Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 232
  1. #1
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449

    So much for that Nobel Peace Prize

    Trump was played like a fiddle

    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/15/nort...n-reuters.html




    North Korea casts doubt on Trump summit, rejects denuclearization: Reports, citing North Korean news agency
    North Korea said it will reconsider a June 12 meeting scheduled to take place in Singapore if Washington insists on Pyongyang relinquishing its nuclear weapons.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,931
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Trump was played like a fiddle

    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/15/nort...n-reuters.html




    North Korea casts doubt on Trump summit, rejects denuclearization: Reports, citing North Korean news agency
    North Korea said it will reconsider a June 12 meeting scheduled to take place in Singapore if Washington insists on Pyongyang relinquishing its nuclear weapons.
    Trump wasn't played but Trump played his "base" like he has always been capable of.
    "Denuclearisation" of Korea could never happen as China needs to be kept in check. More so now that Trump sunk TPP in order to get elected.

  3. #3
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449
    Good choice of hiring Bolton.

    Kim Jong Un, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, made a strategic decision to put an end to the unpleasant history of the DPRK-U.S. relations and met Pompeo, U.S. secretary of state, for two times during his visit to our country and took very important and broad-minded steps for peace and stability in the Korean peninsula and the world.

    But now prior to the DPRK-U.S. summit, unbridled remarks provoking the other side of dialogue are recklessly made in the U.S. and I am totally disappointed as these constitute extremely unjust behavior.

    High-ranking officials of the White House and the Department of State including Bolton, White House national security adviser, are letting loose the assertions of so-called Libya mode of nuclear abandonment, “complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization”, “total decommissioning of nuclear weapons, missiles, biochemical weapons”. etc, while talking about formula of “abandoning nuclear weapons first, compensating afterwards”.


    This is not an expression of intention to address the issue through dialogue. It is essentially a manifestation of awfully sinister move to impose on our dignified state the destiny of Libya or Iraq which had been collapsed due to yielding the whole of their countries to big powers.

    I cannot suppress indignation at such moves of the U.S., and harbor doubt about the U.S. sincerity for improved DPRK-U.S. relations through sound dialogue and negotiations.


    We shed light on the quality of Bolton already in the past, and we do not hide our feeling of repugnance towards him.

    If the Trump administration fails to recall the lessons learned from the past when the DPRK-U.S. talks had to undergo twists and setbacks owing to the likes of Bolton and turns its ear to the advice of quasi-“patriots” who insist on Libya mode and the like, prospects of upcoming DPRK-U.S. summit and overall DPRK-U.S. relations will be crystal clear.


    We have already stated our intention for denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and made clear on several occasions that precondition for denuclearization is to put an end to anti-DPRK hostile policy and nuclear threats and blackmail of the United States.


    It is a ridiculous comedy to see that the Trump administration, claiming to take a different road from the previous administrations, still clings to the outdated policy on the DPRK – a policy pursued by previous administrations at the time when the DPRK was at the stage of nuclear development.


    If President Trump follows in the footsteps of his predecessors, he will be recorded as more tragic and unsuccessful president than his predecessors, far from his initial ambition to make unprecedented success.


    However, if the U.S. is trying to drive us into a corner to force our unilateral nuclear abandonment, we will no longer be interested in such dialogue and cannot but reconsider our proceeding to the DPRK-U.S. summit.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  4. #4
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Trump wasn't played
    You give him too much credit. He was probably already planning his rallies to show off his Peace Prize.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    9,136
    Trump just spit the dummy. He is laying on his back, kicking and screaming, "I want my Nobel Prize!!!!!"

    White House says they were "caught off guard". Seriously? Trump team caught off guard by North Korea doing what its been doing for decades?

    Despite what Trump, and his loyal followers, say he has done almost nothing on this deal. It is China's deal. Trump will now blame China and say if he was in charge NK would have given up their Nukes and started speaking English.

  6. #6
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,388
    NK really, really, really wants to meet with the POTUS. It's the end of one of their propaganda films, where getting nukes leads to that type of meeting. It is "prophecy fulfilling."

    I think this current move is aimed at torpedoing certain preconditions for such a meeting, not stopping the meeting.

    NK will never give up their nukes willingly, not before a meeting, not during, and not after. Not for Trump, not for any other POTUS, not for any world leader now or in the future.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,051
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    NK will never give up their nukes willingly, not before a meeting, not during, and not after. Not for Trump, not for any other POTUS, not for any world leader now or in the future.
    ^This.^ Kim is not stupid. He saw what happened to Gaddafi after Lybia gave up their nukes. He also saw how easily Trump turned on Iran and squashed the nuclear deal with them. And let also not forget Trump already threatened to obliterate NK. DUH!!!

    Two mad men. One clearly has more brains than the other. Can you guess which one that is???
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    23,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ^This.^ Kim is not stupid. He saw what happened to Gaddafi after Lybia gave up their nukes. He also saw how easily Trump turned on Iran and squashed the nuclear deal with them. And let also not forget Trump already threatened to obliterate NK. DUH!!!

    Two mad men. One clearly has more brains than the other. Can you guess which one that is???
    Uhh...John Bolton?

    The NK wants the US and SK to stop their military exercize off the peninsula right now, as a sign of good will before the talks. Bolton is an idiot. He seemed toned down somewhat by his new responsibilities, but that may be a lost hope. I think Trump and Pompeo could straighten him out, though. Maybe they'll leave Bolton in Washington!

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Uhh...John Bolton?

    The NK wants the US and SK to stop their military exercize off the peninsula right now, as a sign of good will before the talks. Bolton is an idiot. He seemed toned down somewhat by his new responsibilities, but that may be a lost hope. I think Trump and Pompeo could straighten him out, though. Maybe they'll leave Bolton in Washington!
    Now THAT is really funny.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,491
    Why don't they go as the three stooges?
    BANNED

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,721
    Has everyone forgotten that Ukraine gave up their nukes after Russian guarantees to honor Ukraine's territorial integrity?

    Would the Crimean annexation have happened if the Ukraine had retained their nukes?

    Everyone in the world knows that superpower promises are worthless.

    The idea that N Korea would give up their nukes is childish, simplistic and fits Trump like a glove.

  12. #12
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449

    Thumbs down

    We're not gonna be played... like a fiddle

    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    219
    Tillerson's (thinly veiled) critique of Trump's place in history:

    http://thehill.com/homenews/news/387...n-commencement

    (Not that Tillerson wasn't an a$$hole, too)

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,051
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Tillerson's (thinly veiled) critique of Trump's place in history:

    http://thehill.com/homenews/news/387...n-commencement

    (Not that Tillerson wasn't an a$$hole, too)
    While I have no love for Tillerson, he was at least one of the saner people in Trump's cabinet. Sane enough to not want to follow Trump lock step. Tillerson finally became so fed up he called Trump a "f****g moron" knowing well that would eventually get him fired.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  15. #15
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    While I have no love for Tillerson, he was at least one of the saner people in Trump's cabinet. Sane enough to not want to follow Trump lock step. Tillerson finally became so fed up he called Trump a "f****g moron" knowing well that would eventually get him fired.
    But he denied it in public.

    He gives a speech to grads about "ethics and integrity".
    Yet never publicly stood up for ethics and integrity while he was a public servant.

    And even now, and in his speech, doesn't mention "Voldemort" by name.

    Hardly a hero of "ethics and integrity".
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,051
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    But he denied it in public.

    He gives a speech to grads about "ethics and integrity".
    Yet never publicly stood up for ethics and integrity while he was a public servant.

    And even now, and in his speech, doesn't mention "Voldemort" by name.

    Hardly a hero of "ethics and integrity".
    Somehow, I can't use the words "ethics and integrity" in the same sentence as "Exxon-Mobil CEO".
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Somehow, I can't use the words "ethics and integrity" in the same sentence as "Exxon-Mobil CEO".
    Most business situations, vulture capitalists aside, look for a win win. Relationships are built and its good to keep as many in the game as possible.

    In government, especially on the national level, destroying your opposition is the preferred result.

    I find that most any 'Ethics' watchdog in government is a toothless watchdog. The entire political system in the US grounded in lies and dirty tricks.

    Want better, more ethical government?

    1. Public funding of campaigns
    2. Campaigns can only last 3 months
    3. Candidates must put in writing any promises they make

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    5,931
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    But he denied it in public.
    .
    I'm pretty sure he side stepped the question and just said Washington sucks.

  19. #19
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    I find that most any 'Ethics' watchdog in government is a toothless watchdog.
    There may be some hope.

    The Office of Government Ethics said Wednesday that President Trump should have disclosed a payment made in 2017 to his personal attorney on his financial disclosure form that same year.

    The acting director of OGE flagged the discrepancy to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in case it is "relevant to any inquiry you may be pursuing.”

    "OGE has concluded that, based on the information provided as a note to part 8, the payment made by Mr. Cohen is required to be reported as a liability," acting OGE head David Apol wrote in his letter to Rosenstein. "[Y]ou may find the disclosure relevant to any inquiry you may be pursuing regarding the President's prior report that was signed on June 14, 2017."

    "This is tantamount to a criminal referral," tweeted Walter Shaub, the former director of the OGE. "OGE has effectively reported the president to DOJ for potentially committing a crime."

  20. #20
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449
    The The Ethics in Government Act of 1978 was written specifically to target the President in the wake of Watergate.


    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  21. #21
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,388
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    The The Ethics in Government Act of 1978 was written specifically to target the President in the wake of Watergate.


    And usually in this type of thing, they file an amended disclosure form, and blame their underlings for the "mistake". And that ends it. Seen it happen many times.

    Do you have reason to believe this will be any different?
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  22. #22
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    And usually in this type of thing, they file an amended disclosure form, and blame their underlings for the "mistake". And that ends it. Seen it happen many times.
    Technically, this was the amended disclosure form. The violation would be failure to report it the year before.

    It'll be interesting to see what Rosenstein does with it. Give it to Mueller? Or a new investigator?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  23. #23
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,388
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Technically, this was the amended disclosure form. The violation would be failure to report it the year before.

    It'll be interesting to see what Rosenstein does with it. Give it to Mueller? Or a new investigator?
    Amended forms tend to fix a lot of criminal liabilities. Certainly true in campaign finance and IRS situations, to name two.

    The bigger news is the missing bank suspicious activity reports. If this can be linked to those to show a pattern, deceptions, etc, that would blow the "mistake" defense out of the water. But really, the chance of an amended disclosure by itself being much of anything in terms of criminal charges (much less convictions) is pretty close to zero.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,051
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Most business situations, vulture capitalists aside, look for a win win. Relationships are built and its good to keep as many in the game as possible.

    In government, especially on the national level, destroying your opposition is the preferred result.

    I find that most any 'Ethics' watchdog in government is a toothless watchdog. The entire political system in the US grounded in lies and dirty tricks.

    Want better, more ethical government?

    1. Public funding of campaigns
    2. Campaigns can only last 3 months
    3. Candidates must put in writing any promises they make
    This sounds all well and good, but who will pass something like this? Certainly not our Congress who has everything to gain and nothing to lose by keeping the current corrupt system.

    That is not to say we haven't had presidential elections which have been free of "funny money" 1976, 1984 and 1988 presidential campaigns were publicly funded on both sides.

    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/sh...son-va-vetting
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  25. #25
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,449
    And now the North Korean's are demanding concessions.
    Trump better get on the ball if he still wants that prize.

    North Korea Warns It Will Shelve Korean Talks Unless Concessions Are Made

    SEOUL—North Korea lashed out Thursday at South Korea, warning that it would shelve inter-Korean talks indefinitely unless Seoul made concessions on military exercises and on public criticism of the North’s attempts at dialogue.

    Slamming South Korea’s liberal Moon Jae-in administration as “an ignorant and incompetent group devoid of the elementary sense of the present situation,” the North’s latest criticism adds more uncertainty to its willingness to sustain a thaw in relations with Washington and Seoul that has led to plans for a summit meeting next month between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.


    “Unless the serious situation which led to the suspension of the North-South high-level talks is settled, it will never be easy to sit face to face again with the present regime of South Korea,” Mr. Ri said.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nobel Peace Prize: Putin nominated
    By tednugent in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM
  2. Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
    By FondriestFan in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 07:14 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 05:57 AM
  4. Nobel Peace Prize to Al Gore
    By wayneanneli in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 03:35 AM
  5. Nobel peace Prize for Environmentalism?
    By Reynolds531 in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 06:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest RoadBike Articles

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.