Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Safest place to be in the USA during a nuclear attack

Where would the safest place to be during a nuclear attack? Obviously you wouldn't want to be in New York, Washington DC, or Los Angeles.

Some ideas I have are

Brownsville, TX: It's too close enough to Mexico. If you bomb that city, the fallout would kill mexicans.

Seattle, WA: Same reason for the above only next to Canada

Alaska: If the russian attacked us fallout could blow back on them, only they will be under attack themselves so what difference does it make.

Kansas City: It's in the middle of the country and the hardest place to reach . . . or at least you'll have a heads up?

Colorado: I hear the mountains are the place you want to be.

Some city that is on the ocean. It will be easy to spot the glowing neon green fish to eat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CurbDestroyer
    Where would the safest place to be during a nuclear attack? Obviously you wouldn't want to be in New York, Washington DC, or Los Angeles.

Some ideas I have are

Brownsville, TX: It's too close enough to Mexico. If you bomb that city, the fallout would kill mexicans.

Seattle, WA: Same reason for the above only next to Canada

Alaska: If the russian attacked us fallout could blow back on them, only they will be under attack themselves so what difference does it make.

Kansas City: It's in the middle of the country and the hardest place to reach . . . or at least you'll have a heads up?

Some city that is on the ocean. It will be easy to spot the glowing neon green fish to eat?
    At sea on a US nuclear missile sub.

I would add though, I would prefer to be at a family thanksgiving dinner. If I lose the people I love in life, WTF do I care about being safe?

Ricardo Cabeza
    Memphis. This place is already a shat hole. Nuking it might actually be an improvement.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Didn't you watch that 80s nuke-yuh-ler attack movie? The Day After, or something like that? Kansas really got nailed
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

my house.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    The Greenbriar Hotel in West Virgina

I read that they have a bomb shelter that is very fancy...It was built during the start of the cold war...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    Didn't you watch that 80s nuke-yuh-ler attack movie? The Day After, or something like that? Kansas really got nailed
    Well that's why I say we'd get a heads up. Evidently we are also home to the biggest manufacture of train wheels, so that make KC a big target.

banned
    Why all the cold war nostalgia? Man, I do not miss discussions like this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    America Samoa if you're gonna get BBq'ed you need some pineapples and fish.
    Edit Signature here---------->

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    It depends on whom we are nuking, and which way the wind is blowing. Oh, wait, you mean if someone nukes us? What?
    Escalate. Always escalate.

Back from the dead
    Seattle Safe? Home of Boeing? Home of Microsoft and dozens of other high tech companies? Sorry, but Seattle goes in the first wave.

Do you have any idea how big Alaska is and how few people live there? The Russians won't attack it not because of fallout, but because it's a waste of a perfectly good nuclear bomb.

Shirtcocker
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    . . . Do you have any idea how big Alaska is and how few people live there? The Russians won't attack it not because of fallout, but because it's a waste of a perfectly good nuclear bomb.
    Alaska it is

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    The Greenbriar Hotel in West Virgina

I read that they have a bomb shelter that is very fancy...It was built during the start of the cold war...

Ding, ding, ding! Winner. You saw that modern marvels episode too!

ab aeterno
    Seattle Safe? Home of Boeing? Home of Microsoft and dozens of other high tech companies? Sorry, but Seattle goes in the first wave.

Do you have any idea how big Alaska is and how few people live there? The Russians won't attack it not because of fallout, but because it's a waste of a perfectly good nuclear bomb.

If it was russia you can bet they would bomb alaska or at least some of the many military bases in Alaska. Remember Alaska was/is the first line against a russian missile attack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    well, based on the history of nuclear weapon use, i'd say anywhere in the US is great seeing how we've been the only nation to drop that bomb...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Beside the Vice President.

Regards,
    J T

RoadBikeReview Member

if it's a terrorist attack. Yes, Colorado is great, not enough density or a port to get in snuck into.

if it's warfare, CO is getting bombed to all hell.

ever hear of NORAD?

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDon
    If it was russia you can bet they would bomb alaska or at least some of the many military bases in Alaska. Remember Alaska was/is the first line against a russian missile attack.
    Alaska might be the first line of DETECTION of a Russian attack, but the facilities there far too remote and widely dispersed to warrant a nuclear strike. In any case, that's all old school. These days, satellites are more useful for detecting missile launches.

ab aeterno
    Alaska might be the first line of DETECTION of a Russian attack, but the facilities there far too remote and widely dispersed to warrant a nuclear strike. In any case, that's all old school. These days, satellites are more useful for detecting missile launches.
    Um no. Ft. Wainwright, Eielson Airforce base, Ft. Richardson, Elmendorg Air Force Base. Two are in Fairbanks, two are in Anchorage and are very close to eachother. Wainwright and Eielson are both very big bases and have lots of military personnel on them. Wainwright is one of the last places lots of troops come and train at before they head to Iraq. Alaska is also a first line of retaliation with the amount of gear up here. Now if you aren't in Fairbanks or Anchorage chances are you're pretty safe.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Here's a fun site to play with: http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html

If you're worried about a "suitcase nuke", figure no more than a couple kt max. Hiroshima was less than 20kt. This tool only does blast damage and doesn't take topology into account, which has a significant affect on how damaging the blast is (see: Nagasaki).

If someone lit off a 1kt suitcase nuke outside the White House it may not even blow out the windows at my office in Rosslyn (2mi away). Not that it wouldn't be a bad day in DC, especially if done during rush hour, but it's not like everything within the beltway would be a smoking crater. For a Russian MIRV (SS-18/SS-27), figure 500kt per warhead, though they could do a single warhead of 5mt. (Bigbill would have more accurate data)

As to the effects of the radiation.... last I checked, Hiroshima and Nagasaki are bustling cities.

supervillain

Palm trees & sunshine!

The oil pipeline in Alaska probably still has several Russian nukes pointed at it. As do the various ports.

The Russians still have LOTS of nukes. There are multiple warheads targeted within key areas (NYC, they target the bridges, etc just to be sure of a "kill").

supervillain

Number10
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    The oil pipeline in Alaska probably still has several Russian nukes pointed at it. As do the various ports.

The Russians still have LOTS of nukes. There are multiple warheads targeted within key areas (NYC, they target the bridges, etc just to be sure of a "kill").

I'm sure uncle sam has a few nukes pointed at various cities around the world. Difference between your nukes and the ruski nukes are uncle sam's nukes would hit their target. The ruski nukes would probably have a GPS malfunction and head towards Australia or NZ.
    "Football is not a matter of life and death...it's more important than that"

"There's only two teams in Liverpool: Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"

- Bill Shankly, Liverpool manager 1959 - 1974

For president!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpap
    I'm sure uncle sam has a few nukes pointed at various cities around the world. Difference between your nukes and the ruski nukes are uncle sam's nukes would hit their target. The ruski nukes would probably have a GPS malfunction and head towards Australia or NZ.
    Is that supposed to be funny?

Everyone knows they are pigeon guided...
    Formidable Pharmacologically

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by J T CUNNINGHAM
    Beside the Vice President.

Regards,
    J T
    Yep. Whatever room in the basement of the WH where Cheney is stuffed is the place to be.

The downside is the company sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast