Scary Teddy Bear

Still one big question about Romney's taxes....

2011 doesn't cut it.

Let's get this clear. I DO NOT CARE how much money Mitt Romney made, NOR do I care that he paid the capital gains rate. Neither of those concern me. Beverly hits on the ONE question that I have about Mitt's tax returns. There is only one......

A Couple of Questions for Romney Trustee Brad Malt and Former-IRS-Commissioner-cum-Romney-Testimonial-Provider Fred Goldberg | Angry Bear - Financial and Economic Commentary

In addition to the 2011 return, he released his average effective tax rate......

Between 1990 and 2009, the Romneys’ average annual effective federal tax rate was 20.2 percent, according to [notarized tax return summaries by Romney trustee Brad] Malt. The lowest effective federal personal tax rate they paid in that period was 13.66 percent, he said.

Over the same 20-year period, the couple gave an average of 13.45 percent of their adjusted gross income to charity.

Fred Goldberg, a former commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service, said in a statement released by Romney’s campaign that the couple “fully satisfied their responsibilities as taxpayers.”

“These returns reflect the complexity of our tax laws and the types of investment activity that I would anticipate for persons in their circumstances,” Goldberg said in the statement. “There is no indication or suggestion of any tax-motivated or aggressive tax planning activities.”

SOMETHING is missing.

Malt, by the way, was the trustee of the UBS account that was disclosed in the tax return for 2010. The tax return indicated that Malt had closed the account in early 2010....this is important.

Fred Goldberg, a former commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service, said in a statement released by Romney’s campaign that the couple fully satisfied their responsibilities as taxpayers? That’s good to know, but the question remains: When, exactly, did they satisfy their responsibilities as taxpayers for the years preceding the 2009 IRS amnesty program for anonymous holders of Swiss (and other foreign) bank account holders? Might it have been retroactively, like, maybe, in 2009?

This is an important question. If he was truly, with full knowledge evading taxes before 2009 using a Swiss account, well then that is something that the US people should know about. Tax evasion is kind of a big deal for politicians....Just ask Tom Daschle.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    this is only going to get worse for Mittens...
    Not banned yet.

haole from the mainland
    Tax evasion/amnesty was my guess for why he won't release his tax returns.

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    this is only going to get worse for Mittens...
    Well, to be fair to him...we don't know. He may well be innocent of anything like that.

Somewhat ironic however that he closed his UBS account one year after the IRS amnesty program ended. It raises some red flags for me.

He might have been fully compliant and innocent of any such charges......but he needs to release those returns.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    After viewing the "47% fundraiser" video, who's needs to evaluate Romney's tax return to understand the man's character.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

John Kenneth Galbraith

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Mitt had to weigh some serious choices when he decided not to release his returns.

It's pretty clear at this point that he has things to hide. Interestingly, he asked potential VP choices for 10 years of returns, a standard that he himself could not satisfy.

Romney is a joke candidate. He's likely the worst candidate the GOP could have picked. He wants to be president so badly, he'll do or say anything.

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    After viewing the "47% fundraiser" video, who's needs to evaluate Romney's tax return to understand the man's character.
    Agreed, but there's an order of magnitude difference between being an uncaring jerk in a video and possibly being a convicted tax dodger.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Agreed, but there's an order of magnitude difference between being an uncaring jerk in a video and possibly being a convicted tax dodger.
    Uncaring Jerk?

I witnessed a full disclosure of his disdaining view of the people of this country; his calculated means to further divide the nation with more class warfare policies; the manifestation of dangerous elitism; the enactment of his true self v. his control/stiff/public campaigning one; and a group of individuals silently nodding their collective heads before taking out their checkbooks.

I agree his tax returns may well contain illegalities, but it is his character and judgement that drives his decisions that most trouble me.

Governor Rick Perry said a Texas mouthful during the primaries about Mitt when he uttered "vulture capitalist."
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”

John Kenneth Galbraith

stop attacking Mitt's success!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Still one big question about Romney's taxes....-1.png  

- I -
    Amnesty? Damn, I missed a tax dodge opportunity!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Uncaring Jerk?

I witnessed a full disclosure of his disdaining view of the people of this country; his calculated means to further divide the nation with more class warfare policies; the manifestation of dangerous elitism; the enactment of his true self v. his control/stiff/public campaigning one; and a group of individuals silently nodding their collective heads before taking out their checkbooks.

I agree his tax returns may well contain illegalities, but it is his character and judgement that drives his decisions that most trouble me.

Governor Rick Perry said a Texas mouthful during the primaries about Mitt when he uttered "vulture capitalist."
    This is EXACTLY why I can't vote for Mittens.
    Smokey

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst View Post

Over the same 20-year period, the couple gave an average of 13.45 percent of their adjusted gross income to charity.
    The Romney campaign has been rounding this to 30 percent.

Has the guy ever talked straight? Example?
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tax evasion is kind of a big deal for politicians....Just ask Tom Daschle.
    Why not ask Charlie Rangel instead?
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Isn't giving to charity which earns a tax exemption government funded redistribution of wealth? I don't see the difference other than you can choose who gets your money. Redistribution is redistribution.
    Edit Signature here---------->

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam View Post
    Why not ask Charlie Rangel instead?
    Wesley Snipes will never run for president either.
    Edit Signature here---------->

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Well, to be fair to him...we don't know. He may well be innocent of anything like that.

Somewhat ironic however that he closed his UBS account one year after the IRS amnesty program ended. It raises some red flags for me.

He might have been fully compliant and innocent of any such charges......but he needs to release those returns.
    Your diligence and integrity in raising red flags is authenticated by the way you've pursued questions about both candidates.

How is it that nobody who has even been within sight of reality suggested for a second that the release of any amount of information would stop the pablum spewers from spewing.

This site has degenerated into a bunch of political 1st graders attempting to defend their religious zeal for a loser with no defensible track record beyond speaking real purdy (like all snake oil salesmen).

Not Banned

Physs I agree

I think he 'repatriated' some dough (probably quite a bit) under the tax amnesty program
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Your diligence and integrity in raising red flags is authenticated by the way you've pursued questions about both candidates.

How is it that nobody who has even been within sight of reality suggested for a second that the release of any amount of information would stop the pablum spewers from spewing.

This site has degenerated into a bunch of political 1st graders attempting to defend their religious zeal for a loser with no defensible track record beyond speaking real purdy (like all snake oil salesmen).
    feel free to leave the forum permanently at any given time.

seems you're lacking a little defensible argument here as well...
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post

LOL... Sometimes the use of a word gets amazingly tired and trite.. and pablum by SS is one of those words..