Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What Would Google Do.

C.Evans - A good reason why you shouldnt race with a PM, or just a crap racer?

Watching him during the Dauphine (or should that be deadpan?) it seems like he spends his time watching his watts or speed, or dare I say it his Hr
    he seems less worried about whether he can 'go any harder' than asking the PT if he can when he looks as it during the finish of mountain stages, and hard climbs.

And when the guy *attacks* he STILL makes it look like he's actually trying to stay on someones wheel!
    He just has Zero snap/kick, and tries to ride everyone off his wheel...but yet doesnt let the effort last long enough for the sustained effort to do 'it's work' (it seems)
    Guy needs a new coach or something!

Or is that what you get when you spend all your time worrying about the numbers rather than racing
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

Lemur-ing
    I'll tell him how to race or ride when I (or for that matter, 100s of other pros) can place 2nd in the TdF despite not having a good enough support team.

And then, I'll whine about my teammates.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    landis used a PM during his now infamous breakaway, didn't seem to limit him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleendurance
    Watching him during the Dauphine (or should that be deadpan?) it seems like he spends his time watching his watts or speed, or dare I say it his Hr
    he seems less worried about whether he can 'go any harder' than asking the PT if he can when he looks as it during the finish of mountain stages, and hard climbs.
    have you heard of the pedal bicycle race called the tour de france that he is training for?
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    have you heard of the pedal bicycle race called the tour de france that he is training for?
    Yep and have you heard that Sastre is also doing that one to? yet didnt hold back at the Giro. Have you also heard that he (they) are allowed to win races while building their form too?
    Armstrong was a case in point for this, he's won the Dauphine in the lead up to some of his tour victories in 2002 and 2003.

I know what your saying though, but I still think he just doesnt really have a kick.
    I mean he was trying to shake off conti and Valve today wasnt he? maybe he's just knackered!

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've called Evans a wanker many times before on this forum but thought he actually rode the last 2 stages in non-wanker style. He tried over and over today to shake Valverde off his wheel a day after dragging the rest of the group up Ventoux into a wicked headwind (Valverde had help yesterday in a 2 man break). He's never shown that aggression in the past. He also beat Valverde to the line - they were contesting the finish. That's no small feat given Valverde's kick (they also gapped Contador).

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    He also beat Valverde to the line - they were contesting the finish. That's no small feat given Valverde's kick (they also gapped Contador).
    I hear your points, but Valve was hangin today, he was rockin so much I thought he had bungy strapped to his headtube and his front wheel was trying go get traction on ice!
    but Evans doesnt seem to get it, in order to drop someone you need *rapid* acceleration (power) and not ramping up force (strength) to get the gap,
    otherwise he's just dragging the guys he's trying to 'attack' with him

of course when the 'list' is published it could turn out that Valv and Conti are on it and Evans isnt, in which case I would forgive Evans

___

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Today's stage was brilliant - a war of attrition, cycle racing of the highest quality. Evans took both Valverde and Contador to "hell". They hung in there - but only just. If Evans can hit them again tomorrow it will be a great Finale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I don't like Evans, but he makes the most of what he's got.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    He'll never win. Why? Because he always has an excuse. Today it was all I could do "against two Spaniards working together."

lint picker
    Evans is more of a grinder, a diesel like Leipheimer. Not really an attacker, just sets his own pace and hopes people start splintering off behind him.

extremely biased
    Jun 2005
    Evans didn't have a powermeter during the stage.

Starnut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by albert owen
    Today's stage was brilliant - a war of attrition, cycle racing of the highest quality. Evans took both Valverde and Contador to "hell". They hung in there - but only just. If Evans can hit them again tomorrow it will be a great Finale.
    That's the way I saw it too. They made it a very entertaining climb. Both Spaniards were really pushed to respond. They did, but they either didn't have the motivation or the ability to counter. As a sportsman, I don't care for Evans, but if he doesn't win, at least he won't be wondering "What if?"

banned

And when the guy *attacks* he STILL makes it look like he's actually trying to stay on someones wheel!
    He just has Zero snap/kick, and tries to ride everyone off his wheel...but yet doesnt let the effort last long enough for the sustained effort to do 'it's work' (it seems)
    Guy needs a new coach or something!

Or is that what you get when you spend all your time worrying about the numbers rather than racing
    Are you sure you're watching the 2009 Dauphine? Because you seem to be watching a different race than the rest of the cycling world is watching.

You heard about the whole analog-to-digital thing, right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Maybe that is the best he can do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I'm more optomistic for Cadel in the Tour now than I was before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    He's not an explosive type of rider and that's not by choice but ability.

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by haikalah
    He'll never win. Why? Because he always has an excuse. Today it was all I could do "against two Spaniards working together."
    He said that right?
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Lemur-ing
    I hear your points, but Valve was hangin today, he was rockin so much I thought he had bungy strapped to his headtube and his front wheel was trying go get traction on ice!
    but Evans doesnt seem to get it, in order to drop someone you need *rapid* acceleration (power) and not ramping up force (strength) to get the gap,
    otherwise he's just dragging the guys he's trying to 'attack' with him

of course when the 'list' is published it could turn out that Valv and Conti are on it and Evans isnt, in which case I would forgive Evans
    Erm.. If you don't have that sharp of a kick, how the hell do you kick?

You can't ask Jeremy Wariner to outsprint Usain Bolt in a 400m. He'll grind his victory out.

Same with a 5k runner vs a 1500m runner.

And, he was attacking again and again and again.. You actually thought he WANTED Contador and Valverde to stick with him?

He ramped the pace up - many, many, many riders would be dropped. All but those with a good acceleration to keep up and of course, a greater engine to maintain that pace.

The reason he dragged the guys with him is because he gave all he could, repeatedly, but those guys are also stronger apparently. That's not his fault.

Jeez man. It's like blaming a distance runner for not sprinting away when his fastest sprint isn't anything compared to a 800m runner's kick.
    Allez United!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah he said that. He's got to whine. According to cyclingnews:

This time, Evans will not be accused of not attacking. He constantly put pressure on Valverde in an attempt to win the Dauphiné. But each time when he looked back, it was Contador closing the gap on him. "I did what I could but that was not enough," said Evans. "The last climb was not really that selective and there was no more I could do against two Spanish guys racing together."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...phinelibere097

What he says is true. (Well I don't know about the climb being selective or not.) Leader of the race, and guy wanting to hang on to third will have interest in working together. Being same nationality helps. That's racing. But someone needs to tell Cadel to leave the race analysis to the writers and commentators. When the racer starts doing the race analysis, it looks like he is making excuses and whining. Especially if the racer is know for whining and making excuses. He should have stopped after "I did what I could but that was not enough."

banned
    I think there are quite a few people posting on here who obviously didn't watch the last 3 stages of this year's Dauphine.

I'm no Evans fan, but the way he raced the last 3 stages has been quite a departure from his usual wheel-sucking careful approach.

It certainly bodes well for an exciting TdF.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    the way he cocks his head weird bugs me

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by shocktch45
    the way he cocks his head weird bugs me
    you should have seen mancebo!

___

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Attacking off the front is poor strategy. No wonder he couldn't get away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikef00l
    Attacking off the front is poor strategy. No wonder he couldn't get away.
    yes, it's much better to attack off the rear. Much easier too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast