Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Snowden: whistleblower or Chinese spy?

"We are going to make sure that there’s a thorough scrub of what his China connections are,” said Mike Rogers, chair of the House intelligence committee. “We need to ask a lot more questions about his motives and his connections – where he ended up, why he is there, how is he sustaining himself while he is there and is the Chinese government fully co-operating?”
    Responding to Mr Snowden’s claim that while working at the NSA he could hack anyone’s phone or email, Mr Rogers replied said he “was lying”.
    “He clearly has overinflated his position, he has overinflated his access and he’s even overinflated what the actually technology of the programs would allow one to do,” said Mr Rogers. “It’s impossible for him to do what he was saying he could do.”
    “It seems unusual that he would be in China and asking for protection of the Chinese government and giving press conferences to the Chinese media,” said Dutch Ruppersberger, the top Democrat on the intelligence committee. “We’re going to investigate.”
    “He chose to go to China, a country that’s cyber attacking us every single day, taking billions of dollars of American business data,” Mr Ruppersberger added.
    US lawmakers question Snowden?s China ties - FT.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

I figure the Verizon order to turn over calling records on 115 million access lines speaks for itself. I try not to get misty-eyed about the motives of a guy like that.

As far as the "Chinese spy" story, remember that's being propagated by the NSA. Here is a video of Jack Clapper lying his head off in Senate testimony: Did General Clapper lie to Senator Ron Wyden? Watch this video and compare his answer to the news about the Obama Administration seizure of Verizon records « Gretawire

So your choice is to believe someone with fairly low credibility, like Snowden, or someone with negative credibility like General Clapper.

Not Banned
    gotta demonize the guy before they off him
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Chinese spy? What is Mike Rogers smoking? He is in China because odds are they won't extradite him.

What really gets me is that this guy was making 200k salary, clearly living a decent life and he threw it all away on principle. It is kind of impressive, even if I don't agree with what he did.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Banned forever.....or not
    Neither.....

Fruitcake who wants to force his country to live by his rules.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Makes you wonder

Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    What really gets me is that this guy was making 200k salary, clearly living a decent life and he threw it all away on principle.
    Nice round number, $200k. It was actually $122k according to Booz Allen. I wonder where else the leaker is "mistaken." $80k in overtime in 90 days would indeed be impressive.

The leaker worked for other consultants before cutting out on BAH, which must be why he says his anger about "government oppression" "grew and grew" after only 3 months at BAH.

The reporter exaggerates also, according to many, and apparently has a long-standing agenda.

Greenwald Stands By His NSA Reporting in Spite of Growing Questions | The Daily Banter
    Last edited by BadHabit; 06-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    C
    What really gets me is that this guy was making 200k salary, clearly living a decent life and he threw it all away on principle.
    Maybe the Chinese offered more. He's already given them detailed info on US cyberattacks on Chinese networks. That would be worth way more than $200K.

I see trees of green
    NSA admits listening to U.S. phone calls without warrants - CNET

National Security Agency discloses in secret Capitol Hill briefing that thousands of analysts can listen to domestic phone calls. That authorization appears to extend to e-mail and text messages too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no problem thinking of the guy as an American patriot..... fruitcake, idiot, whistle-blower AND.... a Chinese spy.

He doesn't fit in normal neat little boxes the way [some] people like to think about other people. Snowden's stories seem to be a blend of facts, exaggeration, fiction, and well imagined fantasy. I'd just guess he is exceptionally brilliant... and has a drug problem.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Haven't we known this for a decade? Alberto Gonzales visiting John Ashcroft in the ICU and all that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    Haven't we known this for a decade? Alberto Gonzales visiting John Ashcroft in the ICU and all that.
    No!

Actually... it may be true that GW Bush might have liked to do what the current administration has done... we don't really know. Heck... George Washington may have wanted to tape phones and read emails too. BUT.... no president before Obama served while the technology was available to do what he did.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    I remember this pretty well, hasn't been so long ago:
    Gonzales Hospital Episode Detailed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Nice round number, $200k. It was actually $122k according to Booz Allen. I wonder where else the leaker is "mistaken." $80k in overtime in 90 days would indeed be impressive.

The leaker worked for other consultants before cutting out on BAH, which must be why he says his anger about "government oppression" "grew and grew" after only 3 months at BAH.

The reporter exaggerates also, according to many, and apparently has a long-standing agenda.

Greenwald Stands By His NSA Reporting in Spite of Growing Questions | The Daily Banter
    Oh well, I hardly know what is true or false in this case any more. Thanks for the correction.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

I see trees of green
    U.S. surveillance architecture includes collection of revealing Internet, phone metadata

On March 12, 2004, acting attorney general James B. Comey and the Justice Department’s top leadership reached the brink of resignation over electronic surveillance orders that they believed to be illegal.

President George W. Bush backed down, halting secret foreign-
    intelligence-gathering operations that had crossed into domestic terrain. That morning marked the beginning of the end of STELLARWIND, the cover name for a set of four surveillance programs that brought Americans and American territory within the domain of the National Security Agency for the first time in decades. It was also a prelude to new legal structures that allowed Bush and then President Obama to reproduce each of those programs and expand their reach.

What exactly STELLARWIND did has never been disclosed in an unclassified form. Which parts of it did Comey approve? Which did he shut down? What became of the programs when the crisis passed and Comey, now Obama’s expected nominee for FBI director, returned to private life?

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    gotta demonize the guy before they off him
    He's a traitor and probably a Chinese spy; this is what Dick Cheney told me on Fox News Sunday.

Not Banned
    My thoughts as well. Isn't this really old news? What is funny is Obama is using the 'blank check' FISA warrants that Bush found to constricting

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    No!

Actually... it may be true that GW Bush might have liked to do what the current administration has done... we don't really know. Heck... George Washington may have wanted to tape phones and read emails too. BUT.... no president before Obama served while the technology was available to do what he did.
    No, Bush had the same technology and went around the FISA warrants that Obama is using. It's like folks were asleep when all this stuff was put into progress.

Not Banned
    warrantless wiretapping, warrantless data mining
    some folks think this is breaking news.....scary

I see trees of green

Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    warrantless wiretapping, warrantless data mining
    some folks think this is breaking news.....scary
    Expect a big announcement in the media by weeks's end about another insider leak coming out of the NSA about Santa Clause.

banned

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Or drama queen.

He's done what he said he intended to do; time to go away. He makes reform look bad. Open up FISA process and get back to work.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    List of countries where Snowden has requested asylum:

—Austria

—Bolivia

—Brazil

—China

—Cuba

—Ecuador

—Finland

—France

—Germany

—Iceland

—India

—Italy

—Ireland

—Netherlands

—Nicaragua

—Norway

—Poland

—Russia

—Spain

—Switzerland

—Venezuela

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Snowden released a new statement yesterday blasting the Obama administration.

Edward Snowden Blasts Obama in Newly Released Statement | Independent Journal Review

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Snowden released a new statement yesterday blasting the Obama administration.

Edward Snowden Blasts Obama in Newly Released Statement | Independent Journal Review
    We can hope that he will end up in some place where SEAL Team 6 can operate effectively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast