Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I think the first comment was that it's a bad analogy. Thread could have ended there

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I think the first comment was that it's a bad analogy. Thread could have ended there

Can you explain why you think that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb100 View Post
    Can you explain why you think that?
    Trying to explain something approximately as complex as the cold war with a story about a kid throwing rocks at a house doesn't do it for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trying to explain something approximately as complex as the cold war with a story about a kid throwing rocks at a house doesn't do it for me.

Which cold war are you referring to? My post referred, not to the Soviet Union and the US, which is commonly referred to as the cold war, but to N Korea.

Perhaps the subject is too complex. I tried to put it into simpler terms but, as yet, not a single post has said described what the poster would do.

Not one.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Which cold war are you referring to? My post referred, not to the Soviet Union and the US, which is commonly referred to as the cold war, but to N Korea.

Perhaps the subject is too complex. I tried to put it into simpler terms but, as yet, not a single post has said described what the poster would do.

Not one.
    That is because the question was couched in such a way as to completely misconstrue the whole situation by ignoring many other aspects of the whole affair. we are not allowing ourselves to be drawn into a simplistic view of the potential conflict.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Not one.
    Re read my post, and the first question is answered.

As to the second, I think nobody answering your question after 50 posts is likely a problem with the question, not everybody here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    That is because the question was couched in such a way as to completely misconstrue the whole situation by ignoring many other aspects of the whole affair. we are not allowing ourselves to be drawn into a simplistic view of the potential conflict.
    I think that's a cop out. Just answer the question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Re read my post, and the first question is answered.

As to the second, I think nobody answering your question after 50 posts is likely a problem with the question, not everybody here.

No, I think we have a lot of pacifists here. I think we have a lot of people here who can't see the future consequence of inaction or don't want to face it.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    No, I think we have a lot of pacifists here. I think we have a lot of people here who can't see the future consequence of inaction or don't want to face it.
    Or we have a few warhawks so accustomed to destroying other people's countries, they're indifferent to the consequences of their actions. Alternatively, when the only tool you have is a hammer-every problem looks like a nail.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Or we have a few warhawks so accustomed to destroying other people's countries, they're indifferent to the consequences of their actions. Alternatively, when the only tool you have is a hammer-every problem looks like a nail.
    Clearly, you didn't learn from Iran. It was only the real prospect of attack that got the Mullahs attention.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Smack 'em when they're tacks. Nip it in the bud.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    Nip it in the bud.
    spoken like a true Barney Fife...

all bluster.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    spoken like a true Barney Fife...

all bluster.
    Well, don't run around looking like a nail. Barney did have the one bullet and time to time Andy let him load it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's a teenager
    Why a teenager? How old is the you?
    standing outside your house who doesn't like you.
    Standing outside your house would imply the immediate vicinity, not 10,000kms away.
    In his hand he has a rock, at his feet is a partially assembled shot gun. He's threatening to start shooting through the windows.
    Shotgun is a very imprecise weapon at any range over 50 yards. Is the kid going to walk into the house and start shooting or stay in his backyard and shoot?

You tell him he needs to go home and stop bothering you, he laughs in your face.
    He is at home.

You go to his father (China) who tells you he'll help, but he does nothing. The kid is still there.
    Countries don't disappear. You also forget that you have threatened the "father" with your own weapons that you have pointed at his head. The crazy kid is standing between you and the father,right?

You go to the police (UN) and they say they'll give him a stern talking to (sanctions). But this has no effect on his actions.
    You are part of that police force right? How about some accountability here?

The kid is still there, yelling at your house, threatening to shoot up the place. And now he is assembling the shotgun.What do you do?
    second amendment is in effect in this neighbourhood or not? Until the crazy "kid" shoots at you there is very little you can do. Having a shotgun is a guaranteed right under the constitution. The scenario you paint is in America? Is the kid a Christian? Are you a Christian? Is he hungry or mentally disturbed. What is your mental state? What is your temperament?

a little bit of backstory, you have been in a war with the kid since the 1950's. you have had shotguns, and long range snipers pointed at him since then. The kid has seen some other kids on the block that you have attacked in the past be killed
    Changes the scenario a bit I guess. Probably you'd stop pointing your weapons at him, stop being at war with him and ask him to talk about a peaceable solution. Why would he do anything else until you drop your own weapons?
    That sounds like appeasement. What would jimb100 do?

If the roles were reversed what would you do?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Clearly, you didn't learn from Iran. It was only the real prospect of attack that got the Mullahs attention.
    Clearly you didn't learn from Iraq...or Afghanistan. To name only the most recent cases where US "regime change" policy directly resulted in states going from moderately-stable dictatorships...to semi-permanent war-zones.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Fecal indicator
    oh ffs...will someone just say 'nuke him' so this stupid thread can end...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Why a teenager? How old is the you? Standing outside your house would imply the immediate vicinity, not 10,000kms away. Shotgun is a very imprecise weapon at any range over 50 yards. Is the kid going to walk into the house and start shooting or stay in his backyard and shoot?

He is at home.

Countries don't disappear. You also forget that you have threatened the "father" with your own weapons that you have pointed at his head. The crazy kid is standing between you and the father,right?

You are part of that police force right? How about some accountability here?

second amendment is in effect in this neighbourhood or not? Until the crazy "kid" shoots at you there is very little you can do. Having a shotgun is a guaranteed right under the constitution. The scenario you paint is in America? Is the kid a Christian? Are you a Christian? Is he hungry or mentally disturbed. What is your mental state? What is your temperament?

Changes the scenario a bit I guess. Probably you'd stop pointing your weapons at him, stop being at war with him and ask him to talk about a peaceable solution. Why would he do anything else until you drop your own weapons?
    That sounds like appeasement. What would jimb100 do?

If the roles were reversed what would you do?
    If you want to create your own hypothetical, start your own thread.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I think that's a cop out. Just answer the question.
    Not answering a question that has completely misconstrued the whole situation.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Not answering a question that has completely misconstrued the whole situation.
    In what way? We seem to have a bratty teenager who has recently acquired WMDs constantly threatening to destroy an American city with his atom bomb.

We've been doing nothing but wring our hands and whine about the situation for 25 years. Now chickens have come home to roost.

Cowardice is no longer an option. We have kicked the can to the end of the road and so are faced with no alternatives but confrontation.

Should we fail to disarm N Korea, we will be displaying a weakness that invites nuclear proliferation to any dictator who can convince Kim to sell or give a nuclear weapon.

Then do what? Whine and wring our hands some more? Unacceptable!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want to create your own hypothetical, start your own thread.
    Perhaps if you had a bit less of an abortion in the guise of an analogy? I don't need to create a hypothetical story, reality is close enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps if you had a bit less of an abortion in the guise of an analogy? I don't need to create a hypothetical story, reality is close enough.
    You say you don't need to create your own hypothetical, but then you did.

Why would you throw the word 'abortion' into the mix? Can't you discuss my post using sensible language that advances the discusson?

I get tired of people on this board who decry the alt/rt because they don't apply critical thinking to the ideas they espouse but do the same. A snarky comment, a knee jerk reaction, but often no more of a thought through response than the other side.

Make a point, back it up with a well thought out argument and move on. Half a$$ed snark only says you can't come up with a well thought out reply.

The only two responses that have come from my initial post are:

1. Do nothing in N Korea because we are powerless.

2. I don't like your analogy so I'm just going to make a snarky comment so I will look really clever.

RoadBikeReview Member

Why would you throw the word 'abortion' into the mix? Can't you discuss my post using sensible language that advances the discusson?

I get tired of people on this board who decry the alt/rt because they don't apply critical thinking to the ideas they espouse but do the same. A snarky comment, a knee jerk reaction, but often no more of a thought through response than the other side.

Make a point, back it up with a well thought out argument and move on. Half a$$ed snark only says you can't come up with a well thought out reply.

The only two responses that have come from my initial post are:

1. Do nothing in N Korea because we are powerless.

2. I don't like your analogy so I'm just going to make a snarky comment so I will look really clever.
    Well, despite the "problems" with your analogy of the teenager with the shotgun, the question should be asked. Generals are warning it would devastate S Korea, kill a million or so innocent civilians, therefore not worth a damn by any stretch of the imagination. So its a game of threats and counter threats. Trump and the NK are playing a game pointing guns at each other's head and daring them to take the first shot. Great way to start a war.

But to what end? Who's going to win and lose? What do the N Koreans want, really? What drives their hate of the US? Is it not the cry of desperation over the sad state of their own affairs? Are they not projecting their failures on us? And would that drive them into a suicidal war?

Maybe they're willing to call the US's bluff, and make a first strike somewhere, but for what purpose? They have no navy, no long range bombers. They can't control their neighbors. The big military force, missiles and nukes are for show, to impress. They're the little 6 year old who just picked up daddy's AR-16 with the hundred round magazine. They're not sure the missile could track that far and detonate a nuke bomb over a target, nor whether it would make it through deterrents along the trajectory. US intelligence says they have doubts.

Lots of uncertainties here, comrades. It would be very foolish to take action, other than being prepared. In the meantime, talk the idiot out of building up a nuclear capability purely for ego, nothing more. If he tries anything he's history. Plenty of madmen have gone down in catastrophic social upheavals when they realize their moment in history is over, and they want to go out screaming. Thank God for the generals!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 1 Week Ago at 12:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

well your analogy was ill conceived, not fully developed and was a monstrousity. Abortion seemed appropriate. I've seen enough naturally aborted animals to recognise the origins of the word. I only tried to flesh out (is flesh a safe word or would you like some skin on it?) the holes in your analogy. Someone said it was flawed, you asked how and I tried to show why. That wasn't my hypothetical, it was yours.

I get tired of people on this board who decry the alt/rt because they don't apply critical thinking to the ideas they espouse but do the same. A snarky comment, a knee jerk reaction, but often no more of a thought through response than the other side
    sleep and rest are good for fatigue. Thank you so much for your efforts to simplify a global problem into a simplistic scenario.
    What would you do if you lived in the house with a teenager, although to be fair, Korea has a longer documented history than the US. Oops, is that a snarky comment or a succinct fact? It gets confusing, maybe NK is really a senile old man whose status in society is under threat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    well your analogy was ill conceived, not fully developed and was a monstrousity. Abortion seemed appropriate. I've seen enough naturally aborted animals to recognise the origins of the word. I only tried to flesh out (is flesh a safe word or would you like some skin on it?) the holes in your analogy. Someone said it was flawed, you asked how and I tried to show why. That wasn't my hypothetical, it was yours.

sleep and rest are good for fatigue. Thank you so much for your efforts to simplify a global problem into a simplistic scenario.
    What would you do if you lived in the house with a teenager, although to be fair, Korea has a longer documented history than the US. Oops, is that a snarky comment or a succinct fact? It gets confusing, maybe NK is really a senile old man whose status in society is under threat?
    When will you present a fact that is relevant to the discussion?

When will you stop with the diversions?

The idea is to be different from the GOP.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    When will you present a fact that is relevant to the discussion?

When will you stop with the diversions?

The idea is to be different from the GOP.

So different...as to repeat the same idiot mistakes from 16 years ago.

Charging into an area we don't understand, cock sure we know what we're doing, trying to remake a country with no money and no long term plan...and then act shocked SHOCKED that nation building is hard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast