Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Women in combat missions - agree or not?

So what do you people think about this development?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe it's long overdue.

Women have been exposed to combat for decades, but because they weren't occupying a "combat billet" in terms of military staffing, they've been at a disadvantage in terms of advancement and assignments.

Candidly, the old model of "front lines" and "rear echelons" hasn't existed for decades...if not in a gray area back in WWII, certainly since Viet Nam and forward.

While the military is often cited as a catalyst for social change (think in terms of integration, etc.), in many ways we're still mired in "the way things have always been." In the past several years, much of that has been wiped away--and for the better IMO.
    Bill

“You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing...We can make the best or the worst of it."

Master debator.
    I support it. It's about time imho.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I'm not familiar with how the military works. What exactly is changing here? Were women not getting danger pay or something?
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is my understanding that women were not allowed in certain jobs dealing with combat (although many were in similar position already). Yes, they are higher paying jobs and stepping stones to higher positions, but I guess they are also deemed more dangerous.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Just let me know when they'll start forcing females to register for selective service at age 18.

banned
    Shudder to think what will happen to a female captive/prisoner in Afghanistan they treat their own women like animals just imagine what these islamofascists would do to an American female combat soldier prisoner.

Hell look what they did to our ambassador Arab media reports: US Ambassador was anally raped by Muslim mobs before being murdered, paraded in streets - Israel Insider

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
    Shudder to think what will happen to a female captive/prisoner in Afghanistan they treat their own women like animals just imagine what these islamofascists would do to an American female combat soldier prisoner.

Hell look what they did to our ambassador Arab media reports: US Ambassador was anally raped by Muslim mobs before being murdered, paraded in streets - Israel Insider
    OMG, that makes me sick to my stomach.

99% of women do not belong in a combat role. They are physically weaker then men and will have a more difficult time handling their kit. In a combat zone men don't need to be worrying about watching out for the female beside him as well as himself. Secondly women, by nature, are more nurturing. This trait may result in a woman hesitating at firing a weapon that could jeopardize her comrades.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    OMG, that makes me sick to my stomach.

99% of women do not belong in a combat role. They are physically weaker then men and will have a more difficult time handling their kit. In a combat zone men don't need to be worrying about watching out for the female beside him as well as himself. Secondly women, by nature, are more nurturing. This trait may result in a woman hesitating at firing a weapon that could jeopardize her comrades.
    I'm too old and too old school to think this is a good idea but I do disagree with you on that nurturing thing. Women will pull the trigger on you as quick as men. Not sure their physical limitations will come into play. If the training program doesn't get softened so they can pass it It would seem they would be as capable as men.

It just ain't right.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

See Jessica Lynch.

Back to the topic....
    as long as the same standards apply to women as they do men. Not all men are physically AND mentally capable in a combat environment. or even getting there... ie hiking the mountains with all the gear. Not everyone has the luxury of a vehicle getting to a position
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I guess I don't get what's going on here. There have been female combat medics for a while now, right?
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    I guess I don't get what's going on here. There have been female combat medics for a while now, right?
    I don't know, have there? Actual combat assignments with infantry units?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    as long as the same standards apply to women as they do men. Not all men are physically AND mentally capable in a combat environment.
    I agree as long as they don't lower the standards then I seen no reason to allowing women who WANT to be in that environment to do so.

you can put me in a fox hole with g.i. jane / demi moore anytime

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree as long as they don't lower the standards then I seen no reason to allowing women who WANT to be in that environment to do so.

you can put me in a fox hole with g.i. jane / demi moore anytime

You'd get your ass kicked.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    I don't know, have there? Actual combat assignments with infantry units?
    Yeah, I thought so.

Ok, here. Story from the Battle for Mosul.

For Female GIs, Combat Is a Fact

So, it seems this is basically the pentagon changing official policy to reflect reality. Doesn't seem too controversial.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    You'd get your ass kicked.
    He already gets his ass kicked by Ms. Hello Kitty. As for women in combat YES if the overall standards remain unchanged. Maggie Q qualifies any time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My take, let the men fight the hells of war.

Chivarly, You know.

As pointed out above, I wonder if my 14 year old daughter will have to register for selective services?

I heard Isreal tried a while back, and it didn't work. Have not researched that one yet.

(As a side note, This new format is killing me, I wanted to just post, not follow up someone else's comments, Ugggg)

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Were any of you, that have posted so far, even in the military (besides AF and Coast Guard)? Most of you don't know sh!t or think you do by reading Soldier of Fortune and watching too many John Fricken Wayne movies. Jeezus H Christ!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Were any of you, that have posted so far, even in the military (besides AF and Coast Guard)? Most of you don't know sh!t or think you do by reading Soldier of Fortune and watching too many John Fricken Wayne movies. Jeezus H Christ!
    All right there tough guy, what's your take? Since it obviously takes military service on your résumé in order to offer an opinion on this topic.

Gees manetty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I am a veteran, but not US army.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

Women in combat missions - agree or not?

ironically.... the hardest academy to get into is... the coast guard academy
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith View Post
    All right there tough guy, what's your take? Since it obviously takes military service on your résumé in order to offer an opinion on this topic.

Gees manetty
    I was in for 20 years...3 wars....got several t-shirts. My experience is mostly with Navy and Marines.

Like most of my fellow Sailors and Marines, we don't like to talk about it much...especially the details.

No, women can't consistently and for sustained periods of time carry the same load (items wise) as men.

Scenario: a platoon of average male Marines hike with a 70-90lb pack for 20 miles in rugged terrain...day after day....you think a platoon of average female Marines can do the same? No fricken way! No, they don't get to carry less items than a man because they are smaller. A Marine is a Marine is a Marine. You are all required to haul the same laundry list of items. I have talked to many of today''s young female Marines about scenarios like this....they just give me this "are you fricken kidding me" look. Granted, there may be a few female Marines (way above average...most of these would probably find it hard to pass a gender exam) that could hang the first day or two...but, after that...all bets are off. A greater percentage of female Marines could not perform in the same combat environment as male Marines...yes, a certain percentage of these fail as well...but no where near the same percentage as women that would. This is why female bootcamp (physicality-wise) if much different than male bootcamps. If women were (really) equal to men in this regard, they'd have mixed gender companys in bootcamp. They say they don't have them now because of the hanky-pankly/distraction problem...that's just a cover for what I talk about above. Lastly, male Marines would (off-the-record) tell you there are two very distinct sets of (unwritten) standards.

Edit: I am not against women in combat....I say let them all go to war just like men. Just don't make ANY exceptions that the men don't get. Once you start seeing dividends on this, you will see change again.
    Last edited by RTSO2112; 01-24-2013 at 04:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like we argree on this one. Well, How about that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougclaysmith View Post

Gees manetty
    Nop, it doesn't take service to have an opinion but it helps one to have an informed opinion.

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Nop, it doesn't take service to have an opinion but it helps one to have an informed opinion.
    What's a "nop"? Is that like "poast". If so, we're good.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast