Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gazing from the shadows

Senator Specter to switch parties!

Roflmao!!!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

n00bsauce
    Good ol' Arlen. Never met a bandwagon he didn't like. (finally, a chance to use this smilie)
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Ricardo Cabeza
    what difference does it make? Both wings are attached to the same bird.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    what difference does it make?
    ????????

Specter + Franken = 60.

But I was laughing at the disarray of the Republican party. Specter kissed butt in 04 and 08, and pretty much constantly since that time. But the stimulus vote really ticked off the base, and they are going at him hard.

So he decided he'd had enough.

And I expect him to let out some pent up frustrations in the next couple years.

Thus, the LOL.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    what difference does it make? Both wings are attached to the same bird.

One wing just got a little longer and the other a little shorter? Now let's see how soon it will be until Al Franken gets seated.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco
    One wing just got a little longer and the other a little shorter? Now let's see how soon it will be until Al Franken gets seated.
    That must mean the bird flies in circles.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Not Banned

and we are another step closer

to Mitch McConnel's prediction that the GOP is en route to regionalism

Arlen - health, labor, education

not GOP strong points

say buh bye to the senatorial filibuster "up or down vote you frickin cowards!"
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    He must be part of a misguided effort to subvert the true Republican Party to be something awful and hideous and un-freaking American!
    IceMan
    The Bike Whisperer
    "It's hard to be me, I just make it look easy."

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    say buh bye to the senatorial filibuster ...
    I doubt the Ds can hold all their members on every filibuster. That was true before, true now.

But the symbolic power of 60... and the ability to push things through on at least some occasions, plus how Specter might change his tune on the judiciary committee.....

Banned forever.....or not
    There is no joy in Mudville tonight.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

banned
    disappointing.

I'd rather see him stay with the republicans and try to provide a voice of moderation.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    disappointing.

I'd rather see him stay with the republicans and try to provide a voice of moderation.

There's no room for that in the Republican Party these days... enter Mr. Club For Growth, AKA Pat Toomey.

Soon to be banned
    When you no longer identify with your political party's unAmerican ideals, what does a politician do?

I'm sure they stopped listening to Specter a long ago...
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    The Pubs have been sinking fast. If I were them I would try to open the party and make it more diverse. Instead, the Pubs are chasing people off their boat.

Good for Spector.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I am a Democrat and a lawyer and have a lot of respect for the way that Specter ran the Judiciary Committee when the Republicans had the majority and how he now interacts with Patrick Leahy. Those two seemed to be able to get past party differences (maybe not too different after all), even when the Committtee was dealing with Alberto Gonzalez. Wonder what this will do for the makeup of that Committee? I don't blame him for switching parties given how PA is leaning, but it would be a shame for the Committee to lose someone who is so competent.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo
    Roflmao!!!
    I laughed my ass off when I saw that too. Go Arlen.

Repubs don't want to listen to their moderates, threaten to 'primary' their moderates for not voting party-line every time... and then they're surprised and angry when moderates leave, judging by Michael Steele's comments??? Wow.

Wonder if the Repubs will succeed in chasing Snowe and Collins out of the party with their tremendous people-skills too.

Because, y'know, the #1 thing the GOP needs is even fewer GOP senators.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When you no longer identify with your political party's unAmerican ideals, what does a politician do?
    Resign and then re-run.

Was there a special election held to determine what the people who elected him wanted? How a politician feels personally about the direction of his/her Party is irrelevant in my book. They are there to represent their constituents. If their constituents are fed up with the Party their Senator/Representative represents and they vote for him/her to change sides, more power to them. Otherwise you serve out your turn representing the people (and policies, views, etc.) that got you there.

I understand that Senators and Reps are given great latitude to make decisions that best serve their constituents...you can't go running to a special election every time a decision needs to be made. At the same time, when the decision is something as major as changing Parties I think the citizens should have some say in the matter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by chs4
    Otherwise you serve out your turn representing the people (and policies, views, etc.) that got you there.
    Did they elect the Republican party or Arlen Specter? Is there any evidence he has changed positions?

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo
    Roflmao!!!
    Actually, I'm kind of sad. As a Democrat and supporter of President Obama, I should be jumping for joy. One of my law partners almost was dancing in the hallway about two hours ago. But, I don't think that either political party, or the political system, is served well by extremely polarized parties. It is a sad day for the Republican Party and the United States when a moderate US Senator virtually is hounded from his party because he voted for vital legislation that the President, a member of the opposite party, sought. I know that the days of Jacob Javits, Mac Mathias, Charles Percy and their compatriots are long gone. But, I still had some hope for moderation in the Republican Party so long as there were a few prominent moderate Republicans left. Now, there is one less moderate.

My regrets for the Republican Party are not without some self-interest as a Democrat. If the Republicans continue to marginalize themselves, there will be no check on the Democratic Party. Although I can live much more comfortably with the excesses of the left than the excesses of the right, if the left wing of the Democratic Party is unfettered, the Democratic Party may be successful in the short term, but its success will not be long-lived.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb
    Did they elect the Republican party or Arlen Specter? Is there any evidence he has changed positions?
    I don't think either of us knows the answer to that.

There could be many people who don't particularly care for his positions, but voted for him simply because he is (was) a Republican. There are people out there who understand how the system works and believe that, on balance, a moderate-to-left-leaning Republican is still better than a Democrat.

It remains to be seen if there will be any fallout from the folks that elected him. Maybe he polled his constituency and found that they were in favor of the switch. If so I have no issue with it. However, if there is dissension I just hope there is a process in place for the voice of the people to be heard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Until recently, I had not heard of voters of either party wanting to run up huge deficits, bail out big business that was failing because of their own stupidity, bail out irresponsible home owners, or engage is the kind of serious class warfare that we now have. When did these attitudes become the mantra of demo party voters?

I am pleased that the last thread of blame diversion has been broken and the demos are totally in charge. In four years we'll have had six years of liberal control of legislation and spending. By that time, I predict it will be clear to all but the dumbest liberals that we're heading for disaster with these absurd policies. The goose that has been laying the golden eggs (the top 25% of income earners who pay 80% of the taxes) will have been cooked. The pool of printing and taxes that had been used to support this wildly irresponsible and expanding government tit will be dry. The country should be ready for a significant government mastectomy and turn back toward personal responsibility. The damage done by the second great social experiment will end and another 30 year period of repair will begin--just like the previous one.

"El Bwana"
    Kinda funny to hear people talk about the Republicans chasing him out. In his last campaign, he was endorsed by Bush and Santorum - hardly a Republican moderate. Specter would have been out in 2004 if not for the support of these two - as well as Pennsylvania's GOP.

Specter's switch is merely political self-preservation. Specter's votes for the Stimulus Package angered a lot of Pennsylvanians. He knew he would not get out of the primary alive running against Toomey.

The Republicans have PLENTY of problems - but I don't think Specter leaving is an example of the scope of the problems.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

"El Bwana"
    Sorry for the multiple posts, but it appears that PA democrats understand. From Rep Joe Sestak, D-PA:

"This shows the principle rule of politics: tomorrow is always another day — as today was. This may be good for Arlen, politically; however, two key questions need to be answered. First, after 31 years in the military, I learned that you run for something, not against someone. Arlen has made a decision to leave a race because he could not win against someone.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RIP Funny Penguin
    His new campaign motto...

ARLEN SPECTER: BACK AND TO THE LEFT!!!

/back and to the left
    //back and to the left
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Soon to be banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chs4
    Resign and then re-run.

Was there a special election held to determine what the people who elected him wanted? How a politician feels personally about the direction of his/her Party is irrelevant in my book. They are there to represent their constituents. If their constituents are fed up with the Party their Senator/Representative represents and they vote for him/her to change sides, more power to them. Otherwise you serve out your turn representing the people (and policies, views, etc.) that got you there.

I understand that Senators and Reps are given great latitude to make decisions that best serve their constituents...you can't go running to a special election every time a decision needs to be made. At the same time, when the decision is something as major as changing Parties I think the citizens should have some say in the matter.
    Or you can pull a Lieberman... Lose the nom and run as an independent...

I'm certain he tested this with his major supporters/donors, and they agreed.
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast