Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Daily Commuter

TAX BICYCLES?: Republican Rep wants to due to green house gases

What a douchebag...

A Washington State Representative who serves as a ranking republican on the State Transportation Committee may be an unlikely proponent of a tax that would require everyone who buys a bike for more than $500 to pay a $25 fee.

Email from Wash. rep. drawing ire from NW bike community | kgw.com Portland

http://images.bimedia.net/images/emailOrcutt.JPG

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    It appears libs like taxes until they have to pay them...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy fack, a politician would actually put that in writing With that argument, joggers & pedestrians should be paying for their use of sidewalks and park paths AND especially if they jog on the roads. Maybe a 25 dollar tax on all shoes over $25.00.

I'm not familiar with the US tax systems, but here in in Canada, it is your land tax that pays for maintenance of the municipal roads, pathways, etc., gas tax pays for provincial highways.

What a backwards way of thinking.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Daily Commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue CheeseHead View Post
    I have no problem with taxes, but this kind of moronic legislation just blows me away.

DBT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    No, it's that libs (and cons) already pay taxes for this purpose. I am sure you already knew that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Republican Rep wants to tax bicycles due to green house gases

Another example of our rush towards becoming an idiocracy.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    If passed, this may prove detrimental to bike shops around the state. There will no doubt be a lot of consumers trying to circumvent this extra $25, so we may see a lot more people buying their bikes online where the law would be difficult to enforce.

Fecal indicator
    it's a shame we can't tax people who make stupid statements...
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds maybe like yet another pol touting his clear lack of background in science and/or critical thinking in order to pander to those (I'm guessing) he presumes is his similarly thought-challenged base?
    Bill

“You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing...We can make the best or the worst of it."

Big is relative
    WA State wants to tax hybrid cars $100 a year due to decreased revenue from gas taxes. This new tax on bikes hasn't been fully justified. With the cycling community in WA, I'm sure it will get killed off.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    WA State wants to tax hybrid cars $100 a year due to decreased revenue from gas taxes. This new tax on bikes hasn't been fully justified. With the cycling community in WA, I'm sure it will get killed off.
    At the height of the drought here last summer our city imposed serious water restrictions. Revenues fell so they gave us a huge price increase because we used less water. This fall, after trees and lawns were beyond redemption, they relaxed the restrictions somewhat. Price is still up.

This bicycle thing is just a matter of whose ox is getting gored. It's a stupid proposal but not any more stupid than some of the proposals we have been arguing about in the contentious threads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not getting the dollar value of the bike associated with the proposal? In this guys mind, do cheaper bikes "pollute" less?
    Bill

“You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing...We can make the best or the worst of it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf411 View Post
    What a douchebag...

A Washington State Representative who serves as a ranking republican on the State Transportation Committee may be an unlikely proponent of a tax that would require everyone who buys a bike for more than $500 to pay a $25 fee.

So what do you call a person that posts only part of the story and makes it misleading? If you read the email, he is using the the same old class warfare argument. Car owners pay for maintaining roads including bike lanes through taxes and cyclists don't. Yep, there isn't a single cyclist on the face of the planet that doesn't also owns a car. F*cking idiotic argument but isn't that what politician do? Make everything based on some kind of class warfare? "It's not fare. They are not paying their fare share". Where have I heard that one before?

All this is a money grab from cyclists to help maintain the roads. Later in his email he; he does go on about the idiotic statement about cyclists polluting as the go because of increased heart rate and respiration. This is what happens when you legalize pot. You get people who think like this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwl325 View Post
    I'm not getting the dollar value of the bike associated with the proposal? In this guys mind, do cheaper bikes "pollute" less?
    He's playing on the Democratic Party propensity to sock it to the rich. Sort of a bipartisan effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought maybe that was it.

So the guy's apparently as politically unaware as he is scientifically uninformed?
    Bill

Moderatus Puisne
    As a former Washingtonian, this has been circlulating among the cycling community there. This kind of shoot-from-the-hip proposal -- usually some version of "bicycles don't pay their fair share!" -- comes up every couple of years. Thankfully most people from both sides of the aisle realise this isn't that great of an idea.

The amount that one could effectively raise from tax bicycles would likely be less than the cost of administering such a program, and, the external benefits of cycling are so high, I think it'd be a beggary thyself situation.

But, to take the "more CO2 from breathing" argument on its face -- wow. Does anyone know what the CO2 footprint per mile of a PERSON is?

I'd have to find a Real Scientist to run the numbers, but let's presume that each cyclist, using more CO2 as they breathe while the ride for pure enjoyment, exercise, etc, replaces a single car trip per month, of only 2 miles each way, with cycling.

My similarly off-the-cuff guess is that this one twenty minute replacement trip would make up for the extra CO2 from BREATHING many times over, and that is presuming the rider would otherwise sit on the couch and do no other exercise.

Funny stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You mention "science"...I'm guessing that term alone will confuse the living crap out of the proponent(s)...
    Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwl325 View Post
    I thought maybe that was it.

So the guy's apparently as politically unaware as he is scientifically uninformed?
    Politicians don't have to be scientifically correct, they just have to sound good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Politicians don't have to be scientifically correct, they just have to sound good.
    ^^Roger that.
    Bill

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Let's not forget how much carbon we're preventing from being released into the atmosphere by gluing it together for our bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Did you miss this part "The $25 bike fee in question was announced by House Democrats two weeks ago as part of an overall package that would raise a reported $9.8 billion over the next decade."
    I have no problem with taxes, but this kind of moronic legislation just blows me away.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I see trees of green
    What a douchebag...

I'd have no problem with that if it demonstrably returned something specifically beneficial to cyclists.

I see trees of green
    Right because there isn't a typical state sales tax applied already.

The additional amount is fine as long as provides for more demonstrably (fantastically) beneficial infrastructure and services to cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    I'd have no problem with that if it demonstrably returned something specifically beneficial to cyclists.
    I think it's designed to pay for what you already have, not for some intensive cycling improvement program. There are already sales taxes on items you don't hold quite so dear as well.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast