Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revenge?

RoadBikeReview Member

Revenge?

What was Obama talking about when he told his audience to vote for revenge? They should run a photo of him on a steam roller yelling "Revenge" like a Fish Called Wanda.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    He definitely couldn't have been riffing off George Herbert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    He definitely couldn't have been riffing off George Herbert
    So what was he referencing? What has Romney done that a vote should be a revenge for? There aere any number of reasons why people might not vote for Romney but this statement was a direct request for some kind of revenge. For what?

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    So what was he referencing? What has Romney done that a vote should be a revenge for? There aere any number of reasons why people might not vote for Romney but this statement was a direct request for some kind of revenge. For what?
    Republicans are cute when they all play (that's as diplomatically as I can put it) dumb and feign outrage.

gazing from the shadows
    So what was he referencing?
    Audience boos, or more specifically the reason for the boos.

"Don't boo, vote." He has said that many, many times. So adding "voting is the best revenge" I read as "revenge for those things you were just booing about that you don't like." Booing does nothing, voting does.

To think it means something else, given the context of the statement and other statements, seems a reach.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Audience boos, or more specifically the reason for the boos.

"Don't boo, vote." He has said that many, many times. So adding "voting is the best revenge" I read as "revenge for those things you were just booing about that you don't like." Booing does nothing, voting does.

To think it means something else, given the context of the statement and other statements, seems a reach.
    Would you read it the same way if it had come from Romney? It's a strange word for someone to use who wants the job of easing political tensions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Republicans are cute when they all play (that's as diplomatically as I can put it) dumb and feign outrage.
    And you can't understand why Obama can't get Republican buy in?

I see trees of green
    LOL! Good one, Snake!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Easing of tensions begins on Wednesday morning. C'mon, Snake. You are smarter than you are writing on this thread.

I see trees of green
    It's a strange word for someone to use who wants the job of easing political tensions.
    Fcuking hilarious.

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spinner View Post
    Easing of tensions begins on Wednesday morning. C'mon, Snake. You are smarter than you are writing on this thread.
    No, no, please... Let him keep going. This is funny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Amongst other things, the attitude summed up by the 47% comments

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Because republicans were totally on board with helping him out from day one. If only Obama hadn't been so mean to their delica sensibilities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Amongst other things, the attitude summed up by the 47% comments
    Revenge is an up escalator.

Not Banned
    Snake's gonna keep defending the GOP until they come after his SS and Medicare
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Snake, how can your not see what is so obvious? He has been waging a war on success for nearly four years. Losers need to seek revenge against those who perpetually demonstrate that hard work leads to success--the one thing that exposes the results of their effing off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Snake, how can your not see what is so obvious? He has been waging a war on success for nearly four years. Losers need to seek revenge against those who perpetually demonstrate that hard work leads to success--the one thing that exposes the results of their effing off.
    This actually sums up well the beauty of the literary allusion

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    What was Obama talking about when he told his audience to vote for revenge? They should run a photo of him on a steam roller yelling "Revenge" like a Fish Called Wanda.
    Revenge is a code word for reparations - both race and class. The D's love code words.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    Snake's gonna keep defending the GOP until they come after his SS and Medicare
    SS is not going to change for my generation, yours maybe. Medicare is already under attack and not from the right so much as the left trying to redirect the purpose and dilute the service it can cover.

Revenge is a sorry theme to base a campaign on no matter which side is pushing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Revenge is a sorry theme to base a campaign on no matter which side is pushing it.
    I love that the side which postures against "political tensions" is always ready with a (sharpened) olive branch

Wave, dammit!
    Gadzooks! The President suggested people vent their frustrations through voting!!! What cheek. What unmitigated gall. Quick, somebody call the FEC hotline! This is an outrage, I tells 'ya.

This is uhmerica. Here, we voice our displeasure the way god and the founding fathers intended, by dessing up in costumes and holding signs with pictures of the President and Hitler with an equals sign between them.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love that the side which postures against "political tensions" is always ready with a (sharpened) olive branch
    Do you really like this us against them sh!t? Do you honestly think I do? Revenge has much stronger connotations than just convincing people your plan is better. Of course if your plan sucks.....................

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Revenge is an up escalator.
    As opposed to a down escalator? Are you saying revenge is redundant?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Do you honestly think I do? Revenge has much stronger connotations than just convincing people your plan is better.
    I don't think one can reasonably read the quote this way without having internalized the us vs them mentality, regardless of whether you claim to like it or not

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast