Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Thank you President Trump for bringing home Otto

Otto's father states that President Obama told them to keep a low profile and nothing got done. The family then made a plea to President Trump and things got done.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Euna Leem, Laura Ling, Robert Park, Aijalon Gomes, Eddie Yong Su, Kenneth Bae, Merrill Newman, Matthew Miller, Jeffrey Fowle, Arturo Pierre Martinez , & Sandra Suh were all freed from North Korea during the Obama administration.

Surely... Obama didn't care about Otto Warmbier, he liked all those other detainees better. Or just maybe... North Korea used him as a political pawn during a presidential transition.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post

Otto's father states that President Obama told them to keep a low profile and nothing got done. The family then made a plea to President Trump and things got done.
    One of former President Barack Obama's advisers says the Obama administration had "no higher priority" than securing the release of Americans detained overseas but North Korea's isolation "posed unique challenges." Ned Price says the Democratic president's administration "worked through every avenue available" to try to secure the release of University of Virginia student Otto Warmbier.

Warmbier was released from a North Korean prison and returned home to suburban Cincinnati on Tuesday in a coma. Doctors say he has severe injury to all regions of his brain. Price said Thursday the Obama administration's efforts secured the release of at least 10 other Americans from North Korea. He says efforts to get Warmbier home never ceased. He says the administration is heartened Warmbier has been reunited with his family.

You know what would be nice? If both sides got down to doing the business of governing and what is best for the country, rather than denouncing everything the other party does just because it's the other party. Both parties do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    POLTICAL GRANDSTANDING ASIDE - I thank Trump for doing this --- and thank Obama for his efforts as well.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.... don't tell us what your govt should be doing when you yourself can't go one day without pointing fingers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no doubt the Obama admin. made every effort and it's possible that changing situations may have made it possible. I wonder how long that boy has been in a coma and if that may have been why the were so reluctant to releasing him.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    I have no doubt the Obama admin. made every effort and it's possible that changing situations may have made it possible. I wonder how long that boy has been in a coma and if that may have been why the were so reluctant to releasing him.
    According to medical records from North Korea, he's been that way since one month after his conviction.

My guess is they beat the snot out of him on day one and threw him in a cell. Only to realize afterwards they went a bit too far in their beating. Then were afraid of him dying in prison so let him go.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    According to medical records from North Korea, he's been that way since one month after his conviction.

My guess is they beat the snot out of him on day one and threw him in a cell. Only to realize afterwards they went a bit too far in their beating. Then were afraid of him dying in prison so let him go.
    Yea...reads less like coma and more like brain damage. Poor kid and family

RoadBikeReview Member

I read that the brain damage was like he would get from oxygen deprivation. Waterboarding gone wrong?

I have no idea what prompts anyone in their right mind to go to that miserable pile of rocks.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I read that the brain damage was like he would get from oxygen deprivation. Waterboarding gone wrong?

I have no idea what prompts anyone in their right mind to go to that miserable pile of rocks.
    Dystopic tourism is a real thing. Also that part of the world has some stunningly beautiful geography from what I can read online... Unfortunately it is located in a hell hole of a country

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm. I just read this..
    There’s no evidence of how Wambier was injured, but the brain damage looks like what happens when someone’s heart stops for a long period of time.
    "Pattern of this brain injury is usually seen as a result of cardiopulmonary arrest resulting in the death of brain tissue," .

You may be right.
    Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation

Yea me either. Think I'd rather play russian roulette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Euna Leem, Laura Ling, Robert Park, Aijalon Gomes, Eddie Yong Su, Kenneth Bae, Merrill Newman, Matthew Miller, Jeffrey Fowle, Arturo Pierre Martinez , & Sandra Suh were all freed from North Korea during the Obama administration.

Surely... Obama didn't care about Otto Warmbier, he liked all those other detainees better. Or just maybe... North Korea used him as a political pawn during a presidential transition.
    Who knows. But the father of Otto thinks that Trump was the man of action as any parent would think when a President gets their child released.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member

I don't know either. It's such a risk that NOTHING is important enough to step even close to that border.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    One of former President Barack Obama's advisers says the Obama administration had "no higher priority" than securing the release of Americans detained overseas but North Korea's isolation "posed unique challenges." Ned Price says the Democratic president's administration "worked through every avenue available" to try to secure the release of University of Virginia student Otto Warmbier.

Warmbier was released from a North Korean prison and returned home to suburban Cincinnati on Tuesday in a coma. Doctors say he has severe injury to all regions of his brain. Price said Thursday the Obama administration's efforts secured the release of at least 10 other Americans from North Korea. He says efforts to get Warmbier home never ceased. He says the administration is heartened Warmbier has been reunited with his family.
    What does that quote have to do with anything in this thread?

You know what would be nice? If both sides got down to doing the business of governing and what is best for the country, rather than denouncing everything the other party does just because it's the other party. Both parties do it.

Opus was just napping
    Hmmm. I just read this..
    There’s no evidence of how Wambier was injured, but the brain damage looks like what happens when someone’s heart stops for a long period of time.
    "Pattern of this brain injury is usually seen as a result of cardiopulmonary arrest resulting in the death of brain tissue," .

You may be right.
    Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation

Sounds humane enough I can see why there are people in government and even some posters on this board that look forward to the US pursuing this "enhanced interrogation" technique sometime soon. I mean who would describe those effects as torture...more like day care amirite?
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    POLTICAL GRANDSTANDING ASIDE - I thank Trump for doing this --- and thank Obama for his efforts as well.
    Nice post. I am so happy for his family, it must have been absolutely horrible for them and for any other family who has relatives locked up there.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Who knows. But the father of Otto thinks that Trump was the man of action as any parent would think when a President gets their child released.
    Lol. Man of action indeed.

Has The Donald The Man Of Action even bothered to nominate ambassadors to that part of the world yet? I'll guess not.

The kid's release speaks more about DPRK than it does about Trump

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice post. I am so happy for his family, it must have been absolutely horrible for them and for any other family who has relatives locked up there.
    There's still 3 American's being held in North Korea. (And a Canadian)
    Why didn't Trump get them out too? I'm sure it's horrible for their families.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's still 3 American's being held in North Korea. (And a Canadian)
    Why didn't Trump get them out too? I'm sure it's horrible for their families.
    Ask Trump or Jong, not me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Lol. Man of action indeed.

Has The Donald The Man Of Action even bothered to nominate ambassadors to that part of the world yet? I'll guess not.

The kid's release speaks more about DPRK than it does about Trump
    If I remember correctly the USA has no ambassador with NK and USA does not have diplomatic ties with them. Often times the USA has to go threw China or Sweden.

Fecal indicator
    stating 'nothing got done' by the Obama admin is a cheap shot...

does the family really think that there were no governmental efforts made prior to Trump taking office to achieve a release of their relative?

please...don't insult our intelligence with that kind of political hack job.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    stating 'nothing got done' by the Obama admin is a cheap shot...

does the family really think that there were no governmental efforts made prior to Trump taking office to achieve a release of their relative?

please...don't insult our intelligence with that kind of political hack job.
    Perhaps so. But if you were that father and the only thing you were told by the Obama administration is to keep quiet about it, wouldn't you also believe that Obama did nothing? That is the father's reality.

BTW, the Obama gov't never even contacted Otto's roommate to find out what had happened during the trip:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.09477d3996bb

When Danny Gratton met Otto Warmbier in Beijing in late December 2015, they were on their first day of a tour to North Korea that only one of them would successfully complete. On the tour’s last day, Gratton was the only Westerner to see Warmbier detained by North Korean security services, the beginning of an 18-month ordeal for the 21-year-old American student, who finally returned to the United States in a coma this week.

Until now, Gratton has not spoken publicly about the case. He was never contacted by the U.S. government or the tour company that arranged the visit. His recollections form a part of the story that speaks to Warmbier’s innocence and further undermines the North Korean government’s version of events. His message is that Warmbier was an innocent victim of a cruel and evil regime and did nothing to warrant his sad fate.
    It goes on to state:

Gratton has stayed in contact intermittently with Warmbier’s parents over the past year-and-a-half. He said he was “stunned” nobody from the U.S. government or the tour group ever tried to contact him to ask him if he had any information about what happened.
    I can certainly understand Otto's father stating what he did about the Obama's admin. I'm pretty sure all parents would be feeling the same way.

xxl
    Hmmm. I just read this..

You may be right.

But it works!

'Would I approve waterboarding? You bet your ass I would — in a heartbeat,' Trump said as the crowd cheered. 'And I would approve more than that. Don't kid yourself, folks. It works, okay? It works. Only a stupid person would say it doesn't work.'

Trump repeated 'It works' multiple times.

'Believe me, it works,' he told the Columbus crowd. 'And you know what? If it doesn't work, they deserve it anyway, for what they're doing. It works.'

Surf's up! Grab your boards!
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What does that quote have to do with anything in this thread?
    That quote? There were two. The first quote was a contradiction to your initial post saying that the Obama administration did nothing wrt this prisoner. The second quote was making fun of your idea that politicians should stop denouncing the other party & yet you can't help yourself from doing the same thing. If you don't like the partisan political environment lead by example, otherwise you just look foolish.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps so. But if you were that father and the only thing you were told by the Obama administration is to keep quiet about it, wouldn't you also believe that Obama did nothing? That is the father's reality.
    Do you have something to substantiate that claim? Other than the words of an angry grieving father?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast