RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Stage 13 descent, time for Il Falco?

Looks like a 6.5K descent following 10K of real steep climbing. Is this enough distance for him to make up some time on the other contenders (besides Basso)? Just curious.

wheel to wheel
    He'll be going all out to take time especially out of Basso.
    Descending is not Basso's skill, although apparently Riis had him doing a lot of specific training this winter.

There are still several descents on this Giro where Il Falco could make a difference, and he's very deliberate: I'm sure he knows exactly when he will make all his breaks.

I think tomorrow Savoldelli will go, and Cunego will try to go with him.

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkes
    Looks like a 6.5K descent following 10K of real steep climbing. Is this enough distance for him to make up some time on the other contenders (besides Basso)? Just curious.
    With 10k at 9% on the climb Salvoldelli will need those descending skills to catch back onto Basso, Rujano and Cunego after they drop everyone.

Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't forget Tommy D. will be there as well. He'll probably get dropped on the descent, he's a sketchy bike handler. But he can help pace Salvoldelli before the big descent.
    The one stop spot for the wanna-be pros out there. Bikes, gear, deals, life...
    http://shouldbetraining.blogspot.com/

My eBay Store

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CabDoctor
    Don't forget Tommy D. will be there as well. He'll probably get dropped on the descent, he's a sketchy bike handler. But he can help pace Salvoldelli before the big descent.
    Yup. When the climb starts and Tommy D. is dropped by the real climbers, maybe he can eventually catch up to Savoldelli after Il Falco cracks and pace him to he summit.

AJL
    Quote Originally Posted by Under ACrookedSky
    Yup. When the climb starts and Tommy D. is dropped by the real climbers, maybe he can eventually catch up to Savoldelli after Il Falco cracks and pace him to he summit.

From reading what Savoldelli had to say about TD and TD's own comments - it's not the climbs that are the problem, it's poor peleton placing and other errors b/4 the climb where he wastes too much energy. I believe he is a true climber, but so far he's just and ok stage racer. He's been hyped so much, that everyone is expecting much more from him, IMHO.

Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
    He finished 11th on the TT. So he does have a good measure of power. He just needs to fine tune things quite a bit.
    The one stop spot for the wanna-be pros out there. Bikes, gear, deals, life...
    http://shouldbetraining.blogspot.com/

My eBay Store

Resident Dutchbag
    Quote Originally Posted by cadence90
    There are still several descents on this Giro where Il Falco could make a difference, and he's very deliberate: I'm sure he knows exactly when he will make all his breaks.
    There's tomorrow's descent after the Passo del Sempione where Salvodelli has a chance to win back some time, after that it's all uphill finishes and frankly I don't believe for a minute that he can make any difference in descents that won't be annulled straightaway on the next alpine climb.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

AJL
    CSC, particularly Ivan and Sastre are driving the temp real high b/4 the climbs, and it's just killing everyone. Savoldelli can only limit his losses atm.