Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cavendish 5'9" 152 lbs vs. Evans 5'9" 150 lbs

5K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  den bakker 
#1 ·
I find this to be pretty interesting as one is a powerful sprinter and one is a GC guy.

Do you guys think Evans is a little heavy for his height?

#6 ·
I wouldn't waste your time assume wikipedia/internet listed weights and actual race day weight are the same.
Just with 10 seconds of googling right now I found Evans listed as 140 and 154.

I know it's tough to judge weight by appearance but I'm 5' 8" 150 pounds and I'd look like a fat NFL lineman next to Evans so I doubt he races at 150.

#9 ·
Actually what prompted me to post this thread was that one of the Eurosport commentators on the Giro broadcast (stage 16) mentioned how both Cav and Evans are of the same height and weight yet they're totally different rider. They mention it's genetic, different muscle type, muscle density, etc.

And the fact that Cav seems to have bigger quads, and Evans seem to be a little top-heavy compared to Cav, makes it even more remarkable that Evans is such a great GC guys (GC guys are all about W/kg).

Someone up there said Evans is a great TT guys because he's heavy. But then Cav is also heavy, and he's a terrible TT guy. And then there are other skinly and lanky guys (eg, Wiggins, Froome, Nibali) who are just as good or better than Evans. So seesm like muscle type make-up (genetic) plays a big role.

#10 ·
Genetics, training progression over the years and hence muscle recruitment patterns,
individual instinctive pedalling habits and body language on the bike while producing
wattage, psychological adaptations to stress interacting with all the above...

#16 ·
Keep in mind Cadel is a former mt. biker. He's got the grind it mentality from years of racing xc mt biking.

#25 ·
Cadel is 150? LOL!

Ive riden with him a few times, he is borderline anorexic. Stand next to someone in cycling clothing or go riding with em and you will see how skinny they are in real life. Presentation photos get photoshopped cos sponsors don't want to be associated with anorexia. Riders flex their arms and rotate them out so they appear more masculine.

The camera adds 20lbs. Just ask any Hollywood celeb or youtuber. ;)

These guys are all rain thin and weights are often tweaked so fans don't develop eating disorders trying to emulate the racers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.