated and details on how he will make his vision something other that a dream. Is going to raise the minimum wage to achieve his dream of higher take-home pay and lifting millions of Americans out of poverty and into middle class? Is he going to federally subsidize tuition to better educate the workforce? What, exactly, is he going to do, other than dream?
    How is dreaming different than hoping for change?

Sort of facetious, but I'm genuinely interested in an answer.

Big is relative
    The DNC guys were on the news channels downplaying Obama's chances in the debates. They use the fact that Romney has most recently been in debates (primaries) and the President hasn't been in one since 2008. He should practice against Biden.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Pres has a tendency to come across as arrogant...which will not work in his favor during any debate, regardless of how accurate he might be on a point-for-point basis.

As we saw during the GOP debates, substance of responses had little to do with the general population's opinions of who won and who lost.

If it did, it's highly unlikely Gov R would be the nominee.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post

The 'change' was easy to see. A white Christian Texan was replaced by a black Muslim Kenyan.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    I for one hate when the two schmucks stand up every four years and play 'hard ball' by giggling and smiling at each other while they 'disagree' on issues. Meanwhile the political ads 'not run by them' are so perverse and lack any sort of integrity. How could you stand on stage with such a virtue-less man who has wrongly smeared your image and just play soft paws with the bastard? If they believed what they say, that each other is going to ruin America, their behavior and body language would be different. Schmucks.

God it makes me sick, the whole sham.

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLopez View Post
    I for one hate when the two schmucks stand up every four years and play 'hard ball' by giggling and smiling at each other while they 'disagree' on issues. Meanwhile the political ads 'not run by them' are so perverse and lack any sort of integrity. How could you stand on stage with such a virtue-less man who has wrongly smeared your image and just play soft paws with the bastard? If they believed what they say, that each other is going to ruin America, their behavior and body language would be different. Schmucks.

It would be more honorable if each candidate was equipped with a bucket of mud to toss on his.her opponent.
    Mike

You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    It would be more honorable if each candidate was equipped with a bucket of mud to toss on his.her opponent.
    We should just 'augment' the 'honorable canidates' with lie detector readouts. That would be a hoot and a half.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLopez View Post

Personally I think it should be a steel-cage match... two men enter, one man leaves.

Srsly though, you can't do full-on rage during a debate. It makes a lot of the electorate think you're friggin' nuts and that you stopped taking your meds.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Far as the debates go, I think Mittens will do just fine. Obama's nature is to play it cautious, so he's not going to get too emotional and open himself up to a big counterpunch.

My guess is RoboMitt will marginally win the debates. The real question is, "Will it be enough to matter?".
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:

Platypius:

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Far as the debates go, I think Mittens will do just fine. Obama's nature is to play it cautious, so he's not going to get too emotional and open himself up to a big counterpunch.

My guess is RoboMitt will marginally win the debates. The real question is, "Will it be enough to matter?".
    For ten large, Mitt will take your bet, too, I'd bet.

But I think Mitt's lack of appeal to the commoner will be problematic in this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl

But I think Mitt's lack of appeal to the commoner will be problematic in this debate.

the campaign just updated his laughing software.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

Is it true the software developers just sampled the first 17 seconds of Dr. Evil's laughing sequence?

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post
    I just don't understand how someone who's spent so much of his life in politics can STILL come across as so awkward and seemingly uncomfortable in his own skin.

I mean, you can literally see him calculating, "What is the correct human response to make ppl like me? Breep." Even my GOP friends hate this about him.

We call him Mittens a lot, but 'RoboMitt' does seem more apt.

Kitty:

Platypius:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post

Dreaming you have a picture in your mind what you want. Hoping for undefined change is just hoping she won't be fat.

Not Banned

he's just so gawd damned

I just don't understand how someone who's spent so much of his life in politics can STILL come across as so awkward and seemingly uncomfortable in his own skin.

I mean, you can literally see him calculating, "What is the correct human response to make ppl like me? Breep." Even my GOP friends hate this about him.

insincere about everything
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Many people sound "stiff" when they are being deceptive.

He'll be stiff in the debates.

Romney can relax only with other multimillionaires. Then the real Mitt comes out to play.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    insincere about everything

That's what sucking silver since birth will do for a person. That and knowing someday you will be god of your own universe.
    Last edited by walter2007; 09-30-2012 at 07:10 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Romney can relax only with other multimillionaires. Then the real Mitt comes out to play.
    Everything he says has to be weighed against what can be made of it. With a GOP candidate it will get twisted to the worst possible way to view it. With Obama, "He didn't mean THAT."

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Many people sound "stiff" when they are being deceptive.

[RoboMitt] will be stiff in the debates.
    Maybe. But in the US Presidential form of 'debates' (basically, almost a joint press conference), the candidates are heavily-scripted and pretty much know what they're going to say in advance.

To me, it's the one venue (well, besides a gathering of multimillionaires) where RoboMitt might NOT sound as weird and forced as he normally does.

Kitty:

Platypius:

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Everything he says has to be weighed against what can be made of it. With a GOP candidate it will get twisted to the worst possible way to view it.

With Obama, "He didn't mean THAT."
    On the other hand, there's still millions of abject idiots who, via willful ignorance, still insist he wasn't born in this country.

Kitty:

Platypius:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Everything he says has to be weighed against what can be made of it. With a GOP candidate it will get twisted to the worst possible way to view it. With Obama, "He didn't mean THAT."
    Or maybe with Obama he just doesn't say as much stupid shiit as Mitt. Mitt is his own worst enemy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    The debates will be won/lost in a Moment. It won't be specific issues--it will be demeanor in response. Bad for Barack is that be seems to have come to a real dislike of Romney. He has to hide that--"you're likeable enough.". If Mitt can break thru the caricature of himself in some way--show real empathy or sense--he can win a debate. Barack is not a good debater. He should quietly ask for details of Rommey's bad ideas and let Mitt dangle.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast