Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

The annual Garmin tour team thread

These have always been fun in the past, so I thought I'd kick it off for this year. Riders are showing their strength at ToC and the Giro and we should get an idea of who's in over the next couple weeks. Who do you think makes the team?

Roster: Garmin-Barracuda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Locks:
    CVV
    David Millar
    Tyler Farrar
    Robbie Hunter
    DZ
    Tom Danielson (assuming he doesn't completely implode this week)

Likely:
    Christophe Le Mevel- Its been reported he didn't ride the Giro in anticipation of the Tour. Also, he's french.
    Dan Martin- A good showing at the Vuelta raised his chances and Sideburns eventually needs to see whether all that potential is for real.

Outside looking in:
    Haussler- Unless Farrar has some good results by mid June, Haussler won't be needed as a leadout. Isn't his whole season set up around the Olympics anyway?
    Johan Vansummeren- A great domestique, but no results this year hurts his chances.
    Sep Vanmarcke- It would be good to include him to boost his chances of staying at Garmin next year, but he doesn't really fill a need. Besides, even Boonen is skipping le Tour this year.
    Fab Wegmann- Useful as a domestique?
    Talansky/Stetina- Too young
    Alex Rasmussen- Only if there was a TTT.
    Maaskant- Same problem as Sep, only he's older.
    Thomas Dekkar- A mildly successful comeback, but he's probably looking at a Vuelta spot.

Out:
    Ryder Hesjedal- All his efforts will be at the Giro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    i wouldn't say Farrar is a lock...

your text here
    stetina might make the cut, but they could be worried he is too burned out from the giro. farrar is most likely in. this will probably keep haussler out. then again, with boonen not in the tour...

vansummeren could be there.

tommy dekkar
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    stetina might make the cut, but they could be worried he is too burned out from the giro. farrar is most likely in. this will probably keep haussler out. then again, with boonen not in the tour...

vansummeren could be there.

tommy dekkar
    Stetina is only 24, do you think they'll run him in back to back GTs?

your text here
    Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111 View Post
    Stetina is only 24, do you think they'll run him in back to back GTs?
    no, i dont. thats why i said might make the cut but they might be worried about the giro. then again, garmin doesnt make the greatest decisions when it comes to choosing riders for races. ask thor.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Honey Smack!
    Ramunas Navardauskas would be an outside shot as well.

Van Summeran is also probably in, IMO.

Without checking to see if Talansky is in the ToC or Giro (can't remember at the moment), if he's in the ToC I'd say yes for tour, but if it's Giro, probably not.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

Get me to In&Out
    Dan Martin is likely. He was left out of Giro and ToC, and he did perform quite well last year in the Vuelta when he was left out of the Tour. I don't think bobble head will leave him out again. Lets not forget the Haussler soloed to a stage win for a damn long way in the Tour a few years ago. How many other riders for Garmin can say they have won a stage at the Tour already?
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Where's that GPS?
    I've previously been unimpressed by Garmin, but I have to admit that Garmin is doing really well lately - what a contrast to so-called "Superteams" Radio Shanty and BMC!
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    They have been doing better this year and last. Thor definitely made the TDF for them last year but they did well at this years Giro winning the TTT and having Ryder in pink for a few days. At least CVV hasn't crashed out yet...

One thing I have noticed about all these so-called superteams is that they are never very "super" the first year or two despite all the hoopla and spin but if the talent/leadership is good and the organization can coalesce things usually start coming around sooner or later. Sky is finally starting to show what their capable of and Garmin is slowly getting better results.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjw View Post
    Sky is finally starting to show what their capable of and Garmin is slowly getting better results.
    That's a bizarre comparison if I ever saw one. One team starts as a US development squad (TIAA-CREF) and works it way up bit by bit. The other got thrown a huge amount of pounds and was asked to buy whoever they wanted.

edited: garmins budget is around 8.5 Meuro, whereas SKY is around 15 Meuro.....
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    That's a bizarre comparison if I ever saw one. One team starts as a US development squad (TIAA-CREF) and works it way up bit by bit. The other got thrown a huge amount of pounds and was asked to buy whoever they wanted.

It wasn't a comparison. I was just keeping the post relevant to the OP by commenting on Garmin as well as the comments about "superteams." Apparently I should've drawn more of a distinction between the two in my post...

Where's that GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post

See New York Yankees - huge budget (the Sky of baseball) - yet other teams with smaller budgets have beaten them to the World Series trophy consistantly.
    Proves big-budget does not always equal consistant good results.
    That said, I'm sure Sky's big wallet isn't hurting them!

In a bit of an aside - shouldn't we consider that different teams seem to have various ideas of what "success" means - some are happy with a stage here or there, some want to win as many smaller races as they can, while others seem to focus almost exclusivly on the Tour de France. Sky seems one of the most ambitious in that they seem to want it all - plus Olympic Gold.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

Honey Smack!
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjw View Post
    It wasn't a comparison. I was just keeping the post relevant to the OP by commenting on Garmin as well as the comments about "superteams." Apparently I should've drawn more of a distinction between the two in my post...
    Well, when you included Garmin in the same paragraph as your superteams comment, it's kinda hard to not think you were saying Garmin was started as a super team, which they weren't.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dan Martin should be in, but I think the concern there is his durability. Great climber, but he has bad allergies and is more prone to weird physical issues than even Tommy D.

Farrar is definitely not a lock. He is not on form and they may be wasting a slot on him. Therefefore Hunter is probably not a lock as well.

Haussler is not really on great form, and hasn't been the same since Cav wrecked him a few years ago..... although he did seem to channel Tyler at the TOC by getting second place a great deal. Maybe racing in a GT will put him back over the top physically

lastly, Ramunas is a total workhorse and I think he returns based on his performance last year. I have not been following him that closely so I have no idea what his form is. I am pretty sure he is in the Giro now and may have been in pink as a result of the TTT.

Garmin may be better off with a team that focuses on a high GC placement this season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylint View Post
    Well, when you included Garmin in the same paragraph as your superteams comment, it's kinda hard to not think you were saying Garmin was started as a super team, which they weren't.
    Good point about Martin. Whats up with all the fragile boys on Garmin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Johan Vansummeren- A great domestique, but no results
    A good domestique doesn't get good results, he helps his leader get good results.
    Ryder Hesjedal- All his efforts will be at the Giro.
    He's going to be exhausted for sure. He's riding a tough Giro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it has to do with JV's penchant for fixer uppers. None of these guys are Andy Schleck fragile though, and they can actually descend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    They talked about Ryder still coming as a helper only, guess it depends on how well he recovers.

The course seems to favor CVV (at least a healthy CVV) more than Tommy D, but I still think they'll use them as co leaders.

They'll have the usual suspects in Millar and DZ.

Agree or not, Farrar will be there, so that means at least 2 helpers for him. Hunter, maybe Fischer or one of the Kreders.

I think one more climber, Martin is the obvious choice, maybe Tom P, or Dekker.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    If Ryder can recover, they might bring him as a helper for the mountains. God knows he has shown tha the can ride them this week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's my guess. Heavily weighted toward GC with Farrar getting a little assistance from Haussler and all-rounders Millar and Vansummeren.

Dan Martin was very close to making last year's squad and he did well in the Vuelta, so I think he gets in this year unless he has a terrible pre-TdF race.

Danielson is in based on #9 last year and ToC podium again this year.

1. VDV
    2. Hesjedal
    3. Farrar
    4. Zabriskie
    5. Millar
    6. Danielson
    7. Martin
    8. Haussler
    9. Vansummeren

Stetina has definitely earned consideration but I don't think they want to subject him to consecutive GTs at his young age.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tazzmacd View Post
    If Ryder can recover, they might bring him as a helper for the mountains. God knows he has shown tha the can ride them this week.
    Ryder had a fantastic race the last couple weeks, but I don't think Garmin will push him to do the Double. Even if they did, I think Ryder has his eyes on the Olympics.

Milk was a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonmoth View Post
    Here's my guess. Heavily weighted toward GC with Farrar getting a little assistance from Haussler and all-rounders Millar and Vansummeren.

Dan Martin was very close to making last year's squad and he did well in the Vuelta, so I think he gets in this year unless he has a terrible pre-TdF race.

Danielson is in based on #9 last year and ToC podium again this year.

1. VDV
    2. Hesjedal
    3. Farrar
    4. Zabriskie
    5. Millar
    6. Danielson
    7. Martin
    8. Haussler
    9. Vansummeren

Stetina has definitely earned consideration but I don't think they want to subject him to consecutive GTs at his young age.
    I'd like to see them leave Farrar off entirely. What's the point of getting 3rd place on a sprint stage? Focus on GC because I think there's a legitimate opportunity with Contador gone and far too much ITT for the Schleck sisters.

I've always thought VDV could make a decent run at GC if he could only stay healthy long enough. He's running out of time, so I hope he can make it happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unless Farrar doesn't recover from his Giro crash, he's a lock for several reasons, namely his TdF performance last year and his "legacy" status on Garmin. Yes, that matters and is why Millar and Zabriskie also get in each year, regardless of condition.

I agree that TF won't be able to make a dent against Cavendish, Greipel, Kittel (will he be in this year?), and probably Petacchi but they'll still need to put him on the team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ryder had a fantastic race the last couple weeks, but I don't think Garmin will push him to do the Double. Even if they did, I think Ryder has his eyes on the Olympics.
    I thought it was already announced as part of his program that he would be in the TdF? He won't be riding for GC position but he could definitely be a good helper in some of the stages. Kind of like what Savoldelli did a while back for Discovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I wonder how much pressure will be on the team now that they have a Grand Tour victory under their belt? There is no way Ryder can do the double from a GC perspective, but from all accounts, it's in his hands as to whether or not he races.
    1. VDV
    2. Danielson
    3. Farrar
    4. Millar
    5. DZ
    6. Martin
    7. Hunter
    8. Hes J
    9. LeMevel

Should Hes J not race, they'll probably bring someone to help the sprint train and/or do the pace making, Fischer, Vanmarcke, Summi, or Navardauskus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast