Nat
    RoadBikeReview Member

Fassa Bortolo jersey colors?

Fassa Bortolo has blue/white jerseys but in stage 11 one of the riders had a red/white/green jersey. What gives?

toomanybikes
    He is the National Champion of Luxembourg and is wearing national colours.

Nat
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    He is the National Champion of Luxembourg and is wearing national colours.
    Ahh, I see now. Thanks.

Ti me up
    Man, ya gotta love that! It kicks my twisted sense of humor into high gear. The "national champ" thing sounds so impressive, but Luxembourg's population is smaller than Fort Worth's, and half the size of Tarrant County (where FW is located).

Now, clearly, Kirchen is on a whole different level than a old, slow guy like me, but it does get the mental wheels turning...is there a country out there small enough that I could score one of those national championship jerseys? There's only like 35,000 people in Lichtenstein - is the nat'l champ slot taken? (Yeah, probably even in that 35K people there's somebody faster than me.) Or how about screwed up countries? I wouldn't try Nigeria - they've got all those high-zoot bikes their "shipping agents" come and pick up from the cashier's check scams - but I mean, how tough can the competition be for nat'l cycling champ of Sudan? Maybe the secret is all in picking the right country, and we could all be national champions of someplace.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

Cat Herder
    to wear the national team jersey you have to be from that country. For example, while other riders actually win the US Championship race, the first American gets the jersey (Fred Rodriguez in the US).

RoadBikeReview Member

Yep...

but almost all of the European National Champ races only have their nation's riders in them. At least they get the joy of seeing the race winner win their national championship :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal
    to wear the national team jersey you have to be from that country. For example, while other riders actually win the US Championship race, the first American gets the jersey (Fred Rodriguez in the US).
    You don't have to be from there, or even a legal citizen in most cases, just have your racing license from that country.

There is an Italian rider named Guido Trenti who has never lived in the USA but he holds a US Pro license and is listed as from the US in any event he enters. It's funny, but he doesn't even speak a word of English. Don't ask me how he qualified for his US Pro license, maybe he married a US woman, I don't know. But for years he was the only "American rider" in the Giro.

Russ

OK, post scprit.... before I posted this I just looked him up... his mother is American. He currently rides for Fassa Bortolo and rode for the US in the World's in Zolder in 2002 and in Hamilton last year. He won the Tour of Langkawi in 2001 and has riden the Giro 5 times and the Vuelta 4 times, but never the Tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did some more looking and found another site that has his Palmeres... it seems he didn't win the Tour of Langkawi in 2001 but won a stage in it in 2000 and won stage 19 of the 2001 Vuelta.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member

Yes but...

For the USPRO race in Philly you don't even have to hold a racing license from the US. At least in Italy, France and Germany, if you want to ride in their National Championship you have to hold a racing license issued by that country.

Quote Originally Posted by russw19
    You don't have to be from there, or even a legal citizen in most cases, just have your racing license from that country.

There is an Italian rider named Guido Trenti who has never lived in the USA but he holds a US Pro license and is listed as from the US in any event he enters. It's funny, but he doesn't even speak a word of English. Don't ask me how he qualified for his US Pro license, maybe he married a US woman, I don't know. But for years he was the only "American rider" in the Giro.

Russ

OK, post scprit.... before I posted this I just looked him up... his mother is American. He currently rides for Fassa Bortolo and rode for the US in the World's in Zolder in 2002 and in Hamilton last year. He won the Tour of Langkawi in 2001 and has riden the Giro 5 times and the Vuelta 4 times, but never the Tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torquecal
    For the USPRO race in Philly you don't even have to hold a racing license from the US. At least in Italy, France and Germany, if you want to ride in their National Championship you have to hold a racing license issued by that country.

You missed the point... it's not that Trenti has raced CoreStates... it's that he has never lived a day in the US of A yet he has a US Racing License. He lives his entire life in Italy, doesn't speak English, and he is listed as a US rider. Look at the Giro standings, he's listed as Trenti, G. (USA). He raced for the US National Team in the World Championships, but he is by all accounts (except his International Racing License) an Italian. It's not like I am talking about Gord Frasier racing the USPRO race... I am talking about an Italian racing as an American in the eyes of the UCI. If Trenti won the USPRO race, he would wear the stars and stripes jersey... not the next best US finisher. If he beat out Fred Rod, Trenti would be the US National Champ, not Freddy.

So my point was that you don't even need to be from or live in the country you race for. Just have to have your license from there. I could qualify under their national federation rules to race for Ireland even though I have never set foot on Irish soil becuase my grandparents are Irish citizens. I would actually qualify to race my bike for Ireland or even to play for Ireland in Soccer's World Cup if I were good enough and they wanted me. Some countries have different rules... Ireland, I would qualify because I have a grandparent who is a citizen. Trenti's mom is a US citizen so he can race for the US... even though he is by all other accounts Italian.

I understand the point that Luxemburg's National Road Championships are open to only riders from Lux, and with the USPRO race, any nationality rider is welcome, but the US title only goes to the best US rider. My point is that being a "US Rider" is nothing more than the listed country you race for on your International License... and it is that way with other countries. So there actually is a chance someone on this board could qualify to race the Luxemburg National Road Race depending on their heritage and their racing license.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member

I think you might've...

simplified it. As it stands right now Pettachi could enter the USPRO but Armstrong could not enter the Italian National Champs race. It's as simple as that.

Now, if Armstrong "wanted" to ride the Italian Champs, I suppose he could, but he'd have to jump thru the hoops of getting an Italian sanctioned racing license. ANY UCI licensed Pro can enter the USPRO champs - that makes it's a rather unique event in the National Championships arena. In most countries the winner of their race is their champ... that's not often the case in our championships.

12 strings, no waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by 633
    Man, ya gotta love that! It kicks my twisted sense of humor into high gear. The "national champ" thing sounds so impressive, but Luxembourg's population is smaller than Fort Worth's, and half the size of Tarrant County (where FW is located).

Now, clearly, Kirchen is on a whole different level than a old, slow guy like me, but it does get the mental wheels turning...is there a country out there small enough that I could score one of those national championship jerseys? There's only like 35,000 people in Lichtenstein - is the nat'l champ slot taken? (Yeah, probably even in that 35K people there's somebody faster than me.) Or how about screwed up countries? I wouldn't try Nigeria - they've got all those high-zoot bikes their "shipping agents" come and pick up from the cashier's check scams - but I mean, how tough can the competition be for nat'l cycling champ of Sudan? Maybe the secret is all in picking the right country, and we could all be national champions of someplace.
    I get the sarcasm, but so what? They had a race, 35 Luxembourgers showed up, and one guy won. He's the national champion, and he gets to wear the jersey. It wasn't like they picked a name out of a hat.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?.../luxembourg042

By the way, as road national champion, he is required to wear the jersey. He will be fined by the UCI if he doesn't.