santos_pons

Saxo Bank - Astana Merger???

I know that cycling news has an article (sorry can't post links yet) saying that Saxo Bank denies it completely, but the same happened when Leopard Trek denied the merger with Radio Shack.

What do you guys think?

With all the mergers and super teams that are forming, It seems that Saxo Bank has been way too slow to reinforce the team so support Contador. I'm not sure if merging with Astana would be the right move.

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by santos_pons View Post
    I'm not sure if merging with Astana would be the right move.
    Why not? The title sponsor Saxo-Bank has been on again, off again with their sponsorship dollars or euros and Contador not winning the TdF hasn't made Riis' predicament any easier. (Unfortunately, for many of these sponsors, the TdF is the only race that matters). Furthermore Specialized bikes may want to go the way of the super-team and having the dough and talent of both teams pooled together would probably be the best way to make this happen.
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

your text here
    it just kinda makes sense. but is it speculation, rumor, or what?
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    it just kinda makes sense. but is it speculation, rumor, or what?
    Well often it is part of the strategy so that if talks did break down they're covered as this "merger" was never real to begin with...as they told us.

The real story IMO is Froome. Yes; amazing form and performance at the V...but does he have the chops to maintain that level? He just came out of thin air from my vantage point but I'd love to see him shine. But at Saxo...?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MG537 View Post
    Why not? The title sponsor Saxo-Bank has been on again, off again with their sponsorship dollars or euros and Contador not winning the TdF hasn't made Riis' predicament any easier. (Unfortunately, for many of these sponsors, the TdF is the only race that matters). Furthermore Specialized bikes may want to go the way of the super-team and having the dough and talent of both teams pooled together would probably be the best way to make this happen.
    I rather feel it has been a good year for Saxobank and Riis. Last year they won nothing but the TT WCH (maybe a few minor races, I don't remember) and the rider left immediately afterwards, this year they won the Giro, and Contador battled on in the Tour despite fatique, crashes, injuries, and little team support. Might have won over more fans. Contador is not inexpensive, but probably cheaper than the Schlecks, Cancellara, and Voigt combined.

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrat View Post
    I rather feel it has been a good year for Saxobank and Riis. Last year they won nothing but the TT WCH (maybe a few minor races, I don't remember) and the rider left immediately afterwards, this year they won the Giro, and Contador battled on in the Tour despite fatique, crashes, injuries, and little team support. Might have won over more fans. Contador is not inexpensive, but probably cheaper than the Schlecks, Cancellara, and Voigt combined.
    In 2010 Saxo bank won Paris-Roubaix and Tour of Flanders along with the TdF white jersey and Andy putting on a hell of a show with Alberto in that race.

This year Riis was ecstatic with Nick Nuyens' Tour of Flanders win and of course Alberto's maglia rosa. However as big as all these races are, it has not necessarily translated into sponsors being in it for the long haul (something along the lines of Quick Step). That is why a merger with Astana would be plausible.

Besides how else could they compete in the era of the super teams? ie. Schleck-Shack, BMC, Sky...
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Saxo has denied it. Astana is in trouble and may be Pro Conti next year

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    The real story IMO is Froome. Yes; amazing form and performance at the V...but does he have the chops to maintain that level? He just came out of thin air from my vantage point but I'd love to see him shine. But at Saxo...?
    Britain's Chris Froome has signed a new three-year contract with Team Sky.
    BBC Sport - Chris Froome extends contract with Team Sky

Where's that GPS?

"But at Saxo...?"

Quote Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post
    Well often it is part of the strategy so that if talks did break down they're covered as this "merger" was never real to begin with...as they told us.

Okay, Froome choose to stick it out at Sky despite being used like a whipped mule while in the Vaulta Leader's jersey - kid obviously doesn't suffer from pride. Well I wish him luck.

However, I think he would have been better off at Saxo where Riis would have polished him as he did Fabian and so many others.

Note: Fabian has not been the same since leaving Saxo. Perhaps those two things are not connected, but somehow I think Sparticus thrived in the Saxo system - will Layopard-Datsun-Radio Shanty support Fabu the way Saxo did? I doubt it. Sparticus took a wrong turn in Luxembourg and never recovered. His mishap at the Worlds TT is symbolic of this.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

Where's that GPS?
    Re Merger

Now both Riis and Conti have denied the merger rumour.

I know people tend to deny until the deal is sealed but why would Conti have to speak out on that - he could have just "no comment" it or defer the business end of things to Riis - the fact that even Conti is saying no-deal seems to seal this rumour with the kiss of death.

But assuming I'm wronge, which is not unheard of, and there is a merger - with Conti's experiance with Astana, it would be hard to believe that he would agree to working with the same people again. Also, the Kazah Federation would never let that team become "Danish" - they would disolve it first I would think.

The only thing I see that tends to support the rumour is that Astana leadership seems to be trying to put Vino out in the cold - perhaps they prefer Riis as head dog?
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong