Sir Willard Mittens Romnefeller IV esq.

Thurston Howell Romney - The New York Times

David Brooks
    September 18, 2012

In 1980, about 30 percent of Americans received some form of government benefits. Today, as Nicholas Eberstadt of the American Enterprise Institute has pointed out, about 49 percent do.

In 1960, government transfers to individuals totaled $24 billion. By 2010, that total was 100 times as large. Even after adjusting for inflation, entitlement transfers to individuals have grown by more than 700 percent over the last 50 years. This spending surge, Eberstadt notes, has increased faster under Republican administrations than Democratic ones.

There are sensible conclusions to be drawn from these facts. You could say that the entitlement state is growing at an unsustainable rate and will bankrupt the country. You could also say that America is spending way too much on health care for the elderly and way too little on young families and investments in the future.

But these are not the sensible arguments that Mitt Romney made at a fund-raiser earlier this year. Romney, who criticizes President Obama for dividing the nation, divided the nation into two groups: the makers and the moochers. Forty-seven percent of the country, he said, are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them, who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”

This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?

article continued here

RoadBikeReview Member
    From the excellent article:

There’s no way the country will trust the Republican Party to reform the welfare state if that party doesn’t have a basic commitment to provide a safety net for those who suffer for no fault of their own.

If the GOP, as demonstrated by their recent 2010-2012 obstructionist agenda, refuse to deal with the massive problems facing the nation as Brook's write, elect Democrats to take back the House now.

See bottom line below
    If you don't get an answer to your question it doesn't necessary mean you made one or that you deserve one.

off the back
    Just when I thought david Brooks had finally written a column where he doesn't come across as an ass-kissing putz, he had to throw that last paragraph in.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Surprising how that fool Romney could've spent time in France, yet never heard about the French Revolution.

Some people seem to want to make taxation some kind of morality play to justify their stack, but at the end of the day, if they find the prospect of paying taxes onerous, they should consider: Taxes are a bribe the rich pay the poor, to keep the latter from rising up and killing them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Surprising how that fool Romney could've spent time in France, yet never heard about the French Revolution.

Some people seem to want to make taxation some kind of morality play to justify their stack, but at the end of the day, if they find the prospect of paying taxes onerous, they should consider: Taxes are a bribe the rich pay the poor, to keep the latter from rising up and killing them.
    You made every lecture in Marxism 101, huh?

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Ya know, an awful lot of B-skools lump the wild-haired economics types in with us "regular" business scholars, practically rubbing our leather elbow patches together at school functions, cocktail parties, and the like.

And every damned one of 'em is a closet Marxist, except the ones who haven't ever had any history courses, and their corruptive influence is as corrosive as WD-40 on a bike chain. It's gotten where you can't even trust the Chicago Schoolers any more.

Those B-schools are just crawling with Bolsheviks, I tell you what.

Call me a Fred
    Mitt needs to quit sucking on the Federal teat. He's using Secret Service agents for protection and he's not paying them. It's the rest of the hard-working taxpayers who are subsidizing his protection.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Just when I thought david Brooks had finally written a column where he doesn't come across as an ass-kissing putz, he had to throw that last paragraph in.
    "Sure, there are some government programs that cultivate patterns of dependency in some people. I’d put federal disability payments and unemployment insurance in this category. But, as a description of America today, Romney’s comment is a country-club fantasy. It’s what self-satisfied millionaires say to each other. It reinforces every negative view people have about Romney.

Personally, I think he’s a kind, decent man who says stupid things because he is pretending to be something he is not — some sort of cartoonish government-hater. But it scarcely matters. He’s running a depressingly inept presidential campaign. Mr. Romney, your entitlement reform ideas are essential, but when will the incompetence stop?"

Brooks is part of the problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Another victim of our education system writes an article.

Perhaps one day, our teachers will teach children that congress, not presidents, is the legislative branch of government.

To be sure, I'm not holding my breath. Whenever legislation is tied to the legislative branch of government, the abject failure that is liberalism becomes apparent.

The attraction of teaching is found partially in the lack of accountability that is the cornerstone of the liberal movement. Placing blame where it belongs does not further their cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

Thurston Howell Romney - The New York Times

David Brooks
    September 18, 2012

In 1980, about 30 percent of Americans received some form of government benefits. Today, as Nicholas Eberstadt of the American Enterprise Institute has pointed out, about 49 percent do.

In 1960, government transfers to individuals totaled $24 billion. By 2010, that total was 100 times as large. Even after adjusting for inflation, entitlement transfers to individuals have grown by more than 700 percent over the last 50 years. This spending surge, Eberstadt notes, has increased faster under Republican administrations than Democratic ones.

There are sensible conclusions to be drawn from these facts. You could say that the entitlement state is growing at an unsustainable rate and will bankrupt the country. You could also say that America is spending way too much on health care for the elderly and way too little on young families and investments in the future.

But these are not the sensible arguments that Mitt Romney made at a fund-raiser earlier this year. Romney, who criticizes President Obama for dividing the nation, divided the nation into two groups: the makers and the moochers. Forty-seven percent of the country, he said, are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them, who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”

This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?

article continued here

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post

Perhaps one day, our teachers will teach children that congress, not presidents, is the legislative branch of government.

To be sure, I'm not holding my breath. Whenever legislation is tied to the legislative branch of government, the abject failure that is liberalism becomes apparent.

The attraction of teaching is found partially in the lack of accountability that is the cornerstone of the liberal movement. Placing blame where it belongs does not further their cause.
    You sure do write comedy gold. You should work for the Romney camp.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You sure do write comedy gold. You should work for the Romney camp.
    What evidence is there that you know of that makes you assume that he isn't already?

RoadBikeReview Member

You mean David Brooks, U. of Chicago class of '83? That David Brooks?

It's no Liberty University, but UC is a private school. And a pretty damned good one.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    What evidence is there that you know of that makes you assume that he isn't already?
    That's some rep.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

I am sure that's what schools teach. However, for most of middle America, they learn about government from punditry TV. So your blame is awfully misplaced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.

Romney’s comments also reveal that he has lost any sense of the social compact. In 1987, during Ronald Reagan’s second term, 62 percent of Republicans believed that the government has a responsibility to help those who can’t help themselves. Now, according to the Pew Research Center, only 40 percent of Republicans believe that.
    So according to these paragraphs, white middle class Republicans with only high school degrees are more likely to stay on the government's teat than those who are not. So, just like all the other anti-welfare hawks, they are not against entitlement programs, they are just against entitlement programs for people other than themselves.

RoadBikeReview Member

for christ's sake - stop living out your personal issues with teachers in PO...
    Last edited by bahueh; 09-18-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Not banned yet.

I see trees of green
    I have pets that are more effective politicians than Mitt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post

im not an social scientist, or anything. but i did study under a nobel prize winning one in college. and dude,

he never mocked marx. like, evar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    "Sure, there are some government programs that cultivate patterns of dependency in some people. I’d put federal disability payments and unemployment insurance in this category. But, as a description of America today, Romney’s comment is a country-club fantasy. It’s what self-satisfied millionaires say to each other. It reinforces every negative view people have about Romney.

Personally, I think he’s a kind, decent man who says stupid things because he is pretending to be something he is not — some sort of cartoonish government-hater. But it scarcely matters. He’s running a depressingly inept presidential campaign. Mr. Romney, your entitlement reform ideas are essential, but when will the incompetence stop?"

Brooks is part of the problem.

nah he's just trying to stay as relevant as he can without alienating himself from the right. did the same thing on pbs during the convention. he has to kind of hang around to comment on the one hand, but cant get too close or become too directly associated with a losing republican campaign on the other.

small potatoes

AM999's Liberal Facist
    I have pets that are more effective politicians than Mitt.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Romney’s 47% Claim Rankles Conservative Policy Wonks - TPM

Sahil Kapur
    September 18, 2012

While conservative activists are circling their wagons around Mitt Romney and encouraging to stand by his claim that the 47 percent of Americans who don’t pay federal income taxes are essentially mooching off the government, prominent policy voices on the right are dismayed by his comments — both because they’re inaccurate, and because they cut against fundamental conservative causes.

Romney argued that the 47 percent — of which three-fifths pay payroll taxes and one-fifth are seniors — represent President Obama’s core base. “The story is complicated, and it doesn’t line up well with the dependency story Romney seemed to have in mind,” wrote Reiham Salam at National Review. “As an explanation for electoral trends, though, this theory doesn’t hold up,” wrote Ramesh Ponnuru at Bloomberg View, pointing out that many low-income Americans vote Republican.

Many conservatives support programs like the Earned Income Tax Credit — which contributes to the phenomenon Romney derided — because it advances the goal of replacing welfare programs with work incentive programs. Anti-tax activists separately note that Republican presidents since Ronald Reagan have worked to grow the ranks of Americans who don’t pay federal income taxes.

“Since when has it been the job of Republicans and conservatives to make sure everyone has IRS obligations?” wrote Jim Antle at the Daily Caller. He accused Romney of “[i]gnoring the rising payroll tax burden of the last few decades while dismissing many of those who have borne it as deadbeats.”

article continued here

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo

yeah, hopefully they'll explain that "congress, not presidents, is the legislative branch."

damn schools!

(on a serious note--it's great to see one of your favorite myths [47% moocher class] being exposed for the bullshit it is)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post
    Anti-tax activists separately note that Republican presidents since Ronald Reagan have worked to grow the ranks of Americans who don’t pay federal income taxes.
    Hey, I think Romney wants to grow those ranks too, as long as the new members are really rich.