RoadBikeReview Member

15 Pounds - still the rule... still?

I weighed my bike last week - because the scale was there. With pedals, two bottle cages, Garmin forward mount (did take the computer off), tail light clip... it weighed 16.13 pounds. Oh, it's a 61cm too. I'd bet my bike is heavier than the most of the newer, Dura-Ace laden, carbon wheeled bikes I see every weekend. And to think my, mostly Ultegra, Ksyrium-shod Addict SL is only 1 pound "overweight" according to the USI (Weight of the bike not less than 6.8 kg)... seems nuts.

I'm amazed that all of the pros' bikes are still having to be weighed down to get them up to the 15.99 pound minimum. The rule made sense 20 years ago - to protect riders. But when the average amateur's bike is getting near the UCI's minimum weight... they've got to reevaluate that rule.

I know it's come up - at the UCI. Anyone know if the rule is scheduled to change? Was it evaluated and decided to remain at 6.8?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: 15 Pounds - still the rule... still?

We wouldn't have aero bikes like the Venge if not for the weight rule. It forces people to innovate in other areas as well, like stiffness to weight ratio.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Even my aluminum allez weighs in at just over 15lb (~5oz) with pedals, cages and garmin mount. If I slapped some light tubies on it'd easily reach into the 14s.

AJL
    Rock on!
    Yeah, probably is starting to suck for the tiny climbers. I imagine that Kittel is O.K. with that rule though
    “In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.”
    – Erwin Schrödinger, 1948

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    ugh... guys have already built bikes that are just barely over 10lb, using all off the shelf components anyone could buy. So 15 lbs is quite porky by weightweenie standard. But I wouldn't wanna ride a 10lb bike though because it's most likely a fragile one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Yeah, probably is starting to suck for the tiny climbers. I imagine that Kittel is O.K. with that rule though
    no kidding. If I'm only 130 lbs, I'd be a little pissed if I'm made to ride a bike weighing the same as somebody 180 lbs!

Sep 2007
    On the TdF coverage this morning, they said that race radio indicated that bike weights would be checked at the end of the race. Then Contador had a mysterious second bike change ...
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
    On the TdF coverage this morning, they said that race radio indicated that bike weights would be checked at the end of the race. Then Contador had a mysterious second bike change ...
    I thought that was very strange as well. He gets on a non-numbered bike after the first ascent and then once race radio gets on and says, hey, bikes are going to be weighed, he gets back on his numbered bike. Very interesting.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I thought that was very strange as well. He gets on a non-numbered bike after the first ascent and then once race radio gets on and says, hey, bikes are going to be weighed, he gets back on his numbered bike. Very interesting.
    No need to worry - I'm sure the mechanic will add the necessary ballast inside the seat tube before the car reaches the UCI control.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post

Nice that the warned them unlike at the women's Giro were they did not and one rider who is super tiny got booted I under stand rules are rules but that was a bit silly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my understanding is that he had one bike change near the top of the fist pass of L'Alpe D'Huez, that he used for descent when he tried to break away from Froome, and then had another bike change at the bottom, prior to the second climb. If so, it would make more sense that he opted for heavier, lower-geared bike at the top of the climb, optimized for descent, and then swapped for light bike for climbing again.

If the conspiracy theory is that he swapped for "lighter than 15 lbs" bike for the descent and then swapped back to regular, "heavy" bike for the climb then he really is an idijt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I weighed my bike last week - because the scale was there. With pedals, two bottle cages, Garmin forward mount (did take the computer off), tail light clip... it weighed 16.13 pounds. Oh, it's a 61cm too. I'd bet my bike is heavier than the most of the newer, Dura-Ace laden, carbon wheeled bikes I see every weekend. And to think my, mostly Ultegra, Ksyrium-shod Addict SL is only 1 pound "overweight" according to the USI (Weight of the bike not less than 6.8 kg)... seems nuts.

I'm amazed that all of the pros' bikes are still having to be weighed down to get them up to the 15.99 pound minimum. The rule made sense 20 years ago - to protect riders. But when the average amateur's bike is getting near the UCI's minimum weight... they've got to reevaluate that rule.

I know it's come up - at the UCI. Anyone know if the rule is scheduled to change? Was it evaluated and decided to remain at 6.8?

6.8kgs is 14.99 pounds, not 15.99.

I disagree. I don't think the rule is that ridiculous. Your bike is still quite a bit over the limit, by the way. You would need to spend hundreds if not over a thousand dollars to bring it under UCI limit.

What the rule does is discourages companies from pushing the limits and possibly cutting corners to save a few grams on components here and there which may compromise safety and in many cases performance. As others pointed out already, this has forced companies to innovate in other areas, such as better aerodynamics, especially for cross-winds, wider wheels, more varieties of "comfort"/"endurance" bike geometries, more versatile bikes for example for touring or cyclocross, that can accept larger tires, can be equipped with fenders, panniers etc.

Since regular public lusts over what is available at the Tour, and most regular joe-shmoe riders weigh a little more than Quintana this is a reasonable approach, in my opinion.
    Your reference to Ultegra and Ksyriums (each cost about $1,000 each) as if this was the crappiest choice of components possible sort of highlights the real problem.
    Most people out there should not be riding carbon wheels. Ever. They don't really need Dura Ace and would be fine on 105s. They shouldn't try to get their bike to 15-lb UCI limit, they should try to get their own weight to reasonable value and their training to 10-20 hours a week or whatever limit.

If you want to build yourself a 10-pound to dominate local town-sign sprints during Tuesday night world championships, go for it, UCI is not stopping anyone. But at least we don't end up with millions of freds demanding 10-lb fragile bikes from their LBS. Who will then blame LBS when their crabon wheels delaminate on descent (happened to two of my teammates on a single ride recently) or crap out from hitting a pothole during their 17 mph time trial in carbon aerobars setup on top of 30 spacers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I once built up a Bianchi T-Cube with Record and Mavic CCUs. Even with a Quarq power meter and Garmin 500, it's about 14.6lbs. I think it was 14.1lbs with some Enve 2.5 tubulars. Nothing on my bike was listed as the ultimate in light components. It's a 51cm frame and I'm 120lbs.

AJL
    Rock on!
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    I once built up a Bianchi T-Cube with Record and Mavic CCUs. Even with a Quarq power meter and Garmin 500, it's about 14.6lbs. I think it was 14.1lbs with some Enve 2.5 tubulars. Nothing on my bike was listed as the ultimate in light components. It's a 51cm frame and I'm 120lbs.
    120 lbs!!! You must really hate cross winds!
    “In an honest search for knowledge, you quite often have to abide by ignorance for an indefinite period.”
    – Erwin Schrödinger, 1948

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    120 lbs!!! You must really hate cross winds!
    With a passion.