Sooper Dooper Moderator!

They're Gettin' Rid of Limbo!

The Catholic church is reassessing the concept of limbo in order to bolster their anti-abortion stance.

From the Los Angeles Times:

ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION to what's been happening to hell in recent years has surely realized that limbo was not long for this world — or the next one. Limbo is the nether region where, according to Roman Catholic tradition, unbaptized babies go after death. It's a pleasant enough place, though devoid of the bliss of God's presence. But now its future is in peril.

A group of Vatican theological advisors signaled after a recent meeting that they would recommend eliminating the concept of limbo. Pope Benedict XVI is expected to agree, meaning unbaptized babies would go to heaven instead.

{snip}

Sending unblessed infants to heaven also lends gravitas to the church's position on abortion, allowing a fetus to be accepted into the presence of God.

Hey, didn't all this stuff come down from God or somethin'? How can man revise God's word?

Or was it man's word in the first place?

Here's the article.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Why try to make sense of the nonsensical? There are better things to do with your time.
    Like watching women's curling. I'm STILL pitching a tent.
    First Things First

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I remember reading something similar not too long ago; I think they got rid of pergatory (sp?)

The mormons (the second m should be silent in that word) changed their doctrine in the 1970s; being Black was not the sign of being marked by the devil anymore. That came by way of divine revalation to their prophet.
    First Things First

Self-Banned
    Why try to make sense of the nonsensical? There are better things to do with your time.

Like getting involved in a kpcw, Live Steam, Flip or money claptrap... I mean thread?

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    Hey, didn't all this stuff come down from God or somethin'? How can man revise God's word?

Or was it man's word in the first place?

supervillain

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    People,I thought the word of God was supposed to mean somethin'!

Of course everything I know about the that sort of stuff I learned from the neighborhood kids trying to convert me and my brother when we were like 8 years old.

That and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Go Blue

I guess we didn't have to baptize the dog

Among the many warped things that my 1960s Catholic school education inspired was my sister's and my baptizing our dog (I was about 9, my sister was about 6). We did not want the dog to go to Limbo. My grandmother found out about the event (we dressed the dog in sister's baptism gown; my grandmother wanted to know why this garment that had been preserved for the ages was wet and on the floor). My grandmother threw a fit -- she accused us of sacrilege and came pretty close to suggesting that my mother should take us to a priest to be exorcized or something like that.

In any event, I always thought that Limbo was an OK place. I used to worry a lot more about Purgatory. My same grandmother never said that my sister and I were going to Hell. But, she clearly thought that we were going to spend a very long time in Purgatory.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Motorator
    Limbo? That's a place? Sounds like somewhere Rush would hang out. So now does it mean he's going to Hell-oh!??

AM999's Liberal Facist
    People,I thought the word of God was supposed to mean somethin'!

Of course everything I know about the that sort of stuff I learned from the neighborhood kids trying to convert me and my brother when we were like 8 years old.

That and Jesus Christ Superstar.
    ..and The Me@ning of Life ;)
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Sticky Valentine
    This stuff just makes me smile

It's good to know that doctrines can just change with the political winds. I'm happy I live in such a rational world.

As a former Catholic, do I have room to call them jackasses?

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Soon to be banned
    Damn, and I thought Rush was gettin' wacked for being a low-life scumbag druggie...
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

12 strings, no waiting
    By now Limbo has to be pretty full, or close to it, so it's not that big a deal. Who wants to be around all those crying babies anyway?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    At Vatican II (according to Gary Wills' "Papal Sin") the experts debating whether to loosen up the rules against contraception faced a similar issue:

The more this discipline was enforced, the more impossible it became to consider reversing the grounds on which it had been imposed. How could the church, after over a century of insistence on this particular discipline, confess that it had got things wrong? As a priest would say when experts were brought to Rome to consider the matter during the Second Vatican Council, "What then with the millions we have sent to hell if these norms were not valid?" Another priest, who would have a great deal to do with the encyclical Humanae Vitae, said that if the church reversed itself now, it would prove that the Holy Spirit had been with the Anglicans at Lambeth, not with the Pope in Rome. That was an admission Rome could not make.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    By now Limbo has to be pretty full, or close to it, so it's not that big a deal. Who wants to be around all those crying babies anyway?
    Now this brings up the question of what's going to happen to everybody that was in limbo. I mean do they go to heaven or do they go to hell? Say you had an infant that passed away 5-10 years ago before getting baptized and you were hoping to meet up with the little tyke in the afterlife - now what happens?

You know, getting rid of limbo and purgatory is polarizing the afterlife. It brings a "you're either with us or against us" mentality to dieing.

Go Blue

Visitation rights

Now this brings up the question of what's going to happen to everybody that was in limbo. I mean do they go to heaven or do they go to hell? Say you had an infant that passed away 5-10 years ago before getting baptized and you were hoping to meet up with the little tyke in the afterlife - now what happens?

You know, getting rid of limbo and purgatory is polarizing the afterlife. It brings a "you're either with us or against us" mentality to dieing.
    One thing that never was clear to me was whether people in heaven could visit people in the other places -- limbo, purgatory and/or hell. After all, those of us who are not incarcerated can visit people in prison. I am a firm believer in the utility of both limbo and purgatory. Insofar as limbo is concerned, you really don't want the innocent to suffer. But, by the same token, you can't let people into the club (i.e., heaven) if they don't pay the initiation fee (i.e., baptism). Insofar as purgatory is concerned, getting rid of it is exactly as you state -- polarizing. Many people are not saints, but just because they are not saints does not mean that they should go to hell. The thing that I like about the traditional Catholic Church, as opposed to evangelical Christian churches, is that even if you are bad (but not too bad) you can get to heaven eventually -- you just have to spend some time in purgatory.

I have another question: During my Catholic school years, I spent many hours praying for the poor souls in purgatory. My grandmother used to personalize the whole thing: my grandfather had died just before I was born and she always was admonishing me to pray that my grandfather would get out of purgatory soon (although my mother likened her father to a saint, my grandmother seemed to be sure that he was in purgatory). If there is no purgatory, what happened to all of my prayers?
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    I have another question: During my Catholic school years, I spent many hours praying for the poor souls in purgatory. My grandmother used to personalize the whole thing: my grandfather had died just before I was born and she always was admonishing me to pray that my grandfather would get out of purgatory soon (although my mother likened her father to a saint, my grandmother seemed to be sure that he was in purgatory). If there is no purgatory, what happened to all of my prayers?
    I went to a Catholic law school. I was molested by a professor. She was hot; but if I knew then what I know now, I would have sued.
    First Things First

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison
    I remember reading something similar not too long ago; I think they got rid of pergatory (sp?)
    Purgatory's gone too? Sheesh, they really need to get it together with cc'ing everybody with the afterlife memos here.

So the choices are either heaven or hell, eh? The in-betweens have been gotten rid of. I'll say it again. The afterlife has become even more of a "you're either with us or against us" kind of place.