your text here

Stage 13: Rodez to Revel - 195 km

The road to Mende was quite calm until the final 10k. Vino was up the road and in position to pull off a stage win until the lead group hit the Jalabert. That's where Rodriguez struck out on the steep climb and was quickly followed by Contador. If you watch the attack, Andy was on the right side of the road and seemed content to let the attack happen. He was unable to see Contador behind him dive left, go around the group, and stick to the wheel of Joaquin. Schleck didn't see Conti's reaction until it was a lil late. By the time he attempted to bridge, the road squeezed a bit and he was only able to ride at the same speed as Conti. Had he seen Conti's response to the attack, he might have been able to limit his loss. Chalk that up to inexperience of wearing the yellow.

The other talk of the day was how Conti seemed to essentially pull Rodriguez up the hill to Vino. After I finally got a chance to see the stage, it appeared to me that Conti was initially covering the attack. Once he took lead wheel, he held his tempo to keep the gap to Andy. Had he slowed to block a bit, Andy could have closed the gap. The thing that troubled me was once they passed Vino, Rodriguez forced Conti to the lead. There, Conti slowed and kept checking his shoulder for the attack. I was surprised he didn't just strike out to get more time. In that position you are more likely to lose. And the slap of the bars from Vino? I think he was just upset he was caught and they didn't get the stage. I don't think he was mad at Contador.

Oh. And Thor has the Green again. By six points.

So Saturday the road takes them from Rodez to Revel. It is a bumpy road, but nothing too horrible. Cat4, Cat4, Sprint, Cat3, Cat4, Sprint, Cat3, descent into the tape. The Green Jersey race is pretty hot. My guess is Thor will attempt to gobble up more on the road, hoping to get them before Petacchi. So we may some good fireworks during the stage. Lampre has a pretty good lead-out, but Cavs will be trying all he can to prove he is the quickest, and his team the strongest. Thor will be up there as well, but probably tired from fighting the bumps (unless they leave it up to a breakaway to take the points. That's where Haussler would have been good). Cervelo does have Sastre to look after the next day, but he is 7:30 back. And don't forget Robbie McEwen. What about Tyler? Oh yeah. He abandoned.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Chavanel breaks and ties Cavs with three stages. No change in jerseys.

I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Petacchi. Banking on HTC Columbia needing more than one stage to adjust for being Renshaw-less. If they can, that guy is terrific.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I think they're going to be tired after today. A breakaway gets away. Thomas Voeckler takes the win.

your text here
    OMG! i totally forgot to mention him in this stage. i was planning on doing so since wednesday. thanks for bringing the islander up for me!

Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    I think they're going to be tired after today. A breakaway gets away. Thomas Voeckler takes the win.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Go Vino, go !
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover
    Go Vino, go !
    Most exciting last 10K of any stage so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    After yesterday's discussion a double whammy:

Vino wins and Cavendish (minus Renshaw and train) wins the sprint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Zzzzzzzz.

I've seen more action dodging shrubbery on my riding lawnmower.

Oh and this just in, Lance fell off his bike again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    Zzzzzzzz.

Oh and this just in, Lance fell off his bike again.

What is up with him this year, he just can't seem to stay on his bike. I mean, can he be sick or something affecting his balance? Just dosen't seem like just bad luck anymore.

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nims
    What is up with him this year, he just can't seem to stay on his bike. I mean, can he be sick or something affecting his balance? Just dosen't seem like just bad luck anymore.
    Maybe he caught a bad case of VandeVelde?
    AKA - Go Dot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godot
    Maybe he caught a bad case of VandeVelde?
    I'd like to see Christian get over his case of "Vande Velde". I feel sorry for him because he always looks really strong.
    'Lay the proud usurpers low, Tyrants fall in every foe,
    Liberty is in every blow, Let us do or die!'

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalap-inya
    I'd like to see Christian get over his case of "Vande Velde". I feel sorry for him because he always looks really strong.
    Me too.
    AKA - Go Dot

RoadBikeReview Member

Why was Popo chasing with 7K to go?

In today's stage, with about 7K to go, when Vino was trying to bridge up to Ballan, a Radioshack rider (looks like Yaroslav Popovych to me) was doing a long monstrous pull driving a group of 10 or so riders, with no other Radioshack guys around him. Why did he do that? They have no sprinters, and nobody tried to attack, so why was Popo doing the work on the front? Was it really just to reel in LL-CoolJ Sanchez for team competition? Weird...

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by nims
    When you're hanging around the back, anything can happen and it usually does...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    Zzzzzzzz.

Ain't no one wanting to go on an adventure today who plans to see Paris. Not with the next 4 stages to survive.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Vino is the man. Say what you will about him, but Vino is one of the most entertaining riders in the peloton.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11
    In today's stage, with about 7K to go, .... so why was Popo doing the work on the front? Weird...
    It was to try & keep the lead in the overall team competition. Caisse D'Epargne has Rojas up in front so RS needed more guys (besides Levi) to race for time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Astana is now primed for a superior performance in the Pyrenees. Yesterday Contador showed he has pop in his legs. Today Vino's goal is fulfilled with the win. Team unity is high and Vino will race hard for AC without reservation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Tony
    It was to try & keep the lead in the overall team competition. Caisse D'Epargne has Rojas up in front so RS needed more guys (besides Levi) to race for time.
    Rojas is a sprinter, you must be thinking of Luis Leon Sanchez. I think this whole team competition is the most insignificant, and I cannot believe how much energy Radioshack is putting in it - esp. since the upcoming mountain stages will be expected to create big time gaps.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed
    OMG! i totally forgot to mention him in this stage. i was planning on doing so since wednesday. thanks for bringing the islander up for me!
    Ah well... at least he gave it a shot.