Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Giro thread part II, the empire strikes back

that finishing climb looked like absolute hell!

anyway, nibali looked great, and i am loving evanss's recovery from a tough 2012. wiggins's bike change essentially cost him the stage victory, it seems, but still not out of it. hesjedal was the big loser, methinks.

also, can someone shed light on this quote by dowsett (the part in bold, that is...)?

"It was quite a harder TT than I expected; without a doubt, the hardest in my life. I took some extreme gears, a 55-29.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I live in the southern US. Is there anywhere I can get the giro on live feed or video playback. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Scarponi finishes 43 seconds behind Wiggins on a 52-km ITT and ahead of Ryder Hesjedal. Scarponi has really improved his aero position on the TT bike this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Geedee View Post
    I live in the southern US. Is there anywhere I can get the giro on live feed or video playback. Thanks
    Be In Sport is carrying the race:
    - Get beINSport | beIN Sport US

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    also, can someone shed light on this quote by dowsett (the part in bold, that is...)?

"It was quite a harder TT than I expected; without a doubt, the hardest in my life. I took some extreme gears, a 55-29.

I take it to mean that both his highest (55) and his lowest gear (29) were on the "extreme" ends for a TT. It means he was riding a 55\39 on the front and maybe an 11-29 or 12-29 on the rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    It says not in my area. With u-verse.

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by Geedee View Post
    2013 Giro d'Italia Live Video, Route, Teams, Results, Photos, TV

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    I take it to mean that both his highest (55) and his lowest gear (29) were on the "extreme" ends for a TT. It means he was riding a 55\39 on the front and maybe an 11-29 or 12-29 on the rear.
    thanks, j.r.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh no, Ryder, what happened to your cycling legs today?????????
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Oh no, Ryder, what happened to your cycling legs today?????????
    I think Hesjedal is an honest Ryder. Remember, this is a guy who is on top form right now (look at his effort in L-B-L final 20 kms).
    2011 SuperSix Hi-Mod
    2010 Stevens Carbon Cross
    2010 CAAD8 Cyclocross (sold)
    2009 SuperSix (retired)
    2008 SystemSix (sold)
    2008 SuperSix (retired)
    2006 Six13 (retired)
    2004 Bianchi Giro (sold)

Good Person
    I had a feeling before the stage that Wiggins might be a little more sore from his fall than they (Sky) were letting on. He rode a good time trial and I was impressed with how much time he took back in the last part. It just wasn't his day today.

Nibali was serious when he said he spent a lot of time working on his ITT through the winter. That improvement might give him that little bit extra to turn him into a real Grand Tour powerhouse. I'm a fan of Nibali; as an American I really appreciated it last year when he was racing in the United States (I think in Colorado) and attacked a lot and animated the stages. When asked why he was being so aggressive, he commented that he felt that the other European guys in the race were being disrespectful by riding it like a grandfondo and that a lot of fans were coming out and deserved the respect of seeing some racing. Classy guy.

That was a hell of a ride by Scarponi; I did not expect him to make such a jump in the GC during a long time trial. He really came to this race with the intention of winning it and has been racing well. He would be on the virtual podium right now were it not for the time he lost on the stage three crash.

Evans is looking really good. It will be interesting to see how his form holds up as the Giro goes into the high mountains. The fact that he was the fastest guy in the race up the steep pitch in the end might be telling. The uphill time trial at the end of the race might favor him. If he is climbing well and can hang on to the other big contenders in the mountains, he probably has the best sprint out of all of them, which looks good for him and time bonuses. The question for me is what happens if Evans does something crazy like win the Giro this year? Does that confirm him as the protected leader going into the TDF or does conventional wisdom about the difficulty of doing the Giro/Tour double stage him as a superdomestique for TVG?

I love the Giro.
    I like when you get to that point and I donít know if itís the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize youíre so far from where you started, that youíre finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb View Post
    I had a feeling before the stage that Wiggins might be a little more sore from his fall than they (Sky) were letting on. He rode a good time trial and I was impressed with how much time he took back in the last part. It just wasn't his day today.

Nibali was serious when he said he spent a lot of time working on his ITT through the winter. That improvement might give him that little bit extra to turn him into a real Grand Tour powerhouse. I'm a fan of Nibali; as an American I really appreciated it last year when he was racing in the United States (I think in Colorado) and attacked a lot and animated the stages. When asked why he was being so aggressive, he commented that he felt that the other European guys in the race were being disrespectful by riding it like a grandfondo and that a lot of fans were coming out and deserved the respect of seeing some racing. Classy guy.

That was a hell of a ride by Scarponi; I did not expect him to make such a jump in the GC during a long time trial. He really came to this race with the intention of winning it and has been racing well. He would be on the virtual podium right now were it not for the time he lost on the stage three crash.

Evans is looking really good. It will be interesting to see how his form holds up as the Giro goes into the high mountains. The fact that he was the fastest guy in the race up the steep pitch in the end might be telling. The uphill time trial at the end of the race might favor him. If he is climbing well and can hang on to the other big contenders in the mountains, he probably has the best sprint out of all of them, which looks good for him and time bonuses. The question for me is what happens if Evans does something crazy like win the Giro this year? Does that confirm him as the protected leader going into the TDF or does conventional wisdom about the difficulty of doing the Giro/Tour double stage him as a superdomestique for TVG?

I love the Giro.
    Great analysis, I couldn't agree with you more. Like 100% of what you said is spot on in my opinion. The racing has been great thus far and I am hoping that the Evans vs. Nibali battle animates things even more from this point forward.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Finally got caught up with the Giro today. All the GC players are at the front after the long TT. Blanco may be as strong as Sky, and who is the Astana (Estonian) Kangert ? What a great support for Nibali ! Cadel has always been able to hold his own without much team support, hope he stays healthy. A Ryder repeat would be sensational with this field. Scarponi and the Columbians are there to keep it hot and interesting if Wiggo can't attack or descend.

The 10 day forecast for N Italy shows many good chances of rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Love the Giro, and the Italian podium girls are better looking than the TdF and Vuelta.

Why is that everything that comes out of Italy is good looking? bikes, cars, arts, girls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Love the Giro, and the Italian podium girls are better looking than the TdF and Vuelta.

Why is that everything that comes out of Italy is good looking? bikes, cars, arts, girls.

Meh on the podium girls.
    You better have a good looking car when the cost for entry is $150k min.

Affordable Italian cars such as the fiat's are also meh.

Back on topic. Is it me, or is Wiggins the most protected rider? To me his skills are good, but they aren't great.

Froom should have won Last years tour. And two of his giro teammates are being held back in this year's giro.

Honestly if it wasn't for team orders and cancellara hurting himself in last years Olympics, I think he would have had zero accomplishments.

Yet he thinks he can do the double and win any tour he enters.
    Last edited by r1lee; 05-12-2013 at 06:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    That Italian champion's Bianchi is beautiful!

Ryder off the back around 11km to go, along with Wiggo? The cold and rain is affecting these guys. It's really bad weather.

Maybe Sky is going with Uran/Henao and Wiggins was just a decoy all along. He's got to be thinking about that second Tour. Uran/Henao were up front with Nibali and never got sent back to help Wiggo catch on.

Where's that GPS?

Stage Nine - Results

Maxim Belkov (Katusha) wins the stage with Batenkur (AG2R) and Pantono Columbia) in 2nd and 3rd.

Nibali (Astana) goes into the rest day with the Maglia Rosa securely on his shoulders.
    Last edited by LostViking; 05-14-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Not a good day for Hesjedal. Wiggins got back into the Nibali, Evans group after being nearly a minute down after one of the descents fairly close to the end.

Although I would like to be there in person to see the race, I'm glad I'm not on vacation in that weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    This is why the Giro (and Vuelta) is more exciting then the Tour.

Lots of steeps, and lots of fast technical descents. Love it. I like fast techy descents. Hey if cycling is just all about sitting on a saddle requiring zero descent skill, and the outcome is largely determined by who can generate the maximum wattage... well then.. let's just have all these guys race in the gym on those spinners and do a virtual race. Bring on the descent!! Wussies can stay home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The coverage I've been watching (eurosport) seem's to not focus on Evan's that much at all, yet he's right in there. Nibali surely must attack in the mountains to try to pull away from Evan's before the final TT ... this is shaping up to be a great Giro. If Wiggan's can look to give it everything in the mountains to get some success from the Giro, he may add to the dynamic too ..

Good times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StillKeen View Post
    The coverage I've been watching (eurosport) seem's to not focus on Evan's that much at all, yet he's right in there. Nibali surely must attack in the mountains to try to pull away from Evan's before the final TT ... this is shaping up to be a great Giro. If Wiggan's can look to give it everything in the mountains to get some success from the Giro, he may add to the dynamic too ..

Good times.
    nibali won't need much time for the last tt, it's a climb.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Maybe Sky is going with Uran/Henao and Wiggins was just a decoy all along.
    Yep that's why they dropped back on stage 7 to pace wiggins back and lost 1'20" on the rest of the field.

flinty-eyed moderator

Giro thread part II, the empire strikes back

continued from part one:
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Where's that GPS?

Giro Thread Re-Start

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    continued from part one:
    Thanks Coolhand! The fun continues unabated!

Name:  giro_d_italia_logo.gif
Views: 410
Size:  5.3 KB

Welcome to the new Giro Thread which hopefully will take us through the Second Fab Week of the world's best Grand Tour - the Giro d'Italia! Today is the first rest day - tomorrow the spectacolo continues.

Just to re-cap - Bradley Wiggins (Sky) came to this race as the favourite by many to win the Maglia Rosa of this year's Giro - with Sky's dominance on the road and Wiggo's ability at the TT - he was thought to be a shoe-in. Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) was seen as the only man who could concievably rain on Sky's parade. Hejsedal for the repeat was seen as a distict possibility as well. Few thought that either Michele Scarponi (Lampre-Merida) or Cadel Evans (BMC) would be major factors.

With one week of exciting racing in the reiw-view and the power of 20-20 vision, things have become a bit clearer.
    Wiggo and Sky are looking very beatable right now - especially in the wet weather conditions being experianced in Italy these days. Questions are being raised about the unity of the team and the mental toughness of its captain.

Vincenzo Nibali has taken the Maglia Rosa much sooner than anyone expected - this will put pressure on the Astana team to command the front of the peloton and chase any dangerous moves by rival teams. It is unlikely that they will be aided in this effort unless it's a sprinter's stage. Astana may not have the collective fire-power to command the front of a peloton that even Sky has found it difficult to put a damper on.

Ryder Hejsedal (Garmin-Sharp) appears to be struggling at the moment, but may ride himself into better form as the race progresses.

Scarponi and Evans have out-performed most people's expectations, Especially Cadel, who currently finds himself in second place on the GC, looks strong and getting stronger.

Other men to watch include Gesink and Santambrogio. Should Wiggins continue to falter, one can only assume that Henao and Uran will take over the mantle over at Sky - some argue that one of these two might have been in Pink now if they didn't have to wait on and pull back Wiggins - so this will be an interesting sub-plot.

Race Preview:
    Giro D'Italia 2013: The Race Preview | Cyclingnews.com

Startlist:
    Startlist Giro d'Italia 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

Current Top-Ten on GC:
    1) Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) 34:19:31
    2) Cadel Evans (BMC) 0:00:29
    3) Robert Gesink (Blanco) 0:01:15
    4) Bradley Wiggins (Sky) 0:01:16
    5) Michele Scarponi (Lampre-Merida) 0:01:24
    6) Sergio Henao (Sky) 0:02:11
    7) Mauro Santambrogio (Vini Fantini-Selle Italia) 0:02:43
    8) Przemyslaw Niemiec (Lampre-Merida) 0:02:44
    9) Rigoberto Uran (Sky) 0:02:49
    10) Tanel Kangert (Astana) 0:03:02

Current Jersey Distribution:
    Pink - Vincenzo Nibali (Astana)
    White - Wilco Kelderman (Blanco)
    Red - Cadel Evans (BMC)
    Blue - Pirazzi (Bardini Valvole-CSF Inox)

The Official Website (English Version):
    Giro d'Italia 2013 - Official Site - Gazzetta dello Sport

The Remaining Stages:
    Stage 10 - May 14: Cordenons - Montasio, 167 km
    Stage 11 - May 15: Cave del Predil - Erto, 182 km
    Stage 12 - May 16: Longarone - Treviso, 134 km
    Stage 13 - May 17: Busseto - Cherasco, 254 km
    Stage 14 - May 18: Cervere - Bardonecchia, 168 km
    Stage 15 - May 19: Cesana Torinese - Col du Galibier, 149 km
    Rest Day - May 20
    Stage 16 - May 21: Valloire - Ivrea, 238 km
    Stage 17 - May 22: Caravaggio - Vicenza, 214 km
    Stage 18 - May 23: Mori - Polsa (ITT), 20.6 km
    Stage 19 - May 24: Ponte di Legno - Val Martello, 139 km
    Stage 20 - May 25: Silandro - Tre Cime di Lavaredo, 203 km
    Stage 21 - May 26: Riese Pio X - Brescia, 197 km

Information and Press:
    Giro D'Italia 2013: Stage 9 Results | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Giro - ¬ęNous m√©ritons notre place¬Ľ

Bradley Wiggins strijdvaardig: ?Er begint een nieuwe wedstri... - Sportwereld

Peloton Belkov wins Stage 9 of the Giro d'Italia

Wiggins h√•rd ved sig selv: Jeg k√łrte ned som en pige - Cykling

Giro D'Italia: Evans Happy Heading Into Rest Day | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Giro - La (fausse) joie de Betancur

Belkov Secures Second Stage Win For Katusha At Giro D'Italia | Cyclingnews.com

Hesjedal Concedes Time To Giro D'Italia Favourites | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Giro - Hesjedal : ¬ę√áa aurait pu √™tre pire¬Ľ

Ny stor overraskelse: Russisk etapesejr i Giroen - Cykling

Cyclisme - Giro - C√ītes cass√©es pour Vicioso

Weening Tumbles Down Giro Standings In Rain-soaked Day Into Florence | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Kittel et le "Cav" les plus victorieux

Giro D'Italia Rider Galleries | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Giro - Wiggins ¬ęcomme une fille¬Ľ

Nibali: Wiggins And Hesjedal Are Still Dangerous Giro D'Italia Rivals | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Giro - Jeannesson a abandonné

Giro D'Italia Shorts: Merckx Calls Wiggins A Novice, Abdujapaorov And Broken Bones | Cyclingnews.com

Giro D'Italia: 10 Conclusions From The Opening Week | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclisme - Giro - Bouhanni continue

Nibali Awaits Sky's Colombian Offensive | Cyclingnews.com

Wiggins Convinced He Can Still Win The Giro D'Italia | Cyclingnews.com

Degenkolb udgår af Giroen - Cykling

Peloton Degenkolb out of the Giro

Ritwinnaar Degenkolb verlaat Ronde van ItaliŽ - Sportwereld

Video: Giro D'Italia Rest Day With Matt Goss And The Orica GreenEdge Team | Cyclingnews.com

Giro D'Italia Shorts: Wiggins Out Takes, Vicioso Hospitalised, No Surgery For Basso | Cyclingnews.com

Video: Inside The Garmin-Sharp Bus At The Giro D'Italia | Cyclingnews.com

Giro D'Italia Gallery: Rest Day Activities From Astana Camp | Cyclingnews.com

Stage 10: Cordenons - Montasio, 167 km

This high mountain stage features two Catagory 1 climbs, first the Passo Cason di Lanza and then a summit-finish on the Altoplano del Montasio. A true climber's stage which will favor those climbers who can demonstrate huge powerful surges going uphill. I'm thinking that Sergio Henao (Sky) may take a stage victory here unless his team holds him back. Batancur (AG2R) might give it a go as well I suspect. Evans appears to be getting stronger and it would not surprise me if he does well here and remains at par or even takes some seconds on the Maglia Rosa, Vincenzo Nabali here. If Bradley Wiggins can not come in with the lead group here, things will get dicey on the Sky team bus - if they aren't already.

Giro D'Italia: It's Time To Climb | Cyclingnews.com

Giro d'Italia Stage 10 LIVE - Podium Cafe

Stage Profile:
    Giro thread part II, the empire strikes back-giro-stage-ten-profile.jpg
    Last edited by LostViking; 05-20-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hope Ryder can move up, but I fear he is now too far behind.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast