• 08-20-2012
    bricoleur
    voter suppression and "voter fraud" bamboozlement

first up, Ohio.

a Mike Turzai wannabe explains it (see bolded text below).

In Ohio, A Showdown Over Whether to “Accommodate the Urban—Read African-American—Voter-Turnout Machine” - The New Republic

Alec MacGillis
    August 20, 2012

While the political world focused over the weekend on Paul Ryan’s mom, Todd Akin’s weird science and drunken, buck-naked Republican congressmen in the Sea of Galilee, a showdown over voting rights was unfolding in Ohio. And in the middle of it came another flash of what Republicans seem unable to suppress these days—accidental candor over their political objectives in seeking to restrain voter access to the polls.

There are several battles underway over voting in the Buckeye State, where Barack Obama has, remarkably, been clinging to a slight lead barely smaller than his four point edge in the state in 2008, but where any drop-off in Democratic base turnout would severely hurt him. One battle concerns the state’s tough new rules regarding “provisional ballots,” ballots that are considered to have some flaw and can only be counted after deliberation following the election. The new rules decree, for one thing, that if ballots were cast in the wrong precinct, an easy mistake to make at polling places that often include several precincts—then the ballots will not count, even if an election worker caused the mistake.

[... bold added]

Meanwhile, via yesterday's Columbus Dispatch came an impressively honest acknowledgment of what's behind the whole fight, from Doug Preisse, chairman of the Franklin County Republican Party (in Columbus) and a member of that county’s elections board. “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban— read African-American —voter-turnout machine,” Preisse said. “Let’s be fair and reasonable.”

article continued here

• 08-20-2012
    bricoleur

background on the "voting hours" issue in Ohio.

Overt Discrimination in Ohio - The New York Times

Editorial
    August 14, 2012

Update: On Wednesday afternoon, Jon Husted, the Ohio Secretary of State, announced that all Ohio counties would follow a uniform early-voting policy. The policy would extend early-voting hours to 7 p.m. on weekdays during the last two weeks before the election, though all early voting is banned during the final three days of the campaign.

If you live in Butler or Warren counties in the Republican-leaning suburbs of Cincinnati, you can vote for president beginning in October by going to a polling place in the evening or on weekends. Republican officials in those counties want to make it convenient for their residents to vote early and avoid long lines on Election Day.

But, if you live in Cincinnati, you’re out of luck. Republicans on the county election board are planning to end early voting in the city promptly at 5 p.m., and ban it completely on weekends, according to The Cincinnati Enquirer. The convenience, in other words, will not be extended to the city’s working people.

The sleazy politics behind the disparity is obvious. Hamilton County, which contains Cincinnati, is largely Democratic and voted solidly for Barack Obama in 2008. So did the other urban areas of Cleveland, Columbus and Akron, where Republicans, with the assistance of the Ohio secretary of state, Jon Husted, have already eliminated the extended hours for early voting.

article continued here

• 08-20-2012
    TerminatorX91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

first up, Ohio.

a Mike Turzai wannabe explains it (see bolded text below).

In Ohio, A Showdown Over Whether to “Accommodate the Urban—Read African-American—Voter-Turnout Machine” - The New Republic

Alec MacGillis
    August 20, 2012

While the political world focused over the weekend on Paul Ryan’s mom, Todd Akin’s weird science and drunken, buck-naked Republican congressmen in the Sea of Galilee, a showdown over voting rights was unfolding in Ohio.
    And in the middle of it came another flash of what Republicans seem unable to suppress these days—accidental candor over their political objectives in seeking to restrain voter access to the polls.

There are several battles underway over voting in the Buckeye State, where Barack Obama has, remarkably, been clinging to a slight lead barely smaller than his four point edge in the state in 2008, but where any drop-off in Democratic base turnout would severely hurt him. One battle concerns the state’s tough new rules regarding “provisional ballots,” ballots that are considered to have some flaw and can only be counted after deliberation following the election. The new rules decree, for one thing, that if ballots were cast in the wrong precinct, an easy mistake to make at polling places that often include several precincts—then the ballots will not count, even if an election worker caused the mistake.

[... bold added]

Meanwhile, via yesterday's Columbus Dispatch came an impressively honest acknowledgment of what's behind the whole fight, from Doug Preisse, chairman of the Franklin County Republican Party (in Columbus) and a member of that county’s elections board. “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban— read African-American —voter-turnout machine,” Preisse said. “Let’s be fair and reasonable.”

article continued here

I was wondering if someone was going to play the race card... er... I mean,post this here.
  • 08-20-2012
    bricoleur

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post

I was wondering if someone was going to play the race card... er... I mean,post this here.

it's not just race.

yes, the laws often affect minorities, but also lower-income folks and younger voters.

they often inadvertently impact older voters, too.

(I assume inadvertently, because seniors are a demographic the GOP can usually count on.)

so actually I'm playing the "race-class-age card."...:cool:

I've noticed that issues like this, that wingers are bamboozled on, don't get posted much (eg. climate change). imo just because someone is deranged about a subject that doesn't mean the subject should be avoided.
  • 08-20-2012
    TerminatorX91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post

it's not just race.

yes, the laws often affect minorities, but also lower-income folks and younger voters.

they often inadvertently impact older voters, too.

(I assume inadvertently, because seniors are a demographic the GOP can usually count on.)

so actually I'm playing the "race-class-age card."...:cool:

I've noticed that issues like this, that wingers are bamboozled on, don't get posted much (eg. climate change). imo just because someone is deranged about a subject that doesn't mean the subject should be avoided.

Understood and I agree.
  • 08-21-2012
    bricoleur

Rick Hasen is guest blogging at TPM this week.

Hasen's blog - electionlawblog.com

his new book - The Voting Wars

The Fake Voter Fraud Epidemic and the 2012 Election - TPM

Rick Hasen
    August 21, 2012

Of all the developments in The Voting Wars since 2000, the lead story has to be the successful Republican effort to create an illusion of a voter fraud epidemic used to justify a host of laws, especially tough new state voter identification requirements, with the aim to suppress Democratic turnout and to excite the Republican base about “stolen” elections. Democrats sometimes have exaggerated the likely effects of such laws on turnout—we won’t see millions of voters disenfranchised by state voter id laws, for example. But in a very close presidential election, as we are likely to see in November, new voter id rules, voter purges in places like Colorado and Florida, cutbacks in early voting in Ohio, and other technical changes have the potential to suppress Democratic turnout enough to swing the election from Obama to Romney.

How did we get here? Our story begins with what Josh has aptly referred to as “bamboozlement” by a group of political operatives, “The Fraudulent Fraud Squad.”

Chapter 2 of The Voting Wars tells the whole story, but here’s a brief sketch. The disputed 2000 election made clear to political operatives that the rules of the game could matter at the margin, and in our hyper-partisan and evenly divided country more elections would be decided at the margin. When Congress considered fixes to our election system, after 2000, a Republican insider named Thor Hearne—likely at the urging of Karl Rove—created a phony think tank, the “American Center for Voting Rights” to testify before a congressional committee and push the line that “voter fraud” was rampant. (The term “voter fraud” is actually relatively new, and more election crimes appear to be committed by election officials and party operatives than voters.)

article continued here

• 08-21-2012
    QuiQuaeQuod
    The Republican party is acting contrary to the fundamental principles of democracy. They want to stop people who have the legal right to vote from voting. It's that simple. It's crystal clear now. It's obvious and widespread.

I don't see how anyone who believes in democracy, who actually believes in the right to vote as a fundamental right, can support such a party.
  • 08-21-2012
    bricoleur

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod

The Republican party is acting contrary to the fundamental principles of democracy. They want to stop people who have the legal right to vote from voting. It's that simple. It's crystal clear now. It's obvious and widespread.

I don't see how anyone who believes in democracy, who actually believes in the right to vote as a fundamental right, can support such a party.

agreed, this stuff is disgusting.

unfortunately because it's so disgusting, there's a HUGE amount of epistemic derangement on the issue. fair-minded republicans and conservatives don't want it to be true.

there have been too many state measure this year, with clear efforts to block certain groups (the DMV offices in Wisconsin, the 'gun registration as ID but university ID not accepted' in Texas, the Ohio partisan votes on election hours in republican districts vs democratic districts, etc.)
  • 08-21-2012
    bricoleur

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminatorX91

Understood and I agree.

when I post a reply I'll sometimes put details in that the recipient (likely) knows already, with the thought that others, reading the exchange, might not.

there's probably a "Why is he telling me things I already know?" factor on the other end...:cool:
  • 08-21-2012
    tednugent
    West Virgina Voter Fraud... didn't happen right???

Oddly enough... during the 2008 primaries... the Hillary Camp later claimed both voter and delegate fraud to favor Obama
  • 08-21-2012
    bricoleur

Quote:

Originally Posted by tednugent

West Virgina Voter Fraud... didn't happen right???

Oddly enough... during the 2008 primaries... the Hillary Camp later claimed both voter and delegate fraud to favor Obama

that's not the kind of fraud that republicans are claiming to be "concerned" about.

although your post is a good example of anecdotal bamboozlement.
  • 08-21-2012
    tednugent
    Clinton, Obama Indiana primary petitions tainted by forged signatures - South Bend Tribune

2008 Primary petition fraud in Indiana. Ironically, a former Obama white house intern and still an Obama supporter uncovered this.

This never happened in Philadelphia, thus the DOJ isn't going after them
    http://nicedeb.files.wordpress.com/2...iladelphia.jpg

The anecdotal crap? Gigi Gaston, a democrat (and Hillary supporter) made a documentary on how Obama stole the primary
    We Will Not Be Silenced
  • 08-21-2012
    TerminatorX91
    Again, not what Republicans are claiming to be "concerned" about in their justifications.

Thanks for more example of "anecdotal bamboozlement".
  • 08-21-2012
    bricoleur

thanks for the laughs, Nuge.
  • 08-21-2012
    etane
    Quote:

Jon Stewart Rips Fox and GOP for Exaggerating Voter Fraud
    Link

Notes:

Distinguish between voter fraud and voter registration fraud.

Distinguish between voter fraud and absentee voter fraud.
  • 08-21-2012
    badge118
    Well the PA Voter ID Law was just found Constitutional. The Justice Department said they would start and investigation BUT they are going to have a hard time in PA due to the fact that they closed an investigation into Voter Intimidation in Philadelphia which even non-Partisan Voting Rights groups had a BIG problem with. Hell the US Commission on Civil Rights has serious issues with the closing of that investigation and the failure of the DOJ to supply subpoened documents during their investigation.

http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/USCCR_NBPP_report.pdf

It's going to be interesting to see how this one turns out. Note I am not trying to say that Voter intimidation and Voter fraud amount to the same violation and so such a law is justified (voter ID). Rather than the credibility of the Justice Department in Voting cases that involve race is not exactly without question at this time. The USCCR goes so far in their report as to say that the reversal of the DOJ had to come from policy makers. So this then also involves the credibility, in this specific case, of certain members of the Obama Administration as well.
  • 08-21-2012
    PaxRomana
    Who is behind all these voter ID laws?

Why, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), of course.

Quote:

The late Paul Weyrich, a political activist and co-founder of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, helped start ALEC in 1973.
    Flurry of Voter ID laws tied to conservative group ALEC - Open Channel
  • 08-21-2012
    badge118
    Oky a 501(c)(3) is donating money and lobbying to have laws passed. Trying to understand what's news here tbh. They all freaking do it. Anyone who think 510(c)(3)'s don't try to end around the system is pretty naive imo.
  • 08-21-2012
    bricoleur

.....bold added
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaxRomana

Who is behind all these voter ID laws?

Why, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbcnews.com

The late Paul Weyrich, a political activist and co-founder of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, helped start ALEC in 1973.

Flurry of Voter ID laws tied to conservative group ALEC - Open Channel

Paul Weyrich on voting.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WPsl_TuFdes?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&showi nfo=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WPsl_TuFdes?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&showi nfo=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • 08-21-2012
    TerminatorX91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by badge118 View Post
    Oky a 501(c)(3) is donating money and lobbying to have laws passed. Trying to understand what's news here tbh. They all freaking do it. Anyone who think 510(c)(3)'s don't try to end around the system is pretty naive imo.

I don't think Pax was saying it's news that it happens. Who all is they?
  • 08-21-2012
    badge118
    Sorry they being 501(c)(3) organizations in general. They usually have agendas (good or bad irrelevant) that are often served by specific policies and/or political parties, so whether openly or behind the scenes they support the people that support them. Human nature and all that.
  • 08-21-2012
    TerminatorX91
    Deleted
  • 08-21-2012
    TerminatorX91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by badge118 View Post
    Sorry they being 501(c)(3) organizations in general. They usually have agendas (good or bad irrelevant) that are often served by specific policies and/or political parties, so whether openly or behind the scenes they support the people that support them. Human nature and all that.

Speaking of which, on a slight tangent:

Reporter's Notebook
    Nonprofits Groups and Dark Money in the Presidential Campaign (12:40PM)

In the case called Citizens United, the US Supreme Court took the limits off campaign contributions as long as the sources of money were made public. Since then, so-called super PAC's have received a lot of attention and so have their donors. But now it turns out that the super PAC's are being outspent by "social welfare" groups which don't have to reveal where their money is coming from. Kim Barker reports on campaign finance for ProPublica.

Segment starts @40:00

<object width="424" height="268"><param name="movie" value="http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp/tp120821do_social_security_a/embed-audio"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp/tp120821do_social_security_a/embed-audio" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="424" height="268"></embed></object>
  • 08-21-2012
    KoroninK
    These new laws (both voter ID and less early voting hours/days) seem to me to be pushing people towards absentee voting. My understanding is there is actually more likely to be voter fraud in absentee voting and in person voting yet this seems to be what they are pushing for.
  • 08-21-2012
    bricoleur

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoroninK

These new laws (both voter ID and less early voting hours/days) seem to me to be pushing people towards absentee voting. My understanding is there is actually more likely to be voter fraud in absentee voting and in person voting yet this seems to be what they are pushing for.

the "tells" keep piling up.

The Fake Voter Fraud Epidemic and the 2012 Election - TPM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hasen

Importantly, Republicans tied their claims of voter fraud to ostensible fraud prevention measures which would be most likely to depress Democratic turnout, but they ignored measures which would actually combat real problems of fraud. So Republicans pushed hard for voter identification laws, which would prevent one person from impersonating another at the polls.

But the tell that Republicans were not serious about fraud prevention was their failure to call for laws limiting absentee balloting to those with a valid excuse for not voting at the polling place. A recent News21 survey of prosecutions in all 50 states shows that vote buying through absentee ballots is a real—though relatively small— problem. That survey found that impersonation fraud is almost non-existent—10 allegations across the country in the last decade. It’s no wonder, as impersonation fraud is an exceedingly dumb way to seal an election.