Motorator

Space flights.... and Apollo 18

Elon Musk on 60 Minutes - this guy is one of my idols. Not the money, lots of people make money, but the David vs. Goliath way he uses it to change the world to his visions.

He comes out with an electric roadster, the Tesla which has inspired a gigantic shift in the auto industry which in turn will cause great changes in how we use and where we get our energy.

The 60 Minutes piece highlighted another upstart company of his, Space X, which recently became the first private spacecraft to link up with the International Space Station. His vision of private companies like his own taking over the business of shuttling supplies and people into near space and returning them to earth is brilliant and exciting.

Then I watched the film Apollo 18.

What a disturbing story - it was done in a realistic format, as it was NASA footage pieced together into a documentary. No music, almost entirely set inside the spacecrafts and on the surface of the moon. It was fascinating but as I said, very disturbing.

In a nutshell, Apollo 18 was supposedly a top secret space mission sponsored by the DoD, and therefore never was officially recognized.

Without spilling the beans too much, let me just say the issue of government using people as guinea pigs and then denying it ever happened made me think that the privatization of space, as championed by people like Elon Musk, was to happen, an Apollo 18 kind of flight could never be kept secret.
    Beam me up, baby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliner View Post
    Elon Musk on 60 Minutes - this guy is one of my idols. Not the money, lots of people make money, but the David vs. Goliath way he uses it to change the world to his visions.

He comes out with an electric roadster, the Tesla which has inspired a gigantic shift in the auto industry which in turn will cause great changes in how we use and where we get our energy.

The 60 Minutes piece highlighted another upstart company of his, Space X, which recently became the first private spacecraft to link up with the International Space Station. His vision of private companies like his own taking over the business of shuttling supplies and people into near space and returning them to earth is brilliant and exciting.

What a disturbing story - it was done in a realistic format, as it was NASA footage pieced together into a documentary. No music, almost entirely set inside the spacecrafts and on the surface of the moon. It was fascinating but as I said, very disturbing.

In a nutshell, Apollo 18 was supposedly a top secret space mission sponsored by the DoD, and therefore never was officially recognized.

Without spilling the beans too much, let me just say the issue of government using people as guinea pigs and then denying it ever happened made me think that the privatization of space, as championed by people like Elon Musk, was to happen, an Apollo 18 kind of flight could never be kept secret.

Hasn't been alleged we were warned to stay away from the moon and why we never went back?
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

Call me a Fred
    The Saturn 5 rocket was huge. Launching one of those would have been seen by lots of civilians.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Maximum Gluteus
    The Apollo (and Mercury and Gemini) program depended on private contractors to build and launch the hardware. A clandestine "Apollo 18" flight would have involved just as many private sector scientists and engineers as a "public" flight. Plus, launching one of those bad boys is hard to hide - there are only one or two places where you can do that in the US. More to the point, it didn't happen. A Saturn 5 launch would not have gone unnoticed.... Indeed, the comings and goings of the current "top secret" space stuff - the X-37B space plane - is public knowledge given the fact that, again, the comings and goings of a rocket launch and recovery are hard to hide.

Frankly, the reason that we never went back to the moon was because of the Nazis. A little issue of a moon base that they established there right after the war.

Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor View Post
    Frankly, the reason that we never went back to the moon was because of the Nazis. A little issue of a moon base that they established there right after the war.
    Ah yes they already made that movie too

Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

We're All Going To Die!!!

A TV show, a Sci-fi movie, Elon Musk, Space X and?

Apollo 18 is a 2011 American science fiction horror film written by Brian Miller, directed by Gonzalo López-Gallego, and produced by Timur Bekmambetov and Ron Schmidt. The film's premise is that the canceled Apollo 18 mission actually landed on the moon in December 1974 but never returned, and as a result the United States has never launched another expedition to the Moon. The film is shot in found-footage style, supposedly the lost footage of the Apollo 18 mission that was only recently discovered. After various release date changes, the film was released in the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada on September 2, 2011; however, the release dates for other territories vary.
    Is this thread supposed to be like Seinfeld episode?

RoadBikeReview Member
    you think privatization someone decreases the level of secrecy? really? how does one come to that conclusion? because the private sector has such a stellar history of transparence?

We're All Going To Die!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    you think privatization someone decreases the level of secrecy? really? how does one come to that conclusion? because the private sector has such a stellar history of transparence?

BofA masked Merrill loss before 2008 vote -filings - Reuters