the other Derek

Nicole Freedman Retires from Pro Racing

Nicole Freedman announced her retirement from professional bike racing today. As one of the peloton's most lustrous characters throughout 12 years as a pro, Freedman matched a sharp, self-deprecating wit with an intense competitive drive...

Nicole Freedman
    photo: Phil Marques
    BOSTON (May 23, 2006) Nicole Freedman announced her retirement from professional bike racing today. As one of the peloton's most lustrous characters throughout 12 years as a pro, Freedman matched a sharp, self-deprecating wit with an intense competitive drive, harnessed them to a savvy business instinct and succeeded brilliantly as a racer, coach, manager, and general industry influencer. She arrived at her decision to retire because of what she describes as her dream job coming to fruition.

"I was working part-time for the City of Boston to look at plans to bring a citywide cycling festival," said Freedman. "My boss asked me if I would go full time. I said 'no.' He asked a month later and it occurred to me, 'what am I waiting for? This is exactly what I want to do going forward, I better jump on this opportunity while I have it!'"

Freedman collected her pro license in 1994, the same year she rode as a member on the first ever all-women's team to compete in the Race Across America (RAAM). Since then her career has become one huge constellation of standout highlights including earning a berth on the Sydney Olympic team in 2000, becoming a two-time US National Champion, winning a stage in the Tour of New Zealand and winning more than 40 professional NRC races. Behind the scenes, Freedman cemented her reputation as a leader - both on the bike and off - when she helped evolve and manage teams including Odwalla, Treo, Schwab and most recently the buzz-worthy Ford-Basis. In addition to racing and managing teams, Freedman founded her own coaching service, which grew at near light speed pace by word-of-mouth from her adoring clients.

Without racing and training tugging at her schedule, Freedman will be able to dedicate more time to her current passion, Hub on Wheels (HOW). HOW is a citywide ride created in conjunction with Mayor Menino's office to showcase Boston's many diverse neighborhoods as well as its parks, greenways, neighborhoods, and waterfront and to promote urban biking in general. Visit: www.hubonwheels.org for more information.

Freedman made her debut this year as a calendar girl for the inaugural Jewish + Female = Athlete wall calendar presented by the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute. As "May," Freedman got to brag to friends, family and fans about her pin-up stint however some scoffed at the project in disbelief since there couldn't possibly be enough Jewish women athletes to fill a calendar. As one of the most colorful characters from J + F = A, she will prove naysayers wrong once more since she's been invited back to appear as "April" with a fresh, new crop of athletes in the calendar's second edition.

-End-

Media contact: Wendy Booher media@boohermedia.com +1-617-308-2500
    Attached Images Attached Images