RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

The Spanish Civil War "Abraham Lincoln" Brigade.

Hello, as a military history enthusiast one of the conflicts I am particularly interested in is the above.
    That including the "International Brigades" and the part those brave fellows and womens involvement in.
    Living in Europe ( South Western France) I am but 2 hours journey into Spain.
    Therfore have visited many of the area's of conflict .
    Now please help ,the U.S.A had a unit named the "Abraham Lincoln"brigade /battalion.
    They of course along with other brave idealists fought bravelyfor the Republican cause.
    The U.S. beeing a long distance how did the American combatants aford to get to Spain ?
    I am sure that money for travel was a great problem (not long after the depression) and most of the individuals were not wealthy.
    I have various family members who took part and some lost their lives but they having no Ocean to cross, walked,hitched or used public transport when available or affordable to reach Spain..
    I invite and look forward to possible correspondences.

Yours

Doug. Henri
    Last edited by Doug.; 07-19-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Bad Spelling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug. View Post
    The U.S. beeing a long distance how did the American combatants aford to get to Spain ?
    They took one step and came up for air. Took another step and came up for air. But in all seriousness, they were mercenaries. Some made it by whatever means such as signing up as a crewman on a ship heading to Europe. Others were recruited/bankrolled by wealthy individuals/corporations. Some may have been bankrolled by the then government of Spain like the AVG Group in China.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Many received funding/support from the IWW (The 'Wobblies') and other anti-Fascist organizations. Sixteen alleged Communist Party members were indicted by Roosevelt's Attorney General for allegedly recruiting volunteers to fight against the Fascist in Spain (which gives a sense of our nation's priorities at the time).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    Which was neutrality. We learned in WWI that you can't claim to be neutral while you allow private citizens and corporations to pick sides. Now at the time I would have been a Hawk myself...still the policy of the US was Neutrality and a Gov't that does not enforce it's policies is no Gov't at all.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    Many received funding/support from the IWW (The 'Wobblies') and other anti-Fascist organizations. Sixteen alleged Communist Party members were indicted by Roosevelt's Attorney General for allegedly recruiting volunteers to fight against the Fascist in Spain (which gives a sense of our nation's priorities at the time).
    At the time and for decades to come. As the city on the hill we spent the 50s, 60s and 70s preaching democracy and civil liberties to the world, while openly supporting Franco and his ilk. Still today one hears pining for our former glory days of world leadership, but no one mentions what that actually entailed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badge118 View Post
    Which was neutrality. We learned in WWI that you can't claim to be neutral while you allow private citizens and corporations to pick sides. Now at the time I would have been a Hawk myself...still the policy of the US was Neutrality and a Gov't that does not enforce it's policies is no Gov't at all.
    Which is why William Randolph Hearst, Joseph Kennedy (JFK's father), Charles Lindbergh, John Rockefeller, Andrew Mellon (head of Alcoa, banker, and Secretary of Treasury), DuPont, General Motors, Standard Oil (now Exxon), Ford, ITT, Allen Dulles (later head of the CIA), Prescott Bush, National City Bank, and General Electric, were all indicted as well? I guess I somehow missed that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    There is a difference between talking and writing about it AND doing things in secret in the back ground. Yeah with history we know that Kennedy even ran booze for mobsters for gods sake BUT unlike the people arrested he was not out on the streets in full view of the public recruiting.

Look at it like boot legging itself. We now know that Kennedy help get booze in the country for distribution to organized crime. However at the time it was in the back ground and he was highly insulated. Now the guys on the street had their trucks stopped, speakeasys raided etc. but those behind the scenes managed to avoid detection.

Same thing here in large part. The fact they were communists likely didn't help there case BUT you are trying to equate the arrest of a street dealer with the avoiding arrest of the people behind the scenes and/or had buffers between them and direct action. Welcome to over 200 years of American Criminal Justice?
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt