Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    banned
    Jan 2004

Whew! Palin says affair story "a vicious lie"

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-electi...121383123.html

It's probably a smear. In any case, it's irrelevant to her performance--infidelity only counts in Democrats. But I would SO like to see the video....

In a related matter: It's been a long time since I took Media Law, but it seems to me that since she's a public figure, it's almost impossible to libel her. Without incurring billable hours, can one of you attorneys tell me if that's still the case, and if so, is the McCain campaign's threat of a lawsuit over this just a bluff to appear indignant?

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    If it's the National Enquirer it just might be true. Those guys check their sources.

Banned forever.....or not
    McBush is going to die from a stroke.

Hey!, If they were right about Edwards, maybe they're right here.........

Woops, I forgot.....Pubs don't do this sort of thing.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...dal.html?cat=3

The latest Sarah Palin Sex Scandal to roil the Presidential campaign of John McCain is the National Enquirer report that the Governor of Alaska has had an adulterous affair with her husband's business partner. The McCain campaign went into damage control and issued a statement condemning the charges by the supermarket tabloid, whose revelations that 2004 Democratic Vice Presidential nominee John Edwards had conducted an affair with a campaign aide scuttled his political career.

The National Enquirer has a history of causing major trouble for straying politicians. It made key revelations in the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal that led to President Bill Clinton's impeachment. The revelations about Sarah Palin's adulterous affair were headlined on the cover of the recent edition of the tabloid, which promised to reveal SARAH PALIN'S DARK SECRETS.

The article currently is not on the National Enquirer's Web site. The country's #1 supermarket tabloid apparently means to make fodder out of the sexual peccadilloes of John McCain, as the Web site features an article on McCain's cheating on his first wife.

Steve Schmidt, a senior official on the McCain campaign, denounced the cover story. "The smearing of the Palin family must end," he told the press. "The allegations contained on the cover of the National Enquirer insinuating that Gov. Palin had an extramarital affair are categorically false. It is a vicious lie."

The attack on the media fits in with a theme of the McCain campaign, which is that the "liberal" media is against McCain and Sarah Palin for being conservatives and mavericks who are outside of the Washington, D.C. mainstream that both candidates, in reality, have navigated so well in their careers. In her speech accepting the Republican Vice Presidential nomination, Palin disingenuously attacked the press for saying that John McCain would not win the nomination.
    Palin's speech was disingenuous on at least three fronts: the press was enamored of John McCain during the primary season and gave him positive coverage; McCain won the nomination in an undemocratic "winner take all" system that quashed the possibility of another candidate racking up enough delegates to make a challenge for the nomination on the floor of the convention as McCain did not win a majority of the delegates outright; and it was part of the Barry Goldwater-Ronald Reagan "know nothing" pitch of the Republican Party demonizing the press for doing what it was given freedom under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution a to do: serve as a critical spirit in the political process.

The American President and Vice President swear an oath to uphold the Constitution. That has never stopped one from bullying the press, most spectacularly during the RIchard Nixon administration, when Vice President Spiro Agnew denounced the "nattering nabobs of negativism" of the press.

John McCain and other Republicans have excoriated the press for reporting on Sarah Palin's life and political career. In other words, they are criticizing the press for doing the thorough vetting process that he apparently felt he could do without, so intent was he on exploiting Palin's teenage daughter, an unmarried 17 year-old whom McCain is using as a poster girl for the anti-abortion forces. By accepting nomination for an office she clearly is unqualified for her --qualifications being the main attack, other than support for the Iraq War, that McCain scores Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama on -- she is complicit in the exploitation of her teenage daughter Bristol, who was trotted out with Levi Johnston, the 18 year-old high school senior who impregnated her last night at the convention.

Though it is unlikely a politician could win a libel suit in the United States against a newspaper, no matter how down-market, due to the First Amendment protections afforded the press and due to U.S. libel law, the most liberal in the world, that didn't stop the McCain campaign from rattling its saber.

"The efforts of the media and tabloids to destroy this fine and accomplished public servant are a disgrace," Steve Schmidt said, demonizing the entire Fourth Estate. "The American people will reject it. Legal action will be considered with regard to this disgraceful smear."

The popular right-wing Web portal the Drudge Report, which was instrumental in breaking the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal 10 years ago, carried the Enquirer's response to the McCain campaign:
    "The National Enquirer's coverage of a vicious war within Sarah Palin's extended family includes several newsworthy revelations, including the resulting incredible charge of an affair plus details of family strife when the Governor's daughter revealed her pregnancy. Following our John Edwards' exclusives, our political reporting has obviously proven to be more detail-oriented than the McCain campaign's vetting process. Despite the McCain camp's attempts to control press coverage they find unfavorable, The Enquirer will continue to pursue news on both sides of the political spectrum."

According to last week's National Enquirer cover story on Bristol Palin's pregnancy, Sarah Palin tried to force her daughter to marry the swain who knocked her up before the press found out about it. Governor Palin had planned a shot-gun wedding to take place before the Republican National Convention, so that she could announce that her now-married daughter was pregnant at the convention. Despite intense pressure from her mother, Bristol Palin refused to comply with her request.

The pregnancy has worked out very well for Sarah Palin and John McCain, as the anti-abortion forces have taken to her as movie audiences took to the teenage pregnancy movie Juno last year.

The National Enquirer claimed that Sarah Palin revealed her daughter was pregnant to the press after the supermarket tabloid informed the Palins and the family of Levi Johnston that they knew Bristol Palin was pregnant and was going to run the story. The Enquirer also reported that, "Palin's family is embroiled in a vicious war that is now exposing her darkest secrets, threatening to destroy her political career."

This is the adulterous affair, plus Bristol Palin's pregnancy. Th Enquirer's list of secrets includes Governor Palin's attempt to have her former brother-in-law, state policeman Mike Wooten, fired. The media at large has reported that Sarah Palin apparently terminated the director of public safety, who is head of the Alaska state police, when he refused to comply with her request to terminate Wooten.
    Dogbert.

I>U

Pals around w/ humorists
    Damned elitist Enquirer...
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    Groucho Marx

Train to Nowhere
    Jan 2006
    it was me. she held me at gunpoint and made me do it.

i feel dirty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Odd that no Pubs got on the Enquirers case about clinton and edwards, now they try and smear the press. Hard to have it both ways.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    "The National Enquirer's coverage of a vicious war within Sarah Palin's extended family includes several newsworthy revelations, including the resulting incredible charge of an affair plus details of family strife when the Governor's daughter revealed her pregnancy. Following our John Edwards' exclusives, our political reporting has obviously proven to be more detail-oriented than the McCain campaign's vetting process. Despite the McCain camp's attempts to control press coverage they find unfavorable, The Enquirer will continue to pursue news on both sides of the political spectrum."
    Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

The appropriate questions of the hour are..........

Would John Edwards hit it?
    and
    Would you hit it?
    Dogbert.

I>U

banned

and
    Would you hit it?
    Like I'd hit Anne Coulter. Which is to say, with a bat.

Folsom City Blues...
    It's All Bill Clinton's Fault!

Peace
    Tao Te Ching

The movement of the Tao is to return
    The way of Tao is to yield

Heaven, Earth and all things

are born of existant world.

The existent world is born of nothingness of Tao

Master Lao Tzu

This brings up the question:

Who is Sarah's baby's daddy?????
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    You never know about the Enquirer.. sometimes they nail it. Other times they have pictures of Elvis at Victoria's Secret in the Encino Mall.

I know which way to lean until the story breaks on NPR.

Pals around w/ humorists
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo13
    You never know about the Enquirer.. sometimes they nail it. Other times they have pictures of Elvis at Victoria's Secret in the Encino Mall.

I know which way to lean until the story breaks on NPR.
    On that, we can agree. I'm not putting any stock in this one until there's a bit of meat.
    Groucho Marx

AM999's Free Pony Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

I think a 2nd grade book report would be more thorough than Palins "vetting" process.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    This brings up the question:

Who is Sarah's baby's daddy?????
    Ding ding ding!

Winner!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Following the Rovian plan I mentioned in the other thread... I think Palin was vetted properly... these "almost issues" "hinted rumors" are exactly what Rove wanted to put before you and the media.

The Base won''t believe them, chalk it up to left wing lies. The middle will side with Palin, thinking the media (and associating it with the Dems) are just picking on her.. and Sen. Obama's message will be lost in all the tabloid stories and CNN rushing to interview the ex-girlfriend of Bristols soon Fiance, instead of covering Obama's actions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know they're better than the NY Slimes, so maybe you have something. LOL!!!
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

Soon to be banned
    If it's the National Enquirer it just might be true. Those guys check their sources.
    I knew someone was buying that rag...

If they can corner the market on sex and aliens, and be accurate, they will have the world on a string.
    Dogbert.

I>U

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    If they can corner the market on sex and aliens, and be accurate, they will have the world on a string.
    Aliens and Elvis is the Star.

National Enquirer is Monica Lewinsky, John Edwards, and Brittney.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-electi...121383123.html

It's probably a smear. In any case, it's irrelevant to her performance--infidelity only counts in Democrats. But I would SO like to see the video....

In a related matter: It's been a long time since I took Media Law, but it seems to me that since she's a public figure, it's almost impossible to libel her. Without incurring billable hours, can one of you attorneys tell me if that's still the case, and if so, is the McCain campaign's threat of a lawsuit over this just a bluff to appear indignant?
    Sure Palin having had an affair is exciting and all, but the real news here is that Cory reads the National Enquirer!

Pals around w/ humorists
    Aliens and Elvis is the Star.

National Enquirer is Monica Lewinsky, John Edwards, and Brittney.
    Is the Weekly World News still around? That was the only one I read, because it was the most outrageous and they eventually just fessed up and put in a big disclaimer saying it was written "for entertainment value."

Edit: hahah - there's an online version still around.

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/

They even have a Sarah Palien photo and

The Alien’s rebuttal of McCain’s lobbying has left the Republican Party fuming. After eight years of unwavering support for President Bush, his refusal to put his weight behind Senator John McCain blindsided the party.

On hearing of the Alien’s decision to back Obama, McCain pointed an accusing finger at President Bush, insiders say. The senator from Arizona is reported to have blustered: “The Alien has been a staunch Republican supporter for the past 28 years. Bush’s bungling drove him into the other camp.”
    Groucho Marx

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by magicant
    Is the Weekly World News still around? That was the only one I read, because it was the most outrageous and they eventually just fessed up and put in a big disclaimer saying it was written "for entertainment value."

Edit: hahah - there's an online version still around.

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/

They even have a Sarah Palien photo and
    The print paper went out of business - last year, I think.

/Not that I keep track of these supermarket tabloids...

RoadBikeReview Member

and
    Would you hit it?
    before or after John Edwards?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast