RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

What does a trade war sound like?

A bit like a harley apparently.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ounter-tariffs

A commpany touted by Trump to be a model American manufacturer
    Blows your hair back.

Opus was just napping
    so it sounds like potato, potato, potato, potato.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    A bit like a harley apparently.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ounter-tariffs

A commpany touted by Trump to be a model American manufacturer
    A Harley fading away into the distance.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will be surprised if Harley is still in business in any significant form in 20 years. Young people generally don't buy motorcycles. And if they do, it won't be a Harley. They've been selling a smaller and smaller number of motorcycles to an older and older customer base for a while now. I've not seen any real plan for them to turn that around.

That being said, I have a friend who was born in Poland who still sees Harley as part of the romance of America. He still thinks of Easy Rider when he thinks of Harley instead of retired dentists playing dress-up. Perhaps there's more such folks still in Europe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I will be surprised if Harley is still in business in any significant form in 20 years. Young people generally don't buy motorcycles. And if they do, it won't be a Harley. They've been selling a smaller and smaller number of motorcycles to an older and older customer base for a while now. I've not seen any real plan for them to turn that around.

That being said, I have a friend who was born in Poland who still sees Harley as part of the romance of America. He still thinks of Easy Rider when he thinks of Harley instead of retired dentists playing dress-up. Perhaps there's more such folks still in Europe.
    the European sales have been more or less flat, the US has dropped though.

edited: and in any case it just shows what can easily be the decision for other manufacturers in the US.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post

Agree. You don't see younger people on Harleys, plus there are alternative cruiser bikes (if you like that style) that are just as good or better, but half the price.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

xxl
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/global-...d=breakingnews

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the stock market is negative for this year, the year that DONT's policies weren't fettered by those of the previous admin.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Harleys are for old, fat people.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    Trumps base
    They those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The problem is you can't teach stupid and history is taught in a classroom.

What the what???

What does a trade war sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by STRANA View Post
    Trumps base
    Hey! Iím both old and fat... but I am definitely NOT Trump*s base. You wound me, sir!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 06-26-2018 at 03:57 AM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    which model is your favorite?
    Blows your hair back.

Opus was just napping
    If I could ever get over the thoughts of getting broken into many many pieces, give me a Triumph Bonneville so at least some part of me could be as cool as Steve McQueen.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    If I could ever get over the thoughts of getting broken into many many pieces, give me a Triumph Bonneville so at least some part of me could be as cool as Steve McQueen.
    For me, it's getting my wife to let me.. and I have been looking at a Triumph Speed Tripple.

Here's the thing though.. the same roads I would use the motorcycle on.. are the same ones I ride my bicycle in nothing but some lycra and a helmet. I would be better protected in motorcycle riding gear...

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://marketrealist.com/2016/03/ha...s-manufactured

International operations
    Outside the US, Harley-Davidson owns two major manufacturing and assembly plants in Brazil and India. Operations at the Manaus assembly plant began in 1999. Since then, the company has assembled the majority of the motorcycles it sells in the Brazilian market at this plant.

Harley-Davidson owns its second international facility in Bawal, India. This facility was established in 2011 to improve its production flexibility, market responsiveness, and operations in the Indian market. Apart from the Indian market, the company also began manufacturing its street motorcycle models for other markets including Italy, Spain, and Portugal at this plant since 2014.

Some mainstream automakers (VCR) such as General Motors (GM), Ford (F), and Toyota (TM) also have been trying to localize their vehicle production outside their home country to minimize their cost production.
    Looks like they have been expanding outside the US for a while.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    For me, it's getting my wife to let me.. and I have been looking at a Triumph Speed Tripple.

Here's the thing though.. the same roads I would use the motorcycle on.. are the same ones I ride my bicycle in nothing but some lycra and a helmet. I would be better protected in motorcycle riding gear...
    Get your wife interested.

My brother has a Triumph and loves it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Get your wife interested.

My brother has a Triumph and loves it.
    My wife is so anti motorcycle... It's a shame. I think much of it is due to her brother who used to do motocross, and has broken about half his bones over that time. That and there are many DC riders who are total asshats and like to do Tripple digits on the roads we commute on. They scare the crap out of you when they go past fast enough to shake your vehicle

Opus was just napping

I am the one keeping my wife from buying one.

Many many years ago I was the second car at the stop sign exiting the raleigh beltline onto hillsborough street. Saw the motorcycle driving up Hillsborough and knew before it happened that the car in front of me was going to kill him. I have never had that before or since but I was screaming in my car at the car in front of me as it pulled out and the motorcycle went from 45 miles an hour to 0 and the rider flew forever.
    Last edited by thatsmybush; 06-26-2018 at 04:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wife is so anti motorcycle... It's a shame. I think much of it is due to her brother who used to do motocross, and has broken about half his bones over that time. That and there are many DC riders who are total asshats and like to do Tripple digits on the roads we commute on. They scare the crap out of you when they go past fast enough to shake your vehicle
    It is a shame. There are responsible ways to ride a motorcycle that will keep you safe (safer than a bicycle anyways). I've seen may idiot riders that you know it's just a matter of time before they meet their maker, but she doesn't have to ride that way.

Does she ride a bicycle with you?

Opus was just napping
    Trump is on a twitter diarrhea tirade about Harley right now. Threatening them with "taxes like never before" calling them liars and basically acting like an unhinged juvenile that can't get a dollar from his parents for the ice cream man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trump is on a twitter diarrhea tirade about...
    Oh, so it's Tuesday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Trump is on a twitter diarrhea tirade about Harley right now. Threatening them with "taxes like never before" calling them liars and basically acting like an unhinged juvenile that can't get a dollar from his parents for the ice cream man.
    This must be the civility that Huckleberry was demanding

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    Oh, so it's Tuesday.
    More like, so it's a day that ends in a Y.

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Wouldn't it be nice if a corporation or a Republican stood up to the Turd and told him to fark himself?
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Elections have consequences.

If you do not like the direction of under its current leadership in the hands of one party, vote for change.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Steel tariffs put largest US nail manufacturer 'on brink of extinction'

Steel tariffs could force the nation's largest nail manufacturer to close or move to Mexico.

The Mid-Continent Nail plant in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, laid off 60 of its 500 workers last week because of increased steel costs. The company blames the 25% tariff on imported steel. Orders for nails plunged 50% after the company raised its prices to deal with higher steel costs.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast