Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

TJ Martin (Cypress Semi CEO) on Corp Environment

This may or may not be representative of all CEO's trying to run a company in the US today but you can hear the frustration in his voice. He is based in CA which doesn't help the situation. The "jobless recovery" results from a lack of faith in the direction we are going and uncertainty and worry about what the government is going to do next. This guy is trying to preserve his company including the employees in a difficult business environment. I think what we are seeing in the Dow and unemployment numbers is a collective worry about 2011 with it's planned tax increases. Sorry about the plug for Genworth on the front end.

http://video.foxnews.com/#/v/4321913...ylist_id=87937

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I think this is the consensus for many companies in the private sector. With the healthcare reform, the financial reform, and the memo on offshore drilling, I don't blame companies for being hesitant to hire. Who knows what to expect from the Obama administration? I'm honestly surprised they haven't gone after the railroads. Companies need confidence and the Obama administration does not show that.

Sesame Street also has "news". if this story has legs, Kermit will definitely pickup Cavuto's scoop.

did Cavuto do a segment on Rapunzel yet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why should anyone be surprises a CEO is gong to play the blame game in these Voodoo-hangover eco-times.

Did you think recovery from 3 decades of trickledown, wealth re-distribution, spend & borrow, wars, NAFTA, was going to be fast and cheap?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd
    Why should anyone be surprises a CEO is gong to play the blame game in these Voodoo-hangover eco-times.

Did you think recovery from 3 decades of trickledown, wealth re-distribution, spend & borrow, wars, NAFTA, was going to be fast and cheap?
    Luckily I could understand what you were saying with the surprises and a gong. It's okay for Obama to play the blame game but CEOs can't...got it. Some of those had nothing to do with the subprime mortgage crisis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcufrog02
    Luckily I could understand what you were saying with the surprises and a gong. It's okay for Obama to play the blame game but CEOs can't...got it. Some of those had nothing to do with the subprime mortgage crisis.
    Obama... did I say Obama was blaming anyone?

Of course a network wanting to make things partisan in a feeble attempt to avoid seeing things in their proper, historic context, would seek a scapegoat. It is more profitable that way.
    Last edited by troutmd; 08-26-2010 at 06:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Of course a network wanting to make things partisan in a feeble attempt to avoid seeing things in their proper, historic context, would seek a scapegoat. It is more profitable that way.
    I didn't say you said anything about Obama blaming anyone. My point was that Obama has blamed the GOP for the weak recovery and your statement was about CEOs playing the blame game. Anyone who has any business sense can understand why CEOs are hesitant to spend the capital to hire additional workers. The business environment is uncertain and Obama is partly to blame. You know what...ah never mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

People and businesses are afraid to invest or buy due to the uncertainty/certainty of what will happen next year ?? Is anyone on this forum thinking about making any large purchases in the next 12 months ?? Any businesses thinking of expanding. Any start ups postponing going public (the solar start up my son works for is postponing - he voted for Obama in '08 - I asked him if he would vote for him in '12 - No Way he said). The "recovery" we have seen this year IMO is partially the result of people/businesses spending what they can this year (and that ain't much) plus pulling income in to this year (I'm planning on doing that with my 401K) knowing that income taxes will increase next year and that new taxes will kick in. It's 1982 / 1983 in reverse. I think people are beginning to show fear - Zandi (a fan of the stimulus) now says there is a 1 in 3 chance of the double dip. There is a belief that extending the Bush tax cuts for everyone will have a positive effect on the economy - argue what you may but if people and business believe that it will, it will.

The scapegoat is the uncertainty created by the Obama administration. Even Letterman is catching on - commenting on Obama's sixth vacation since taking office he said that he (Obama) will have plenty of time for vacations after the end of his first term. Not exactly LBJ losing Cronkite but significant to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by AM999

There is a belief that extending the Bush tax cuts for everyone will have a positive effect on the economy

no there isn't, your "news" sources are creating a false consensus for you that doesn't exist.

Not exactly LBJ losing Cronkite but significant to some degree.
    that's a myth. btw, did you hear Pat Buchanan say that today?

http://en.wordpress.com/tag/cronkite-moment/

http://mediamythalert.wordpress.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    People and businesses are afraid to invest or buy due to the uncertainty/certainty of what will happen next year ?? Is anyone on this forum thinking about making any large purchases in the next 12 months ?? Any businesses thinking of expanding. Any start ups postponing going public (the solar start up my son works for is postponing - he voted for Obama in '08 - I asked him if he would vote for him in '12 - No Way he said). The "recovery" we have seen this year IMO is partially the result of people/businesses spending what they can this year (and that ain't much) plus pulling income in to this year (I'm planning on doing that with my 401K) knowing that income taxes will increase next year and that new taxes will kick in. It's 1982 / 1983 in reverse. I think people are beginning to show fear - Zandi (a fan of the stimulus) now says there is a 1 in 3 chance of the double dip. There is a belief that extending the Bush tax cuts for everyone will have a positive effect on the economy - argue what you may but if people and business believe that it will, it will.

The scapegoat is the uncertainty created by the Obama administration. Even Letterman is catching on - commenting on Obama's sixth vacation since taking office he said that he (Obama) will have plenty of time for vacations after the end of his first term. Not exactly LBJ losing Cronkite but significant to some degree.
    I read today that there is a 40% chance of a double dip recession. A couple of weeks ago, that was a 20% chance. I'm scared to read what it is in a couple more weeks. The housing recovery is just terrible. Actually, there really isn't any recovery in housing to speak of.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

btw, next we'll hear that Letterman did jokes about Clinton or Leno did jokes about Bush.

NEWSFLASH:
    Comedian criticizes and jokes about politician.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur
    .no there isn't, your "news" sources are creating a false consensus for you that doesn't exist..
    Is there a true consensus that supports your position that tax cuts will not increase spending, or that raising taxes will not reduce consumer spending?

IMO, it is kind of a bad time to experiment right now.

I am a proponent of raising taxes, albeit not just for the rich, but I just don't think right now is the time.

I'm also a proponent of cutting spending, but I don't think right not is the right time either.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman

Is there a true consensus that supports your position that tax cuts will not increase spending, or that raising taxes will not reduce consumer spending?
    note what I actually said. also I don't know where you got "{my] position" from, I never stated an opinion. I was commenting on the above poster's use of "There is a belief that", which is another way of saying "some people say"--which is a way to imply support for a view you're trying to put forward.

as for my opinion, I think the cuts below $200,000 should be extended for two more years. then they can review it at that time.

folks over $200,000 have gotten the largest percentage of gains over the last decade+, and they don't rush out and spend money (they put it in the bank) anyway, so it's the least stimulative.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't say you said anything about Obama blaming anyone. My point was that Obama has blamed the GOP for the weak recovery and your statement was about CEOs playing the blame game. Anyone who has any business sense can understand why CEOs are hesitant to spend the capital to hire additional workers. The business environment is uncertain and Obama is partly to blame. You know what...ah never mind.
    So you are or have been a CEO or do you run your own business? If you are or have been you'd know that business is generally uncertain.

The CEO in my opinion was match out on Fox News for political reasons ... not economic ones. Fox was using the CEO credentials as a means to influence people who have no real qualifications to know from the direct experience owning or leading a business. And yes there are some in the business community who see the November 2010 elections as a chance to end government regulations and to maintain the Bush wealthy tax redistribution program at the expense of the vast majority of your countrymen ... not because this would be good for America just good for themselves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

no there isn't, your "news" sources are creating a false consensus for you that doesn't exist.

that's a myth. btw, did you hear Pat Buchanan say that today?

http://en.wordpress.com/tag/cronkite-moment/

http://mediamythalert.wordpress.com/
    Those "news" sources seem to be doing a good job. Also Zandi and some Democrats are buying in.

Actually I didn't hear Mr. Buchanan - I saw the clip of Letterman and thought of that all by myself.

Also Zandi and some Democrats are buying in.

right, democrats in republican districts (who will most likely be replaced with republicans after November's elections).

again, there's no consensus (even if you phrase it "there's a belief that") on the topic, even amongst economists, whether they're on the right or left.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

note what I actually said. also I don't know where you got "{my] position" from, I never stated an opinion. I was commenting on the above poster's use of "There is a belief that", which is another way of saying "some people say"--which is a way to imply support for a view you're trying to put forward.

as for my opinion, I think the cuts below $200,000 should be extended for two more years. then they can review it at that time.

folks over $200,000 have gotten the largest percentage of gains over the last decade+, and they don't rush out and spend money (they put it in the bank) anyway, so it's the least stimulative.
    I think you would be surprised at the number of people above the $200,000 mark that are not putting it into savings. I know several people above that income level that aren't even maxing out their retirement savings or saving anything for their kids' college. Heck, I know 2 couples in the $300,000+ range that aren't maxing out for retirement or saving for their kid's college education. Yeah, I would tend to disagree with you based upon my experiences. However, that isn't a huge amount of data.

Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    So you are or have been a CEO or do you run your own business? If you are or have been you'd know that business is generally uncertain.

The CEO in my opinion was match out on Fox News for political reasons ... not economic ones. Fox was using the CEO credentials as a means to influence people who have no real qualifications to know from the direct experience owning or leading a business. And yes there are some in the business community who see the November 2010 elections as a chance to end government regulations and to maintain the Bush wealthy tax redistribution program at the expense of the vast majority of your countrymen ... not because this would be good for America just good for themselves.
    No I'm not CEO but I have heard several speak. This isn't the only CEO that has said this. You're right. Business is generally uncertain but Obama is creating part of that uncertainty. Businesses need to be encouraged to spend and who has the capital? Large corporations. Who's anti-large corporations? Democrats. I may not be CEO but I understand a little bit about business.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No I'm not CEO but I have heard several speak. This isn't the only CEO that has said this. You're right. Business is generally uncertain but Obama is creating part of that uncertainty. Businesses need to be encouraged to spend and who has the capital? Large corporations. Who's anti-large corporations? Democrats. I may not be CEO but I understand a little bit about business.
    So are you advocating that government intervention into the business cycle is necessary (pro bailouts, more corporate subsidies, enhanced tax breaks resulting in large deficits) or are you arguing that a Democratic administration intervention into the business cycle is wrong but a Republican one is good?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    ..tax cuts..will have a positive effect on the economy - ...if people and business believe that it will, it will.

Heh heh. Like it always does, eh? Like the sweeping tax reductions did last year?

I liked the "extending the Bush tax cuts for everyone" part! Oh man...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    So are you advocating that government intervention into the business cycle is necessary (pro bailouts, more corporate subsidies, enhanced tax breaks resulting in large deficits) or are you arguing that a Democratic administration intervention into the business cycle is wrong but a Republican one is good?
    I would say more of the second part. Companies still aren't sure about how the healthcare reform will affect their cash flow. Some had to make large accounting adjustments when the bill was passed. How do you think the companies perceived that?

I'm not arguing that taxes should not be raised, the financial sector didn't need reform, or that healthcare isn't an issue. My point is that all of these should not take place during a period of economic recovery. I believe these will be partly to blame for the double dip. Companies don't know what to think so they are issuing debt since rates are reasonably low and holding on to the cash for safety.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would say more of the second part. Companies still aren't sure about how the healthcare reform will affect their cash flow. Some had to make large accounting adjustments when the bill was passed. How do you think the companies perceived that?

I'm not arguing that taxes should not be raised, the financial sector didn't need reform, or that healthcare isn't an issue. My point is that all of these should not take place during a period of economic recovery. I believe these will be partly to blame for the double dip. Companies don't know what to think so they are issuing debt since rates are reasonably low and holding on to the cash for safety.
    OK, we now see your making a partisan argument over a free market business cycle. Thanks that is very helpful. The problem is your thinking is too short sighted.

Once the foreign capitol stops financing the Amercian dollar, then the game is over. Government needs to present a credible plan to deal with the seemingly out-of-control national debt. Americans, including most economists and many CEO's, are deeply concerned about the unsustainably high levels of deficits (too little income with too much spending) and the effects this will have on future generations.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. That is the uncertainly to worry about. That is the uncertainly the world has about the USA ... and in a global economy, this the #1 uncertainly that must be address to achieve sustainability.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    OK, we now see your making a partisan argument over a free market business cycle. Thanks that is very helpful. The problem is your thinking is too short sighted.

Once the foreign capitol stops financing the Amercian dollar, then the game is over. Government needs to present a credible plan to deal with the seemingly out-of-control national debt. Americans, including most economists and many CEO's, are deeply concerned about the unsustainably high levels of deficits (too little income with too much spending) and the effects this will have on future generations.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. That is the uncertainly to worry about. That is the uncertainly the world has about the USA ... and in a global economy, this the #1 uncertainly that must be address to achieve sustainability.

While my argument may be short sighted, it makes sense in my business mind. I know debt to GDP is increasing. How did we build up the debt again? I know you'll say Bush, right? Are you going to post another out dated graph?

I think the economic environment would be different had the Dems not pushed for reform. There are two reasons for this uncertainty in the business world: 1) consumer demand and 2) Obama administration. I'll let you figure out over which one Obama has control.

AJL
    Rock on!
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    I read today that there is a 40% chance of a double dip recession. A couple of weeks ago, that was a 20% chance. I'm scared to read what it is in a couple more weeks. The housing recovery is just terrible. Actually, there really isn't any recovery in housing to speak of.
    I'm hoping things turn around in a couple of weeks. My wife and I are about to list our house - thank God that we aren't close to being 'under water'.
    “In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.”
    – Erwin Schrödinger, 1948

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL
    I'm hoping things turn around in a couple of weeks. My wife and I are about to list our house - thank God that we aren't close to being 'under water'.
    Good luck with listing your house. Did you read the housing reports from this week. Is it a single family home? If so, you will be listing it when people with kids in school will not be interested in moving, especially if it is out of the current school district. On the bright side, the housing market really couldn't be much worse off than it currently is. New home builder sentiment is in the crapper and the sales of new and pre-existing homes fell into the crapper in July.

Bikes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast