Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

School: Teen Arrested After 'Almost Inciting Riot' Wearing NRA Shirt to School

"A West Virginia teen arrested and accused of nearly inciting a riot after a confrontation with a teacher over his National Rifle Association t-shirt has inspired dozens of students across his county to wear similar apparel in solidarity. "

What happen to common-sense at school? I thought school administers lost their mind when they starting suspending students for possession of aspirins (drugs) and butter knifes (weapon). Now, they have a kid arrested for not taking off a t-shirt a teacher didnít like.

Banned forever.....or not
    Kid shoulda been shot for promoting violence.

Rules is rules........Some rules get made up as you go along.

Nexr time you get pulled over, smart mouth the cop. ....Ten different things might happen. Two of them funny, six of them bad, and two of them, real bad.

People should know better than to dis "THE MAN".
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    "A West Virginia teen arrested and accused of nearly inciting a riot after a confrontation with a teacher over his National Rifle Association t-shirt has inspired dozens of students across his county to wear similar apparel in solidarity. "

What happen to common-sense at school? I thought school administers lost their mind when they starting suspending students for possession of aspirins (drugs) and butter knifes (weapon). Now, they have a kid arrested for not taking off a t-shirt a teacher didnít like.
    reading comprehension?
    the kid wasn't arrested for the t-shirt according to what you posted - he could have just as easily said "no" or simply left the school after contacting his parents of the situation. we're are all the sole sum of our decisions. He made his apparently.
    Not banned yet.

Moderatus Puisne
    What is the source for the passage you have quoted? If you have it available, please edit your OP to reflect.

In regard to the concept -- Courts have long upheld that schools may impose dress code restrictions on students. Political and religious messages are often disallowed.

The notion that the student was "arrested," rather than simply told to go home, is alarming, but, I am not sure exactly what this means without context. Legally, the word "arrest" has a broader definition than what many use colloquially.

Banned forever.....or not
    From FOX "NEWS"

A West Virginia teenager who was arrested and suspended from school after he refused to remove an NRA T-shirt is back in class.

Fourteen-year-old Jared Marcum of Logan returned to Logan Middle School on Monday after serving a one-day suspension.

His father, Allen Lardieri, told 13 News that the situation was exaggerated and said, "I don't see how anybody would have an issue with a hunting rifle and NRA put on a T-shirt, especially when policy doesnít forbid it."

The school district's dress code prohibits any profanity, violence, discriminatory messages, but the report noted that gun images are not on the list.

"I will go to the ends of the earth, I will call people, I will write letters, I will do everything in the legal realm to make sure this does not happen again," Lardieri said, according to the report.

Logan County Schools Superintendent Wilma Zigmond didn't immediately return a telephone message Monday.

The teen's lawyer, Ben White, says school administrators maintain that Marcum disrupted the educational process. He says Marcum was exercising his right to free speech and wasn't disruptive.

Excuse me..........Do 14 year olds have a constitutional right to "free speach"????

Or do they have a right to Shut up and sit down?????
    Dad of West Virginia boy arrested over NRA shirt says he'll fight punishment | Fox News
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Marcum wore the same shirt to school Monday. It displays the NRA logo and a hunting rifle.
    Other students across Logan County wore similar shirts, which display the NRA logo and a hunting rifle, to school in a show of support for 14-year-old Jared Marcum, said his lawyer Ben White

Read more: Dad of West Virginia boy arrested over NRA shirt says he'll fight punishment | Fox News
    Sounds like a victory for children's rights.

Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY

Excuse me..........Do 14 year olds have a constitutional right to "free speach"????

Or do they have a right to Shut up and sit down?????
    Dad of West Virginia boy arrested over NRA shirt says he'll fight punishment | Fox News

is that the kid from The Onion's "Patriotic Teen Fails Spanish."...

NSFW

Name:  2.png
Views: 219
Size:  110.7 KB.........Name:  3.png
Views: 169
Size:  111.3 KB

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    reading comprehension?
    the kid wasn't arrested for the t-shirt according to what you posted - he could have just as easily said "no" or simply left the school after contacting his parents of the situation. we're are all the sole sum of our decisions. He made his apparently.
    reading comprehension?

maybe he DID say no, and the teacher wouldn't let it go.

not really enough information in the OP to tell.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Pencil of death
    I wish the OP had posted a source and article.

Without that, it's hard to tell if the teen got 'arrested' because of the shirt, or because of how he responded to being told to take it off.

The School isn't really talking, so I could only find the kids side of things.
    Eighth-grader arrested over NRA shirt returns to school in same shirt

Playing Devil's Advocate - if a kid is told to turn his shirt inside out, flips out, starts a food fight, hits a teacher, screams ill kill you all... Stuff like that would go beyond the bounds of protected free expression, in a school setting.

If a kid is told to turn their shirt inside out, says no and the teacher flips out -- the teacher is in the wrong.

Either type of scenerio is possible, but given the lack of available facts, I don't know which one is true.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    I wish the OP had posted a source and article.

Without that, it's hard to tell if the teen got 'arrested' because of the shirt, or because of how he responded to being told to take it off.
    Kid was arrested for obstruction and disrupting an educational setting.

Both charges sound exactly like what an over-entitled shithead 8th grader gets for being a wise-ass to teachers and police for not obeying instructions in the middle of an ongoing classroom.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Both charges sound exactly like what an over-entitled shithead 8th grader gets for being a wise-ass to teachers and police for not obeying instructions in the middle of an ongoing classroom.
    I saw a report that this happened in the cafeteria, so unless the teacher was teaching the kids how to drink kool-aide; I don't see how this was disrupting a educational setting/classroom. Sounded like the teacher had a problem with what the shirt said (you know, that pesky 1st amendment thing) rather any kind of dress code.

RoadBikeReview Member

There may be some question as to who was the shithead. He wore the same shirt when he returned to school and there is no article so far about his once again being removed.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    I saw a report that this happened in the cafeteria, so unless the teacher was teaching the kids how to drink kool-aide; I don't see how this was disrupting a educational setting/classroom. Sounded like the teacher had a problem with what the shirt said (you know, that pesky 1st amendment thing) rather any kind of dress code.

...You realize that kids at school during the school day do not have Bill of Rights protections like adults do....don't you?

Well since you brought it up...consider this a "Teachable Moment", as we educator types call it.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...You realize that kids at school during the school day do not have Bill of Rights protections like adults do....don't you?

Well since you brought it up...consider this a "Teachable Moment", as we educator types call it.
    The confrontation took place in the cafeteria during lunch. He disrupted peanut butter and jelly time.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    There may be some question as to who was the shithead. He wore the same shirt when he returned to school and there is no article so far about his once again being removed.
    It really is quite simple who the shitheads are. The kid for being stupid enough to wear an NRA shirt to school, and thinking nothing would happen...and the parent for being as stupid as the kid for the aforesaid. Teachers have a fair bit of discretion in determining what appropriate attire is. Just because the dress code does not expressly prohibit showing up to 8th grade in nothing more than bikinis, is it an affront to kid's (not-existent) 1st amendment rights when a teacher tells them to go home and change...even though the dresscode does not expressly prohibit wearing bikinis?

All that being said. If the kid just shut up and swallowed his pride and turned the shirt inside out the first time, none of this would have happened. Mouthing off to a teacher is stupid when you're a kid...mouthing off and refusing to obey instruction from someone wearing a badge is Grade AAA+ moronic regardless of age and regardless of who is really in the ethical or legal "right".

The confrontation took place in the cafeteria during lunch. He disrupted peanut butter and jelly time.
    It doesn't matter, legally. It is a school, during hours of normal operation. And all the rules that apply in a classroom apply in lunch. That simple.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Pencil of death
    The kool aid line was funnier. And smarter.

Schools need to keep order in all of the school, not just classes.

Without facts, we're grasping at hypotheticals. But if the kid really did 'incite a riot' as the school claims - that would actually be more dangerous in the cafeteria where there are more kids on hand to riot.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    The kool aid line was funnier. And smarter.

Schools need to keep order in all of the school, not just classes.

Without facts, we're grasping at hypotheticals. But if the kid really did 'incite a riot' as the school claims - that would actually be more dangerous in the cafeteria where there are more kids on hand to riot.
    The real question here is who was right. Did the shirt violate the school dress code? If sol, what has happened to all the kids that wore the same shirt in protest? Lunch room monitor duty sometimes goes over the top. Keeping order there doesn't include starting a fight with a kid over a shirt when there was no disruption involved till you started it.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    The real question here is who was right. Did the shirt violate the school dress code? If sol, what has happened to all the kids that wore the same shirt in protest? Lunch room monitor duty sometimes goes over the top. Keeping order there doesn't include starting a fight with a kid over a shirt when there was no disruption involved till you started it.
    The "real question" is why anyone thinks this 8th grader, who clearly enjoys giving a middle finger to his elders/superiors, deserves any kind of defense for his actions.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    It really is quite simple who the shitheads are. The kid for being stupid enough to wear an NRA shirt to school, and thinking nothing would happen...and the parent for being as stupid as the kid for the aforesaid. Teachers have a fair bit of discretion in determining what appropriate attire is. Just because the dress code does not expressly prohibit showing up to 8th grade in nothing more than bikinis, is it an affront to kid's (not-existent) 1st amendment rights when a teacher tells them to go home and change...even though the dresscode does not expressly prohibit wearing bikinis?

All that being said. If the kid just shut up and swallowed his pride and turned the shirt inside out the first time, none of this would have happened. Mouthing off to a teacher is stupid when you're a kid...mouthing off and refusing to obey instruction from someone wearing a badge is Grade AAA+ moronic regardless of age and regardless of who is really in the ethical or legal "right".

It doesn't matter, legally. It is a school, during hours of normal operation. And all the rules that apply in a classroom apply in lunch. That simple.
    When I was in the 5th grade we had a lunchroom monitor that had me scared to death. He patrolled the rows of tables like a cop and kept conversation at a minimum. Violating his rules led to him taking you to a wall, having you kneel and put your nose against the wall. When I told my parents about it they told me that if it happened to me to put my nose against the wall and take my punishment but not to kneel. When it came to pass that it happened to me, that was what I did. He wasn't happy with it but accepted it once it was clear that I would not get on my knees. I was a noisy preteen, I still believe him to have been a shithead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The "real question" is why anyone thinks this 8th grader, who clearly enjoys giving a middle finger to his elders/superiors, deserves any kind of defense for his actions.
    Did his elders/superiors deserve the finger? Was the shirt a real issue or was it just a violation of the elder's sensitivity? Was there a disruption that this wise old superior was settling or did he, in all his wisdom start the disruption?

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Did his elders/superiors deserve the finger? Was the shirt a real issue or was it just a violation of the elder's sensitivity? Was there a disruption that this wise old superior was settling or did he, in all his wisdom start the disruption?
    Doesn't matter. Whether the teacher was in the right or wrong....the kid and the kid's actions in response are clearly in the wrong. And the kid's actions are what earned him a couple of felonies.

Most school dress codes use language like "appropriate attire". In the wake of Aurora and now a few months after Newtown-can it be really argued that a child, in both legal age and maturity, wearing a pro-NRA/gun shirt is inappropriate in a school? Hell, as an adult I wouldn't be stupid and crass enough to wear an NRA/gun shirt to a school and 99% of adults agree with me in term so of the attire choices. And I as an adult actually do have Bill of Rights protections to do such a stupid and crass thing as that.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

waterproof*
    I do, because we need more kids being taught to question authority.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    The lesson for the kid here is not questioning authority...the lesson for the kid here is, there will always be someone around to bail you out of your own moronic decision-making.

We need more kids with brains. The child and parents in this case are both clearly lacking.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    You're right. For all we know, he might be the next Julian Assange.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Doesn't matter. Whether the teacher was in the right or wrong....the kid and the kid's actions in response are clearly in the wrong. And the kid's actions are what earned him a couple of felonies.

Most school dress codes use language like "appropriate attire". In the wake of Aurora and now a few months after Newtown-can it be really argued that a child, in both legal age and maturity, wearing a pro-NRA/gun shirt is inappropriate in a school? Hell, as an adult I wouldn't be stupid and crass enough to wear an NRA/gun shirt to a school and 99% of adults agree with me in term so of the attire choices. And I as an adult actually do have Bill of Rights protections to do such a stupid and crass thing as that.
    Would you have found a shirt with a newtown theme and a ban guns symbol acceptable?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast