Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

"We all pulled together..."—Clint Eastwood

"...to save the auto industry."

What???

Obama saved those jobs. Romney said who cares.

Eastwood should have told it straight.

That's the election; that's the choice.
    We're letting a couple hundred billionaires scam us.

No Crybabies

who?

Didn't Fiat buy Chrysler? Who gets that credit?

Chrysler Group LLC ( /ˈkrslər/) is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA. Chrysler was first organized as the Chrysler Corporation in 1925.[4]
    On June 10, 2009, Chrysler LLC emerged from a Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization and substantially all of its operations were sold to a new company, Chrysler Group LLC, organized in alliance with the Italian automaker Fiat.[5][6] Initially holding a 20% interest in Chrysler Group, Fiat's stake was increased to 58.5% (fully diluted) following acquisition of the equity interests held by the U.S. Treasury (6% on 3 June 2011) and Canada (1.5% on 21 July 2011) [7][8]

Chrysler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

Sticky Valentine
    Yeah, which is kind of funny because I heard on NPR last week that Fiat about broke even while Chrysler turned a decent profit. Looks like they did good things with it.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

waterproof*
    wait, I thought it was Bush's fault?
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

waterproof*
    also: Keith Urban drives a Fiat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    that fiat scorpion looked real nice!!!

Shirtcocker
    I noticed Clint didn't show a lot of footage of the Detroit ruins.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

waterproof*
    Who exactly "pulled together" to save Ford, then?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    Didn't Fiat buy Chrysler? Who gets that credit?
    $7.6 billion U.S. loan to keep Chrysler afloat—Obama gets the credit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Who exactly "pulled together" to save Ford, then?
    Ford was able to save itself; no bankruptcy threat.

Obama saved GM and Chrysler and hundreds of thousands of jobs.

For that alone he deserves reelection.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Ford was able to save itself; no bankruptcy threat.

Obama saved GM and Chrysler and hundreds of thousands of jobs.

For that alone he deserves reelection.
    Sure, after Bush first gave them a loan guarantee to keep them afloat a few months longer.

So, you voted for Bush on that basis, yes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II View Post
    I noticed Clint didn't show a lot of footage of the Detroit ruins.
    And didn't remark on the fact that the voting rights of nearly half of African Americans in Michigan have been usurped by Republicans.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Sure, after Bush first gave them a loan guarantee to keep them afloat a few months longer.

So, you voted for Bush on that basis, yes?
    Why didn't bushy just go all in?

Always changing.....
    He probably helped Electro-Motive (Caterpillar) move back to the US as well.

banned
    Dec 2011
    wait, I thought it was Bush's fault?
    Give Bush credit for $$$1.2 trillion to bailout the banks that were too big to fail. The auto bailout was all Obama, and NO I DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Bush first gave [Ford] a loan guarantee to keep them afloat
    Incorrect. It was a technology development incentive low-interest loan to a viable company, which is why Chrysler and GM were not eligible.

But since Obama saved GM and Chrysler (and hundreds of thousands of jobs) while Romney would have let them disappear, GM and Chrysler have a future as American companies eligible for such job-producing loans.

Obama is a hero for American manufacturing. Highest growth in manufacturing jobs since 1990. Not if Romney were running things, that's for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Incorrect. It was a technology development incentive low-interest loan to a viable company, which is why Chrysler and GM were not eligible.

But since Obama saved GM and Chrysler (and hundreds of thousands of jobs) while Romney would have let them disappear, GM and Chrysler have a future as American companies eligible for such job-producing loans.

Obama is a hero for American manufacturing. Highest growth in manufacturing jobs since 1990.
    What do you think McCain or Bush would have done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    What do you think McCain or Bush would have done?
    Not sure if McCain would have attempted much; he seems kind of passive; not an idea man.

I doubt Bush would throw the industry overboard like Romney. I think that's what sets Romney apart—his willingness to let his personal bottom line be the final decision on American jobs.

Bush would have taken the companies to the wall with worker concessions; not sure how many American jobs Bush would have saved or whether they'd be good jobs.

[I was in the middle of editing the 09 GM annual report when the plug was pulled; was going to be a confident theme, as usual.]
    Last edited by BadHabit; 02-06-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Didn't a great many GOP senators and Congressmen- Corker from Tennessee prominently, for example- argue that the government should just let GM and Chrysler die, and not help in any way?

And isn't a tenant of current GOP economic ideology that it doesn't really matter if companies like GM go away, even as large as they are, and even as many jobs as they provide both directly and indirectly, 'cuz they'll be replaced by something else anyway, and that's just the way things are in today's churning, rapid-change global economy?

If so, I think they were wrong on both counts, but it'd be interesting to re-hear the history on this, and ppl's takes on it.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    churning
    I think the term is more popular with venture capitalists than families.

waterproof*

Obama is a hero for American manufacturing. Highest growth in manufacturing jobs since 1990. Not if Romney were running things, that's for sure.
    "In September, 2008 the Big Three asked for $50 billion to pay for health care expenses and avoid bankruptcy and ensuing layoffs, and Congress worked out a 25$ billion loan.[83] By December, President Bush had agreed to an emergency bailout of $17.4 billion to be distributed by the next administration in January and February.[84] In early 2009, the prospect of avoiding bankruptcy by General Motors and Chrysler continued to wane as new financial information about the scale of the 2008 losses came in. Ultimately, poor management and business practices forced Chrysler and General Motors into bankruptcy. Chrysler filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on May 1, 2009 [85] followed by General Motors a month later.[86]"

- Automotive industry crisis of 2008

BTW, guys, I'm just poking at you. At the time, I think we all agreed that Bush was just kicking the can down the road so it would be Obama's problem. I was fine with that, since lame-duck Presidents routinely do that sort of thing.

OTOH, I am still a bit chuffed that all you libs crow about the "success" of the bailouts of GM and Chrysler, but consistently fail to note that Ford didn't get the big bailout, and still survives, intact and profitable.

waterproof*
    t it'd be interesting to re-hear the history on this, and ppl's takes on it.
    The wiki article seems decent, if you're inclined to accept wiki facts.

My take - it's not over yet. GM has yet to show that they can be a long-term viable business under the new management. Sure, Obama used our money to buy the company some breathing room, while at the same time handing over a huge chunk of wealth to his union buddies. But, did he really save jobs, long-term?

Anybody care to do the math on $ paid by we the people (so far), vs jobs saved (so far)?

banned
    Oct 2011
    The wiki article seems decent, if you're inclined to accept wiki facts.

My take - it's not over yet. GM has yet to show that they can be a long-term viable business under the new management. Sure, Obama used our money to buy the company some breathing room, while at the same time handing over a huge chunk of wealth to his union buddies. But, did he really save jobs, long-term?

Anybody care to do the math on $ paid by we the people (so far), vs jobs saved (so far)?
    So, you think we should have just spread out that money over their workers?

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    My take - it's not over yet. GM has yet to show that they can be a long-term viable business under the new management.
    With their new labor cost structure, and less debt... sure, they very much look viable long-term.

They just aren't world-beaters yet. Which is why, back when ppl here (or in the Lounge?) were asking if they should invest in 'the new GM' initial stock offering, I said that they'd probably make some money in the short- or medium-term if they did... but long-term, GM was only the fifth- or sixth-best car manufacturer in the world, and making a profit off their stock long-term would be iffy at best.

Given what the stock price has done to date, looks like I was correct.

Sure, Obama used our money to buy the company some breathing room, while at the same time handing over a huge chunk of wealth to his union buddies. But, did he really save jobs, long-term?
    Given that it doesn't look like the new GM is going to fold anytime soon, I'd have to say yes, he did.

If someone does, they should include indirect jobs as well (parts suppliers, dealerships, etc) and the impact on local economies (restaurants, the housing market, local tax base, etc etc).
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

waterproof*
    If someone does, they should include indirect jobs as well (parts suppliers, dealerships, etc) and the impact on local economies (restaurants, the housing market, local tax base, etc etc).
    Ah yes, the trickle-down theory. Right.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast