SONOMA, Calif. (Sept. 13, 2007) - San Francisco’s Chris Phipps secured his second consecutive victory at the Infineon Raceway Summer Twilight Cycling Series on Tuesday.
Phipps battled Novato’s Mark Weir for most of the eight-lap race but managed to pull away late to score his fourth win in six twilight races this year — his other two wins came in the Spring Twilight Series held last April and May.
“Last week, most of the guys were not attacking, but this week, the other guys were pushing early,” said Phipps. “The competition was tighter this week, which always makes it fun.”
Other winners from Tuesday included Fairfax’s Matt Chaney (Content Works, B Group), Liz Hatch (Vanderkitten, Women’s Division) and Petaluma’s Ethan Weiss (Z Team, Junior Division). In all, 55 cyclists competed for more than $200 in cash and prizes. All competitors raced on Infineon Raceway’s challenging 12-turn, 2.52-mile road course, which is usually reserved for the speed and power of the NACSAR NEXTEL Cup Series, among other motor racing series.
The third round of the Summer Twilight Cycling Series returns to Infineon Raceway on Tuesday, Sept. 18. More than $1,200 in cash and prizes will be awarded throughout the four-race summer series, which culminates on Sept. 25. Registration opens at 5 p.m., and the race starts at 6 p.m. Cost is $15 per competitor. Juniors 18 and under ride for free.
For more information, visit www.infineonracewaycycling.com or call 800-870-RACE.
Summer Twilight Race Series
12-turn, 2.52-mile course
A Race (8 laps)
1. Christopher Phipps (Z Team, San Francisco)
2. Mark Weir (WTB Racing, Novato)
3. Todd Hennings (Pacific State Bank, Napa)
4. Tim Farnham (Nebraska Medical Center, Petaluma)
5. Jamiel Danesh (Kodak, San Francisco)
6. Nick Wierzba (Eagls Cycling Club, Napa)
7. Murat Ozgur (Kovarus/Squadra Quest, San Rafael)
8. Mike Charleton (Republic of Anaerobia, Windsor)
9. Will Campbell (SLO News, Napa)
10. Jonathan Lee (Eastside Cycles, Santa Rosa)
B Race (8 laps)
1. Matt Chaney (Content Works, Fairfax)
2. Eric Bost (Arts Cyclery, Rocklin)
3. Eric Fischer (Unattached, Albany)
4. Bill Beers (Pegasus/Vander Berghe, Danville)
5. Donald Seymour (Metro Mint Cycling, Sausalito)
6. Douglas McKenzie (Fighting Bobas, Santa Rosa)
7. Hans Gouwens (Z Team)
8. Rich Gelshi-Medeot (WTB Racing, Novato)
9. Paul Dyrwal (Z Team, San Rafael)
10.Dan Shore (Z Team, Mill Valley)
Women’s Division (8 laps)
1. Liz Hatch (Vanderkitten, Delray Beach, Fla.)
2. Emily Zell (PROMAN/Paradigm, Stinson Beach)
3. Anna Davenport (Ultimate Fitness/Village Peddler, Mill Valley)
4. Michelle Baumuartner (San Anselmo)
5. Laurel Green (Team Mack Racing, Graton)
6. Karen Rehder (WNA Mountain Bikes, San Rafael)
7. Renee Capriola (Sonoma)
8. Jeanne Walles (Sonoma)
Junior’s Division (8 laps)
1. Ethan Weiss (Team Swift, Petaluma)
2. Ryan Eastman (Team Swift, Petaluma)
3. Christian Miller (Team Swift, Novato)
4. Nicolas Otter (Tiburon)
source: John Cardinale, www.infineonraceway.com]
Results 1 to 1 of 1
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »