RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

RUSSIA AND SYRIA: Russian cruise missiles any good?

The Syrians have effective ship-killing cruise missiles courtesy of Russia, which is protecting them with a naval force.

Do they work as well as ours? Must all American military vessels leave the Mediterranean and the Gulf in advance ?

I used to read a naval gazette called "Proceedings," and it spoke of our shipborne defenses against missile attack, but that was a long time ago. I think it was basically a mini-gun.

Russia Sold Advanced S-300 Ship-Killing Missiles To Syrian President Bashar Assad, Say US Officials

Proceedings Magazine | U.S. Naval Institute
    Last edited by BadHabit; 06-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Mandated wage laws date back to 1349.

Big is relative
    Syria has had Russian anti-ship missiles for decades. US ships have point defense and anti-missile, missiles to counter cruise missiles. Point defense is the Close In Weapons System (CIWS) that is a multi-barrel cannon that is radar aimed and basically puts a wall of bullets in front of a missile, the Rolling Airframe Missiles which are small missiles that are radar aimed and targeted for sea skimming missile, they're pretty badass, they leave the launcher supersonic, and Sea Sparrow missiles that can take out cruise missiles.

Nothing is new in the Mediterranean except Russia is worried about losing their proxy state along with it's warm water ports.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    a multi-barrel cannon that is radar aimed and basically puts a wall of bullets in front of a missile, the Rolling Airframe Missiles which are small missiles that are radar aimed and targeted for sea skimming missile, they're pretty badass, they leave the launcher supersonic, and Sea Sparrow missiles that can take out cruise missiles.
    I was hoping you'd answer. Sounds good. Must be awesome to see in training. The more I think about it the less I want to see those systems in action. But I do have concern that Iran will interpret inaction as lack of resolve. I had not connected Russia to Syrian ports—they have more of a vested interest in Syria than I knew.
    Mandated wage laws date back to 1349.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    I was hoping you'd answer. Sounds good. Must be awesome to see in training. The more I think about it the less I want to see those systems in action. But I do have concern that Iran will interpret inaction as lack of resolve. I had not connected Russia to Syrian ports—they have more of a vested interest in Syria than I knew.
    There was a period where the USN removed the Phalanx systems (CIWS) if memory serves me right, for a missile only defense but realized the system is too good. 2o mm Tungsten tipped shooting gatling gun essentially
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    There was a period where the USN removed the Phalanx systems (CIWS) if memory serves me right, for a missile only defense but realized the system is too good. 2o mm Tungsten tipped shooting gatling gun essentially
    They put them back on for the Iranian method of small boat swarming in the Strait of Hormuz. You can manually aim them to basically saw a small boat in half.
    Retired sailor

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    They put them back on for the Iranian method of small boat swarming in the Strait of Hormuz. You can manually aim them to basically saw a small boat in half.
    seems a small boat would just wind up splinters
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seemed like during most of the Cold War, the Russians (Soviets) were able to field more-or-less comparable capabilities, though very often with different approaches. They tended to build cheaper systems, using older technologies while we tended to emphasize newer technologies and materials, though at higher costs. The end result would be the Soviets produced lots more of a particular system than we would.

There's an old joke that went something like: "When NASA started sending up astronauts, they found out their ballpoint pens didn't work in Zero Gravity.

To fix the problem, NASA spent years and $Bs developing a pen that would write in 0G, upside down, underwater, on all kinds of surfaces and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to well above boiling.

The Russians used a pencil."

All of which is a long way of saying I'd guess the Russian weapons are probably worthy of our respect/concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    The Syrians have effective ship-killing cruise missiles courtesy of Russia, which is protecting them with a naval force.

Do they work as well as ours? Must all American military vessels leave the Mediterranean and the Gulf in advance ?

I used to read a naval gazette called "Proceedings," and it spoke of our shipborne defenses against missile attack, but that was a long time ago. I think it was basically a mini-gun.

Russia Sold Advanced S-300 Ship-Killing Missiles To Syrian President Bashar Assad, Say US Officials

Proceedings Magazine | U.S. Naval Institute
    Bill

“You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing...We can make the best or the worst of it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    True, think of the Kalashnikov assault rifle's worldwide cult following, or the RPG-7 which the Taliban took out a Chinook with a few years ago. The Serbs even shot down an "invisible" F-117 with an antique SA-3 in later '90s. Our stuff is flashier though.