Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rapha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Unhappy Rapha

The official clothing supplier for Team Sky as of Jan 1 2013? Good grief. I can see them in the Tour, riding along with knickers, Argyle socks and leather patches on their elbows.

Adidas/Nalini was such good stuff. Rapha is no Adidas.

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    The official clothing supplier for Team Sky as of Jan 1 2013? Good grief. I can see them in the Tour, riding along with knickers, Argyle socks and leather patches on their elbows.
    I hope their kits are insufferable.

But they will probably be tastefully understated (boring!) instead.

Get me to In&Out
    Not so sure about understated....

Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    They have some classic design jerseys. I have their blue with orange strip which is quite good. Mile-a-minute. A bit of merino wool for the slightly cooler rides. A bit over priced but some of their stuff looks good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Should be interesting if the design is kept the same, somehow I doubt it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgy View Post
    I hope their kits are insufferable.

But they will probably be tastefully understated (boring!) instead.
    They're British, what do you expect?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    Should be interesting if the design is kept the same, somehow I doubt it.
    Believe it. Sky is a huge media corporation that will control it's brand very tightly. Rapha will make exactly what SKY dictates down to the smallest detail. I would not expect it to look much, if any different than this year.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I wonder if they will rock the silk scarves that Rapha has in their line!

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by gestell View Post
    I wonder if they will rock the silk scarves that Rapha has in their line!
    Before they implement scarves, I hope they consider this first:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    A bit over priced but some of their stuff looks good.
    A bit?
    My wife works for a company that was doing some work for them. She brought home samples that went into production from Rapha approved specs. It was crap. I was happy to give away those samples and keep the same from other no name brands.
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Hate is the new love.

You guys seriously give a sh*t who design the pro's clothes??? It's not like you will have to wear it. As for me, I'm not one to wear uniforms that I don't get paid to wear.

I do, however, very much appreciate the understated British aesthetic Rapha brings to the table. Hopefully they provide a refreshing break from the ADD-challenged look of most pro teams' kit.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.” - Greg Henderson

Now it can be Told! Further Truth about De-evolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never heard of this brand before, maybe because I lived in a 3rd world country. Anyway, will Team Sky change their jersey design next year? Nothing much has changed on their Jersey's since 09'.
    “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by champamoore View Post
    Hate is the new love.

You guys seriously give a sh*t who design the pro's clothes??? It's not like you will have to wear it.
    ^^^THIS^^^ lol ... right?

In fact, look no further than the thread about wearing a pro kit from about 6 weeks ago

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    VERY overpriced IMHO!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    The look will probably remain similar, I believe that the designer behind the Sky look has also done work for Rapha. Some may call it crap, but there are PRO's like Michael Barry who have ridden it off season when they can choose anything and don't need to deviate from team kit. My understanding is that Adidas did not make any of the cycling kit anyway, it was made in Italy by Nalini, similar to the old Nike sponsorships. Now that is crap. Expensive yes, different yes, but that is the point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-an-key View Post
    The look will probably remain similar, I believe that the designer behind the Sky look has also done work for Rapha. Some may call it crap, but there are PRO's like Michael Barry who have ridden it off season when they can choose anything and don't need to deviate from team kit. My understanding is that Adidas did not make any of the cycling kit anyway, it was made in Italy by Nalini, similar to the old Nike sponsorships. Now that is crap. Expensive yes, different yes, but that is the point.
    Pretty sure that Pros have to wear/use team and sponsored stuff even when they are out training for the whole contract year. So, he would be obligated through the end of the year.

For instance in December, you always see pictures of teams training in a warm location with people wearing their old team's kit and riding their old bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    overpriced? maybe. my rapha is still my favorite/best jersey in the closet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    and, fwiw $115-$130 for a jersey, while ludicrous on a general level, isn't that pricey for a jersey in a market where ugly (yet functional) Assos jerseys sell for $300 and people rave about them.

especially good value because rapha jerseys don't look like a telephone company barfed its logo all over your torso.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    some of their stuff looks good.

The Slow One.
    My Rapha team issue bibs are my favorites, and the Merino wool baselayers I have are in constant rotation. I don't particularly like the aethetic design of most of their jerseys, and the last think I need is another one, but I will likely buy another pair or two of their bibs. The Merino wool socks are also on my Christmas list.

You only have so many contact points with the bike, so if you find somehing that works, I consider it money well spent.

As for Sky going with them, it's a no-brainer, given their "British team" aspirations.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    The Rapha Condor Sharp kit looks good, so why shouldn't Sky's do?

Those three stripes replaced by the Rapha "trademark" band on the left upper arm would be highly welcome. Maybe Sky will get white socks too.

Rapha pricing is about equal to Assos in my parts of the world, btw.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

LA CHEVRE
    Overpriced yes, but it doesn't matter to Sky.

About the design, it wont be an all-dressed pizza of logos that's for sure, some like that, some don't, I like that and I expect a classy looking kit. The Rapha-Focus CX kit is probably my favorite team kit... I still wouldn't wear it though, I'm in the school of 'wear a team kit only if you're in that team'.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

Climbs like a sprinter...
    Quote Originally Posted by c_h_i_n_a_m_a_n View Post
    A bit over priced but...
    If $50 for a T-Shirt is a bit overpriced to you I got a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you cheap.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

LA CHEVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxhacksaw View Post
    If $50 for a T-Shirt is a bit overpriced to you I got a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you cheap.
    50$ for a Rapha t-shirt? There's a big sale somewhere?

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Rapha is poor value when you look at how much it costs against how well it functions. There will always be better value at a cheaper price.

I've hopped between several brands of clothing over the years, and for me Rapha is the best you can get. I have some much better value kit that I'll wear on short rides and commutes, but for any long rides it is streets ahead, be it the undershirts, jerseys, shorts or gloves.

Rapha is certainly no Adidas, Cinelli 82220. It is in another league altogether.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast