Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Andy Schleck doesn't like going down hill

8K views 92 replies 50 participants last post by  godot 
#1 ·
“I’m pretty disappointed, but if this is what people want to see, a race decided on a downhill,” Andy Schleck said. “I don’t think that. A finish like this should not be allowed.”
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...e-schlecks-race-themselves-into-a-hole_184992

You're right Andy, lets finish every stage up a hill. In fact, lets just race up hill all day and only take the team bus down after the stages. Lets cancel the stage if it rains. Lets never have a sprint finish. Lets never have a TT.

I, in fact, like my winners to be good overall riders. Its good to have skills beyond the pedal a bike fast up hill. I thought the four mountain top finishes this year would be too many, but obviously the GC riders didn't make much use of the first two anyway.

#5 ·
Come on - he may have a point. Not that I agree with it 100%, but one could argue that it is reasonable for GC contenders not to take crazy risks on technical downhills in bad weather. I would like for the race to be decided on who has the best fitness, not who is willing to take the most risks.

#4 ·
Ya know...Im much more in Andy's camp on this topic than Id like to admit. I think the organizers do try to make the course "the story" and make it a bit too complex at times. The Crotsis descent is one of those times. That ridiclous stage in the Giro with 22,000 feet of climbing that took eight hours to finish is one of those times. Heck, even including the cobbles in last year's Tour could to some...be considered one of those times.

But today..... is defintiely NOT one of those times.

Shut up and race, Andy.

#6 ·
I really try to buy into him, but there is something I just can't put my finger on that keeps me from going full in on him. His body language on the bike is something I have a hard time watching. I have to admit I am rooting for Cadel. That dude has been the bridesmaid one too many times. he ain't pretty, but I think he can taste it and will do everything it takes.

#9 ·
55x11;3458877I would like for the race to be decided on who has the best fitness[/QUOTE said:
Isn't there more to bike racing is more than just fitness? Tactics? Bike handling?

Are technical TT's unfair? A less fit rider that can corner could easily beat a more fit rider, and the more fit rider could then whine that the winner took too many risks. (we should ask Rasmussen about this)

Who gets to decide when a descent is too scary and should be neutralized? You'd get very different answers from Sammy and Andy. Luckily, Il Falco is retired.

#23 ·
Who gets to decide when a descent is too scary and should be neutralized?
Who gets to say something when a descent is too scary (=dangerous)? I think riders should be able to say something. Without couch potato fans like you and me calling them whiners when they do.

If Schleck thought the course was too dangerous, he should be able to say so - just because he happens to lose time as a result does not disqualify him from an opinion.

I admitted in original post, I am somewhat split on this topic. I have NOT ridden the descent in the rain, but neither did you. To declare his complaint as whiny is wrong. I think this type of feedback is something tour organizers should consider seriously, not make it custom-made for fans who want to see more dangerous descents for entertainment value.

#10 · (Edited)
Contador lost a few seconds to Evans after putting in all the effort on the climb. Did I hear him bit*hing?

Voeckler lost time to Evans, Contador and Sanchez. Did he whinge and whine about the parcours?

Andy is fast looking like the spoilt brat who can't take losing. And I think today might be clarifying in his own mind that he isn't going to win the Tour this year. Or even take second to Bertie and hope for a CAS present in August.

#16 ·
This race is about all aspects of racing. That is what makes it, the Giro, the Vuelta, so special. They test everything a bike rider can do, not just who's in the best shape. Personally, I can't believe how bad some of these riders are at bike handling. It blows my mind.

#18 ·
I think this might be one of those "in the heat of the moment" comments, much like Farrar's about Cav taking car rides up hill. They caught A.Schleck right after the finish when he learned of his time losses, was wet (doubled his weight), tired, cold and probably quite emotional. He was speaking his true mind likely, but still something we shouldn't totally judge him on. Now his descending skills we saw, YES, that's something we can judge him on...and on that he seems to suck. The TT, we'll see Saturday.

I still like the guy, although not a beastly rider like Cav, Thor or even Cadel now, but he's still a good rider (up a hill, with no shifting, rain, bad wind, or fast attacks like el Pistelero).

#20 ·
New strategy

What if the Schlecks tag team the descent? First Andy goes fast while Frank is more careful. Then Frank bombs some wet corners while Andy puts on some warm rain gear and so on. Surely after that, Evans and the others will be just exhausted and the sun will come out.

Reactions: qatarbhoy
#22 ·
Andy seemed to be afraid of getting Beloki-itis. I suppose it's somewhat understandable considering that descent ruined Beloki's career. Of course it was blazing hot and sunny that day. If only ASO would man up and put some controls on the weather - what are they thinking?

OTOH, we got treated to another display of Andy motioning the MJ to ride more aggresively on the climb. Very dooshy.

JSR

#25 ·
In the last year Lance did the Giro they complained that on one of the descents they were hitting 70 mph in wet conditions on a chase toward the finish. I can't say that's the case today but there's been plenty of times where Tour and other large race organizers have not fully taken into account the speeds the riders will hit descending and not always take into account doing it in poor weather conditions. Though it is pretty widely known the Schlecks can't TT or go downhill very well... But this all becomes moot if Andy or Frank can pop away from the group on one of the true mountain days.

#27 · (Edited)
When did the toughest athletes in the toughest race in the world become such crying wankers?

No more Andy on my Fantasy team...

Jens needs to slap some "man" into him!

#30 ·
I know that there are times when one should complain about dangerous descents etc, but not after suffering on a climb. I can understand a heat of the moment comment, but the team director backs you up and it is repeated away from the finish line it just sounds spoiled.

There is an inherent risk at all times while riding a bike, and I think this year tour proves it more than ever. In a race there will be times when it is riskier, and those that are the most successful will reap bigger rewards. Some have the nerve to handle a wet descent and some do not. End of story and if you cant handle those areas as well you plan for them and make up for it somewhere else. If not you will lose time...

#33 ·
If pro cycling is just a fitness test, we might as well watch triathlons - those guys really take competitive exercising to the next level. :rolleyes:

#35 ·
Yes 55x11, there are times to take dangerous conditions serious and who better to voice these than the riders. I just don't see this applying to this descent. It has been ridden many times, yes Beloki had a major fall, but scores of riders made it around fine. Some are able to push the limits and some are not. This is in all areas of cycling and other sports. There are serious risks with most sports, so then we have to ask where do you draw the line? You have a couple of options when descending on a wet course, slow down and reduce the risk, or go all out and accept the risk. Was this hill dangerous, or was it the conditions? If you shorten the course because of wet conditions only then you set a complicated precedent. If all it takes are a few complaints then down the road many unique and yes risky features could be in danger of being eliminated (neutralized finish instead of a wet sprint, only entering towns/cities that have no 90 deg bends, TT on dry only, on and on and on.. The section that was eliminated during the Giro is one that stands on its own because of the overall condition of the route,, eliminated rightly so.

#36 ·
53x11 -

I updated my previous reply, to recap - I never said anything about denying a rider the right to express their opinion. The point I was trying to make is that different riders see risks differently. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The TT question was a hypothetical based on your assertion that you want to see the fittest rider win. There's a lot more than just fitness that goes into winning a race. You seem to be shifting your argument away from that assertion.

I like that riders sometimes say controversial things, at times that part is more interesting than the actual racing.

Andy lost time today because of a known weakness, I'm entitled to my opinion that he's whining, as much as you are that I'm 100% wrong.

#38 ·
Bass, totally understand where you are coming from and don't question that at all. Sorry to hear..

We all, yourself included, take the same risk every time we are on the bike. This is magnified quite a bit during the tour because of the 3 week coverage of so many miles, so many riders. This particular tour has proved these dangers are present during the entire route not just the wet sweeping descents..

#41 ·
I loved that video of Cancellara bombing that descent through the cars. It's part of the sport and these guys know it when they sign up. If Andy doesn't want to take the risks he'll have to make it up elsewhere. I still won't question his courage.

That said, I'm glad putting food on the table doesn't involve risking my life. Some of the marginal riders or tweeners really don't have a choice if the want glory or a big contract. I'm amazed that the carnage is relatively tame given what these guys do.

#39 ·
That is pretty dang sad BassNBrew, no matter what the sport.

Courage (also bravery, fortitude, or intrepidity) is the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation. "Physical courage" is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, death, or threat of death.

Both definitions fit all our riders in the TdF this and every year. Fitness (IMHO) has little to do with courage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.