Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    mosca
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Pretty trivial compared to your average NFLer. Yet some feel the need to bring it up over and over again.

How many NHL players have killed people while drunk driving? I can think of a couple, one Dan Heatley is still playing. Do you ask him why he killed someone every time you hear his name?
    yes, NFL players are bad men, I get it, you've forgotten the NBA. first time I've ever posted about Tom's indiscretions.

don't know who Dan Heatley is, don't care, the NHL is pretty trivial to me.

the point is the in the context, please review.
    do you know the word for fly in Italian?

mosca
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorX91 View Post
    Your question: Tom, why did you do those lines of coke?

My answer: "Because he's human."

In other words, he's human therefore he is not infallible. Do you think you're infallible?
    you're out of context. the question is in relation to "because I can". it's that sort of mentality that can get one in trouble, pretty simple stuff really. I enjoy his racing exploits, I hope he doesn't get in trouble or disrespect his rivals, that can come back to bite you.

yes, thanks. humans make mistakes... it doesn't excuse them.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoojin View Post
    you're out of context. the question is in relation to "because I can". it's that sort of mentality that can get one in trouble, pretty simple stuff really. I enjoy his racing exploits, I hope he doesn't get in trouble or disrespect his rivals, that can come back to bite you.

What is your problem? Getting a little high in the off season is not some huge indiscretion. Especially considering some of the other choices facing pro cyclists. He didn't get in trouble because of the consequence of his occasional recreational drug use. He got in trouble because it turned up in the course of the over-zealous drug monitoring that goes on in pro cycling. He's not a cheater, he's not a criminal, and as far as we know, he hasn't hurt anybody. Either physically or emotionally. Except for Roger De Vlaeminck.

Get off it, it isn't even any of your business anyway.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

mosca
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post
    What is your problem? Getting a little high in the off season is not some huge indiscretion. Especially considering some of the other choices facing pro cyclists. He didn't get in trouble because of the consequence of his occasional recreational drug use. He got in trouble because it turned up in the course of the over-zealous drug monitoring that goes on in pro cycling. He's not a cheater, he's not a criminal, and as far as we know, he hasn't hurt anybody. Either physically or emotionally. Except for Roger De Vlaeminck.

Get off it, it isn't even any of your business anyway.
    harshing your chill? you don't have to pay any attention to my opinions.

equivocation for our sports heroes is reaching new lows nowadays ("at least he's not so and so sports figure who beats his wife and tramples puppies"). you could also point to the examples of sports figures that don't have those kinds of indiscretions. yes, it is an indiscretion to get caught using an illicit drug. as far as "over-zealous drug testing", you can take that to another forum. "he's not a cheater"- again- to another forum.

What Roger DV said was sour grapes from a sour old man.

we'll agree to disagree that sports heroes are role models for good or bad and that makes it public business.

warrrrrrrgh!!!

equivocation for our sports heroes is reaching new lows nowadays ("at least he's not so and so sports figure who beats his wife and tramples puppies"). you could also point to the examples of sports figures that don't have those kinds of indiscretions. yes, it is an indiscretion to get caught using an illicit drug. as far as "over-zealous drug testing", you can take that to another forum. "he's not a cheater"- again- to another forum.

we'll agree to disagree that sports heroes are role models for good or bad and that makes it public business.
    So, you are saying the mistake he made was getting caught? Why is getting wasted on 10 beers in the private company of close friends ok, but taking a recreational drug a huge mistake? Why is having a teenaged girlfriend ok, but not a bump of coke?

Again, he isn't Lindsay Lohan, getting wasted and driving his car into a bunch of people. His private life was forced into the public sphere because of drug testing and he still won races.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

I see trees of green

No, it is you who is out of context.

Boonen truthfully answered "because I can" to a very specific question about his approach to how he won the 2012 Paris-Roubaix road race and you're trying to make it into some larger issue that encompasses a previous private/person health matter involving substance abuse for which he has apparently taken full responsibility for including getting professional medical treatment.

No worries though because you're human too.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!

Sports heroes are sports heroes, not role models. Parents are role models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Why is having a teenaged girlfriend ok, but not a bump of coke?
    one is legal the other not?
    Blows your hair back.

Yo no fui.
    So any sports performance is subject to an apparently mandatory discussion about whether the athlete is a good or bad person? That's a bit much.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Who gives a sh!t if he did coke at some point. Was he on coke when he won? Was Sky smokin spliff? Boonen won, nobody else had the goods, simple as that. The chase couldn't mount a response, but even more so nobody could match his performance. Tom, in top form, gave 110% and it showed.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    one is legal the other not?
    Sorry, not good enough. Laws don't define morality. Case in point, you show me a person who has never once broken a law at some point.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrider22 View Post
    Classic interview moment. Sherwin interviewing Boonen after his win on Sunday asking Boonen why he rode off the front at 55km to go: Boonen first replies "Because I can" then realizes most likely that the reply, while true, was perhaps a bit cocky, and softens it with a more detailed explanation. Certainly, on Sunday, he could do whatever he wanted.
    I think he has earned the right to say this in an interview. The way he just rode away was very, very impressive. It is especially amazing considering he didn't have to do it.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by J24 View Post
    But then Fabby C has never single handedly destroyed the Sky Professional Cycling Team
    I seem to recall Cancellara on some pretty lonely rides near Roubaix.

I also seem to recall seeing Boonen getting caught out in slower groups.

Boonen knew with Cancellara out that no one could stay with him on the cobbles. It was a great effort and amazing to watch, but there will always be a "what if" (which goes with the territory in bike racing).
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Just watched this, Boonen rode like a machine. Incredible ride, very inspiring except I would only be able to ride about 60 seconds like he does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    I think he has earned the right to say this in an interview. The way he just rode away was very, very impressive. It is especially amazing considering he didn't have to do it.
    So true. What an unreal performance. I would love to someday see a documentary on this year's classics following TB and team.
    "you know that thing in your mind that says "I probably shouldn't be doing this"...we don't have that." - Mark Cavendish

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    I seem to recall Cancellara on some pretty lonely rides near Roubaix.

I also seem to recall seeing Boonen getting caught out in slower groups.

Boonen knew with Cancellara out that no one could stay with him on the cobbles. It was a great effort and amazing to watch, but there will always be a "what if" (which goes with the territory in bike racing).
    There's always next year.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Boonen truthfully answered "because I can" to a very specific question about his approach to how he won the 2012 Paris-Roubaix road race
    Another context:
    English is not Boonen's 1st language, maybe not even his 3rd.

"Because I can" more than likely meant, "Because I was able to do it this time". Boonen has never been outwardly cocky or conceited. I'm surprised everyone is so quick to deny him the benefit of doubt here.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

I see trees of green
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    Another context:

"Because I can" more than likely meant, "Because I was able to do it this time". Boonen has never been outwardly cocky or conceited. I'm surprised everyone is so quick to deny him the benefit of doubt here.
    This also ^

mosca
    So, you are saying the mistake he made was getting caught? Why is getting wasted on 10 beers in the private company of close friends ok, but taking a recreational drug a huge mistake? Why is having a teenaged girlfriend ok, but not a bump of coke?

Again, he isn't Lindsay Lohan, getting wasted and driving his car into a bunch of people. His private life was forced into the public sphere because of drug testing and he still won races.
    I'm saying we know he was using *because* he was caught. if he wasn't caught, we (the public) would not have known.

I don't know how beers got into the discussion, but if you want to discuss illegal and legal drug use- take it to another forum. who said a teenage girlfriend was ok? you seem to be having a lot of internal dialogue. As a father, I wouldn't want Tom or any other adult male dating my 16 year old daughter.

Lindsay Lohan is your example? really? at least Michael Vick would've been a sports figure.

mosca

Boonen truthfully answered "because I can" to a very specific question about his approach to how he won the 2012 Paris-Roubaix road race and you're trying to make it into some larger issue that encompasses a previous private/person health matter involving substance abuse for which he has apparently taken full responsibility for including getting professional medical treatment.

No worries though because you're human too.
    ok, I'll break it down for you. oftentimes when a sports figures reach an elevated level of power, fame and financial wherewithal, many things seem permissive because they are readily available. you've heard about how power corrupts? pretty basic psychology.

Tom was previously living in Monaco, a playground for the rich and famous. Tom got caught twice (seeing a pattern here?) and was almost charged criminally and out of cycling. that would have been a real shame and I hope he's gotten the help he needs. If I comment on him from my perspective, I'm allowed. If you take issue with my sarcastic jab at him, well, then you do.

but, then again we'll assume you're human as well. we can play rubber and glue games all day but that's tiresome.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I'm saying we know he was using *because* he was caught. if he wasn't caught, we (the public) would not have known.

I don't know how beers got into the discussion, but if you want to discuss illegal and legal drug use- take it to another forum. who said a teenage girlfriend was ok? you seem to be having a lot of internal dialogue. As a father, I wouldn't want Tom or any other adult male dating my 16 year old daughter.

Lindsay Lohan is your example? really? at least Michael Vick would've been a sports figure.
    Don't give me that crap, if you don't want to discuss drug use, don't bring it up in a cycling forum. jerk.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

mosca
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    Sports heroes are sports heroes, not role models. Parents are role models.
    oh boy, Charles Barkley has joined the forum.

ok, we disagree. I tried to emulate Walter Payton, Bill Buckner, Bruce Sutter, Dan Gable and Greg LeMond.
    Since I grew up without my father around my grandfather was my greatest influence but the above athletes had a strong influence on my life on and off the field for what they did.

mosca
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    So any sports performance is subject to an apparently mandatory discussion about whether the athlete is a good or bad person? That's a bit much.
    I don't know where you got "mandatory discussion". I made a comment based on my opinion and I hope Tom *keeps his nose clean*, I love watching him race.

mosca
    Quote Originally Posted by davidka View Post
    Another context:

Boonen has excellent English.

He is cocky.

mosca
    Don't give me that crap, if you don't want to discuss drug use, don't bring it up in a cycling forum. jerk.
    name calling isn't necesary. the drug use reference was ancillary to the original line of "because I can".

you seem to want to debate wether "recreational" drug use is right or wrong, I'm not interested in that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast