xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

SCHOOL CORPORAL PUNISHMENT : Maybe not?

Our Lady of Lourdes teacher fired after using yarn to restrain students, teach them to 'sit still'

Thoughts? Political correctness gone amok on veteran teacher? Big Education getting its nose bopped? Reason why some people want to send their kids to private schools?

These are kindergarten kids the teacher was dealing with. My take is this: I could actually see tying a kid's wrist to the desk, to help remind them to sit still, sort of like how people tie a string around their finger to remind themselves to pick up the drycleaning or stop by the gunsmith's on the way home from work.

Binding kids up with a bunch of it goes off the deep end, though, and I'd bet livid if this happened to mine.

[Disclaimer: My son was expelled from his Montessori preschool.]

Sure wish my local media would report more than the bare-boned sensationalism on stories such as this, like how many windings of yarn were used, etc.

Pencil of death
    Eh. *shrugs*

She wasn't fired just for this. She'd had a previous incident. If teachers (or employees) have multiple incidents - it turns into a liability issue for the school. Something bad happens, parents sue, and the school 'knew or should have known' the teacher posed a danger.

If this was her only incident, she'd likely still have her job.

Tying a kid down doesn't seem horribly abusive, but it seems dumb and potentially dangerous. If there is a fire, crazy shooter, etc... Suddenly the teacher has to run around untying kids? In situations where people can't move or are restrained (nursing homes, mental hospitals, ICU) there are lots if staff in case everyone needs evacuated.

The teacher just went about things the wrong way. Just have the kids tested and put on meds. Chemical shackles, that'll teach the squirmy little b@stards.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Go Blue
    She taught at the school for 43 years. Assuming that this was her first job after college, that means she is at least 65 years old. When I was in a Catholic elementary school 43 years ago something like this would not have raised an eyebrow. What I see here is a teacher who was schooled in a different era and an older woman who probably does not have the patience with young kids that she might have had when she was younger.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Our Lady of Lourdes teacher fired after using yarn to restrain students, teach them to 'sit still'

Thoughts? Political correctness gone amok on veteran teacher? Big Education getting its nose bopped? Reason why some people want to send their kids to private schools?

These are kindergarten kids the teacher was dealing with. My take is this: I could actually see tying a kid's wrist to the desk, to help remind them to sit still, sort of like how people tie a string around their finger to remind themselves to pick up the drycleaning or stop by the gunsmith's on the way home from work.

Binding kids up with a bunch of it goes off the deep end, though, and I'd bet livid if this happened to mine.

[Disclaimer: My son was expelled from his Montessori preschool.]

Sure wish my local media would report more than the bare-boned sensationalism on stories such as this, like how many windings of yarn were used, etc.
    I think I would be angry even if it were one strand of yarn if my child was not strong enough to just break it. That isn't old school, being sent to the principle's office and getting your butt busted is old school.

Ricardo Cabeza
    My 4th grade teacher used duct tape to keep two kids in their desks one time. That was years ago.

I told the headmaster at my daughter's school, that if they feel they need to do something like that to keep her in line, they have my full blessing. And not only would she get that at school, but she'd get it from Mr. Boo Hoo (the wooden spoon) when she got home.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    My 4th grade teacher used duct tape to keep two kids in their desks one time. That was years ago.

I told the headmaster at my daughter's school, that if they feel they need to do something like that to keep her in line, they have my full blessing. And not only would she get that at school, but she'd get it from Mr. Boo Hoo (the wooden spoon) when she got home.
    What if they had an emergency situation that required evacuation or running and hiding were to happen while your child was duct taped to their chair?

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    What if they had an emergency situation that required evacuation or running and hiding were to happen while your child was duct taped to their chair?
    She wouldn't be, because they don't do that. They don't even paddle, although I think they should keep that option in reserve. They seem to keep pretty good discipline without it though.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    She taught at the school for 43 years. Assuming that this was her first job after college, that means she is at least 65 years old. When I was in a Catholic elementary school 43 years ago something like this would not have raise an eyebrow. What I see here is a teacher who was schooled in a different era and an older woman who probably does not have the patience with young kids that she might have had when she was younger.
    I had an awful old Kindergarten teacher like that 40 years ago. Mrs. Miller.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Q: Why do you think they fired this teacher? I thought, as did several here, that the woman is probably right at the end of her career, so why didn't they announce her "resignation?" Did she fight it? Employment liability issues (I'm spitballing here)?

FWIW, this would've been considered quite tame at my old Catholic school. Different era, for sure.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    She taught at the school for 43 years. Assuming that this was her first job after college, that means she is at least 65 years old. When I was in a Catholic elementary school 43 years ago something like this would not have raise an eyebrow. What I see here is a teacher who was schooled in a different era and an older woman who probably does not have the patience with young kids that she might have had when she was younger.
    It's said that wisdom comes with age. I'm incredulous that a woman who held the same type of job her whole career was unintentionally ignorant of policy changes regarding student punishment.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    Just have the kids tested and put on meds.
    yeah, that's a GREAT solution.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    People send their kids to public school all the time, and expect teachers to teach them how to behave. Then throw a shoe when the teachers try. Sad. All the teachers I know are counting the minutes to retirement, or going to private schools.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

Pencil of death
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    yeah, that's a GREAT solution.
    I was being sarcastic. Parody as commentary and all that.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Don't care if its a corporal, private or sergeant who punishes the kids. It only matters if they are disciplined.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    I had an awful old Kindergarten teacher like that 40 years ago. Mrs. Miller.
    I had a wonderful old Kindergarten teacher, Miss Russell. I still have very pleasant memories of her. Given that my perception of age was not great when I was five years old, I just checked the Social Security Death Index to see if I could figure out how old she was. She was 70 years old the year that she taught me (the last year before her retirement). So, not all old teachers are bad. But, having seen the decline in tolerance my grandmother had for me (the oldest grandchild) as opposed to my younger cousin (the youngest grandchild) and the lessening tolerance that my mother and former in-law had for grandchildren as they (the grandparents) aged, I think that age could have been a factor in this incident.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

I see trees of green
    I had a wonderful old Kindergarten teacher, Miss Russell. I still have very pleasant memories of her. Given that my perception of age was not great when I was five years old, I just checked the Social Security Death Index to see if I could figure out how old she was. She was 70 years old the year that she taught me (the last year before her retirement). So, not all old teachers are bad. But, having seen the decline in tolerance my grandmother had for me (the oldest grandchild) as opposed to my younger cousin (the youngest grandchild) and the lessening tolerance that my mother and former in-law had for grandchildren as they (the grandparents) aged, I think that age could have been a factor in this incident.
    I think Mrs. Miller was between 65 and 70 years old. She retired a year or two later. At the time or shortly after kindergarten was over, my mother told me that she and some of the other parents believed Mrs. Miller's issue had something to do with her age or generation. My mother and especially my father had a most memorable encounter with her at a parent and teacher meeting.

I didn't intend to suggest all old teachers are bad. I've had some great older teachers too.