RoadBikeReview Member

Paris-Roubaix bikes: full suspension road bikes?

I guess this was before my time, so I am discovering this for the first time. Never knew Musseuw, Lemond and others experimented with suspension on road bikes for PR:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...evolved/216049

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=836

So - what happened? Was this a good idea abandoned because of bad luck (having nothing to do with the bike)? Or was it a bad idea altogether?

When I watch the slow-motion video of the Paris-Roubaix, and with all the vibrations, I kept thinking that some small amount of suspension may be helpful. Would it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I took the bike that lemond rode out for spin back in the mid 1990s from Premier Cycles of Lakewood CO. It weighed a ton (close to 25 lbs) and accelerated like s sloth. If all of PR were cobbles, it might have been a reasonable bike, but there are just not enough cobbles for a pig of a bike like that to be a contender.

I think with modern technology, a suspension bike could be made that wiehged well under 20 lbs, which would be a nice bike for the cobbleed classics, but that Lemond wasn't that bike..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The 1993 and 1994 winners (Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle and Andrei Tchmil) both had Road Shox forks, but not full suspension. The product ended up not being marketable and production stopped. Many peope said that you'd be better off with fatter tires and double wrapped cork tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think if someone put a pivot at the seat tube and top tube junction it would help a ton.................
    Disclaimer: I work in an awesome Salsa/Surly/Waterford/Gunnar/Ridley/Trek Store.http://nccyclery.wordpress.com/

Dr. Flats a lot
    Uh... you mean what Trek just made and Cancellera was supposed to be riding?
    You're smart but too late.

Domane 6 Series - Feature tour - Trek Bicycle

Not Banned

it was subtle

Quote Originally Posted by zoikz View Post
    Uh... you mean what Trek just made and Cancellera was supposed to be riding?
    You're smart but too late.

Domane 6 Series - Feature tour - Trek Bicycle
    but you need to dial up your sarcasm meter
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dario Pieri also road a Cannondale Silk Road frame with a head shock to 2nd place in 2003.

Dario Pieri 2003 Paris Roubaix | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

USPostal rode treks with a modified monostay with some kind of elastomer rear shock in 2006. But it was the steerer tube that did Hincapie in that year.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    eh, those RS forks are funny, now in retrospect.

All that technology for 1.5" of suspension? Hah! Oi, talk about over-kill and under-kill all wrapped up in one hideous package! Lower pressure tires are much better for the low amplitude, high frequency bumps at PR than an oil/coil fork.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

Milk was a bad choice.
    I'm surprised more people don't ride cyclocross bikes with big ass tires. I know I would, but then again, I'd probably be looking for the broom wagon about five miles in.

Dr. Flats a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    but you need to dial up your sarcasm meter
    Actually I wasn't being sarcastic. Pretty cool he thought of the same idea as Trek did. Well not exactly the same, but pretty novel none the less.

Carless
    Oh the dark time of suspension coming to the market.......sorry prejudice and ride a rigid 29er with fatties for a MTB.

Something like these Jones bikes would be more practical, where a substantial amount of flex is engineered into the frame. I've ridden one and man are they nice! So much stinking fun, and very sexy:drool:

your text here
    trek stole the elastomer design from khs.

man, i remember that pari-roubaix when hincapie went over the bars. if there was ever a year he could win, it was that. he was well placed and had some help around him. ironic it was the steerer tube that sheered off.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erj549 View Post
    I'm surprised more people don't ride cyclocross bikes with big ass tires. I know I would, but then again, I'd probably be looking for the broom wagon about five miles in.
    Boom was riding is usual CX bike last year. Guesdon was also riding an old aluminum lapierre CX bike from 2004.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi all, I had the opportunity back on 3-24-12 to test ride one of the Roundtail bikes on some rough brick roads and found it had a very nice ride - took all the harshness out.

Just thought some might like to see this unique bike.

Later, Axlenut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paris-Roubaix bikes: full suspension road bikes?-testride3.jpg  

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I aint' buying it, sorry.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Actually I wasn't being sarcastic. Pretty cool he thought of the same idea as Trek did. Well not exactly the same, but pretty novel none the less.
    Trek thought of it? Sure it wasn't Moots? I'm just sayin ...

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    LOL......He meant Hand/of/Midas was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokh On View Post
    Moots isn't anything like the Trek set-up. Unless you're talking about some Moots prototype that isn't in production.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokh On View Post
    was moots (and KHS) doing elastometer insert, or was it the hinge on a bearing?
    I am sure TREK didn't invent it or was first, but the hinge on Domane's Isospeed is different from elastometer, and provides 23mm of vertical compliance, which is a huge distance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not UCI Legal!! lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post

man, i remember that pari-roubaix when hincapie went over the bars. if there was ever a year he could win, it was that. he was well placed and had some help around him. ironic it was the steerer tube that sheered off.
    trek does not have elastomer, despite early reports. The rubber piece is to protect bearings from dust/dirt.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    trek does not have elastomer, despite early reports. The rubber piece is to protect bearings from dust/dirt.
    I think he is talking about hincapie's old bike the SPA or whatever.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by axlenut View Post
    Hi all, I had the opportunity back on 3-24-12 to test ride one of the Roundtail bikes on some rough brick roads and found it had a very nice ride - took all the harshness out.

Just thought some might like to see this unique bike.

Later, Axlenut
    Aaaaahhhhhh, my eyes are burning!!!! Wash them out quick!

Besides the owner and his friends, no one will buy this bike* I don't care how good it rides.

*This will exclude any hipster who will ride it ironically

Not Banned

not you

Midas was being sarcastic

Midas was well aware of Trek's bike

Not Banned

all wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    was moots (and KHS) doing elastometer insert, or was it the hinge on a bearing?
    I am sure TREK didn't invent it or was first, but the hinge on Domane's Isospeed is different from elastometer, and provides 23mm of vertical compliance, which is a huge distance!
    it was DeKerf who did the elastomer seat stay, flexing chain stay first. Moots adopted it for the YBB, Ibis perfected it with the Silk Ti and KHS made a cheap knock off

Not Banned

see above

Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post

khs was the last in a long line starting with Dekerf and the Softtail