Thread: Hors Category

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Hors Category

Are there "official" definitions of how climbs are categorized or are they arbitrary decisions by the race organization?

It's in the game!
    Somebody here explained to me a few years ago...maybe they will explain again. It had a tiny bit of arbitrary nature but it was mostly the grade and length.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Yes..
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Yes..
    You know you can't just say yes without the guy wanting an explanation now rite?
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

It's in the game!

I can say this

Each race organization has it's own calculation. There is no international standard.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbod
    Are there "official" definitions of how climbs are categorized or are they arbitrary decisions by the race organization?
    they were explaining it on eurosport today

a 2 cat was that the car could climb it in 2nd gear.
    if you needed 1st gear, it was a 1 cat.

but i agree with the others posters.. probably different cars used with different gearing would make it different.. google it.

For president!
    There's no official designations. Sometimes climbs change over the years from an HC to a cat 1 or visa versa.

Beyond grade and length, the location of a climb within a stage can play a part in the ranking.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

Moderatus Puisne
    Right. If they put it at the end of a stage, and it's on the edge, it'll get the bump to the next category.

There are a few climbs -- the Galibier, Mont Ventoux, etc -- that are always HC, whereever they are. Beyond that, it is semi-arbitrary...

gazing from the shadows
    Don't listen to these people. They do it the old fashioned way, for the Tour is nothing if not about tradition. They send a low level pro up the climbs. They tell him to ride it "really hard". At the top, they ask him how it was. They then count how many sentences the pro says in a specific period of time. (sorry, can't remember the time). 4 is 4 sentences, 3, three, and down to one where the guy can just get out a complete sentence. The original scale only had 4 to 1 ratings. But one time, the rider just gasped out, "hors of a climb" before he fell on the ground. That is a fragment, not a sentence. The rating scale that was 4 to 1 had to have a new category, HC. There is a lesson about scale construction in there you know.

All the other reasons for categorizing are propaganda, to hide the French love of torturing low level pros.
    Stout beers under trees, please.