Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Should we, the tax payers be paying car leases for members of the House?

News - INSIDE EDITION Investigates Congressional Cars - InsideEdition.com

Aren't the salaries we pay them to be in the House enough for them to lease a car?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    News - INSIDE EDITION Investigates Congressional Cars - InsideEdition.com

Aren't the salaries we pay them to be in the House enough for them to lease a car?
    Cars are provided to all sorts of people for use on offical business. I know if I travel on business, I insist on a car.

Some congresspeople have big districts that require lots of travel. Plus, what fund is this money coming out of? General pre-allowed expenses, Washington office expenses, home-district office expenses? Their travel allowance? Or some double-secret car-lease stash? Maybe I missed it, but I don't think the report specified.

Too many variables here. But as a practical matter, I would only have a problem with it if were used as the family car instead of a business car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When they are on official business travel to other jurisdictions other than their home area and DC... they are supposed to get a rental car (which is supposed to be a compact car... but I doubt they are getting them)....
    To be fair to congress, (and they make it really hard) Have you ever tried to get a compact from a rental place? Even if you reserve one they end up not having them. Because in crazy rental car world, a ford focus is a midsize car.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OES View Post
    Cars are provided to all sorts of people for use on offical business. I know if I travel on business, I insist on a car.

Some congresspeople have big districts that require lots of travel. Plus, what fund is this money coming out of? General pre-allowed expenses, Washington office expenses, home-district office expenses? Their travel allowance? Or some double-secret car-lease stash? Maybe I missed it, but I don't think the report specified.

Too many variables here. But as a practical matter, I would only have a problem with it if were used as the family car instead of a business car.
    When they are on official business travel to other jurisdictions other than their home area and DC... they are supposed to get a rental car (which is supposed to be a compact car... but I doubt they are getting them)....

... when we are paying the House of Reps member an annual salary of $174k... they can't afford a car themselves? One of them... we pay for the Rep's wife's lease on a car

Note...the Senate, don't allow their members to lease cars on our dime.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002

... when we are paying the House of Reps member an annual salary of $174k... they can't afford a car themselves? One of them... we pay for the Rep's wife's lease on a car

Note...the Senate, don't allow their members to lease cars on our dime.
    I see it as a more shaded question than you, but that's fine. I only answered because no one else had. I don't really care enough to have a big exchange.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    To be fair to congress, (and they make it really hard) Have you ever tried to get a compact from a rental place? Even if you reserve one they end up not having them. Because in crazy rental car world, a ford focus is a midsize car.
    I go on a lot of business trips, I always reserve a compact (employer rules) and 95% of the time I get a compact. If they cannot get me in a compact... I get the upgrade for free.

2 Business trips ago, I did get a Focus as a compact car... this was with Thrifty. My last trip, I got a Kia Soul

Hertz...they do have a tendency to uprate the categories in the cars.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Let 'em have their car lease. It's a reasonable perc. As opposed to a gold card for the local bawdy house...
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Fecal indicator
    yes, please let them have the cars...

the more time these losers spend on the road, the less time they're in chambers passing effed up legislation.
    eff all y'all...